Who Buys Their Kid A Smart Phone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by hookbill, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've talked with a couple of kids on message boards who have had Blackberry Storms. In both of those cases the kids seemed extremely intelligent and mature. And in both cases they paid for their own phones.

You have to understand, I'm so old school that I wrestle with the idea of even giving a cell phone to a kid. Cell phones didn't exist when I was a kid, and they weren't around when my brothers kids were growing up. If they had to call in they found a phone somewhere and called in.

Matter of fact my parents always gave me a dime in case I had to call in. I was not to spend that dime on candy (yes, candy was even as cheap as a nickle, I'm that old). And we had pay phones on every other corner. I know that isn't the case these days and I can understand kids perhaps needing cell phones in this day and age. But a Droid?

However I suppose it depends a great deal on the child. Even smalltowngirl13 said as her daughter gets a bit older she may have more to worry about. It's interesting to see it from another point of view.

2. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Hey Bill, let me ask you this. You mention growing up old school and such, which is different from some of us but yet you still are on this forum, all of us owning smartphones.

So let me ask you this, do YOU NEED your droid (or smartphone), or do you just WANT it?

I fear for a lot of people (including myself) I just want it, so how does this differ from a 16yr old who wants a cool phone too? I see NO difference, do you?

Seems to me coming from you, this has less and less to do with the kid having a phone but more and more of the decisions as a parent delegating responsibility to their child, am I right?

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    No I don't need a smart phone, I wanted one. But in my mind a kid can want something an not necessarily have to have it. I wanted a car when I was 16 and I didn't get one. It didn't hurt me to walk to school.

If a kid wants a smart phone and they pay for it themselves and they are responsible enough to own it after viewing other responses I can see some point to it. I'm still not convinced but I'm a little more flexible then I was in my OP.

4. TimChgo9

TimChgo9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I run my household my way, period. I cannot fathom just letting my kids have the run of things. The inmates DO NOT run the asylum. Everything is not "locked down", I limit my kids to what they can see, watch, and take part in. I can do that, I am their father, it is my responsibility. It's no a "they can't have it" it is a "They can have it under my supervision, within the limits I set". It worked pretty good for my parents when they raised my siblings and I, and it has worked fairly well now.

I have to raise my kids and raise them well. I have to raise them with a sense of responsibility, integrity, and morality, so when they grow older they have the skills to make good decisions. I restrict according to age... My 17 year old watches "Family Guy"....That show is not appropriate for the 8 and 9 year old. My 9 year old is pretty tech savvy. He makes his own videos on the computer, he is handy with a digital camera, and knows how to do quite a bit on the internet.... therefore, because he is young, and inexperienced, he works under my supervision while online so I can guide him.... Leaving him unattended is asking for trouble.

My nine year old was arguing with me about using the internet how he wanted . He said "We live in a free country." to which I replied.... "Outside the doors of this house, and confines of this family, is a free country....Inside is a benevolent dictatorship, your freedoms are what I say they are."

It's a simple formula: Follow the rules, and gain trust, you will be fine. Break the rules or violate trust, you will be restricted.

5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Bill, I'd say we pretty much agree then. The fact that you are more open minded says mountains about your character. I think having both responsibility and technology helps in every way, and the positives outweigh the negatives. :)

I have to be honest, after reading your entire post this meant nothing, what you really described was:

I can't agree with that, but whatever works for you I guess. It really sounds like you are one hell of a power trip to me man.

6. TimChgo9

TimChgo9 Member

Ratings:
    +0

I sat here and thought about this. For thirty minutes I wrote, erased, and wrote again. All I can say is this: Power trip? No. Beyond that, I am not replying. CK said keep it civil, so I shall.

7. ShowTime

ShowTime Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I read through all the posts and changed my mind about what I wanted to say at least 5 or 6 times... in the end, I decided to go with a sarcastic opening, followed by a short, somewhat legitimate response. Ahem....

It was my understanding that being able to go on a power trip whenever you want was one of the biggest perks of parenthood. Was I misled? I was really looking forward to this... Also, this all just points to the fact that there should be some type of mandates and an aptitude test to become a parent (this is still part of my sarcastic opening, so don't fly off the handle...) and that children should have GPS chips implanted at birth and be locked in their rooms when they are now mowing the lawn or going to school.
    In seriousness though, I'm only 23 and have no intentions of having children any time in the next 4 years or so, but while the idea of being a dad is incredibly exciting, it's also terrifying. I'm not that old, but the world has already changed so much since I was a young kid. I won't even get in to specifics of what I did or didn't do or have, or how my parents raised me... but suffice it to say, I think I turned out great, but even my mom admits that a portion of that was just sheer luck. No one will ever be a perfect parent and there will never be one universally accepted parenting method, so raise your kids how you see fit and as long as you love them, do your best to raise them well, treat them right and help them succeed... it might still annoy me, but God bless.

oh and at this point, no, young kids don't need a smartphone. I personally, don't really see a need for kids younger than 16 to have any cellphone (they can't go places on their own and you know where they are if you dropped them off there. they have internet at home and see their friends every day at school). Will my view change once I'm a parent? Who knows.

8. bpad10

bpad10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I remember growing up watching my older cousins drink and then go race out on the ice...kids think their invincible. I also remember sneaking out of the house to go visit friends or a girlfriend. Innocent intention don't always have innocent consequences...one of my cousins ended up in a coma for several weeks and a friend was killed when. He was suppose to be safe and sound in bed.

I have an older friend that has a 14 yr old daughter....she was recently caught online talking to a 21 yr old gentleman. She said she was 19 to him.....I guess the talk was very graphic. While she's pretending to be older this situation can turn out horrific.

Its not the technology itself that is dangerous....its the people that use it incorrectly and for sadistic means......
    Kids....you are not invincible.....as an adult we learn a lot the hard way. We hope and pray that you don't have to go through the same turmoil and pain we went through or have seen.

9. Accomodator

Accomodator New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hrmm no smart phones for kids.....

I think it depends on the child, if they could have one. By the time I was 12 I built 5 computers and always had internet access since then,if your worried about them having access to the internet it's simple shut off your cell phones, computers, playstations and xboxes. Kids have friends and their friends have the internet so chances are they already started doing things you would not approve of. Now back to my main point You can not shut your kids off from the internet even if you do at your house, your intentions might be good but the efforts are in vein in my opinion. Ultimately it's up to your kid what he/she is going to be doing on the internet home or otherwise. Saying you don't want your kids to go through the things you had to go etc etc is too cliche. Life = Experience, bad times,sad times,fun times. But the funny thing I see a lot is I've seen kids make better life decisions than most adults I know.

10. drummerq

drummerq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    me and my opinion

hey guys,

my opinion will be from a different angle couse im just 16. I got the moto droid about two months ago after trading in my Razr. I understand your points about kids not needing them and i completly agree. I dont need a smart phone at all but then again its just nicer. I look at it t his way, a person can have a really nice car that goes really fast and is super luxurious or someone can by the cheapest thing they can find that works. i understand this isnt a perfect inaligy but i hope you see my point. Im not the poorest person and understand that i can have some things that other people cant, but a smartphone to me was somethin i wanted and i thought was worth having.

i also would like to say that it really depends on the kid. I would consider myself a pretty knowledgable person when it comes to technology. I use the internet(alot), and i download tons of apps. I use the phone to its fullest. However other people (like my sister) have a smartphone and dont use any of the features that thhy pay extra for except facebook. She has the droid eris and trully doesnt deserve it (this frustrates me so much). All she does is text and use facebook, not neccesary at all. She is 14 which i believe is a perfectly fine age for a smart phone as long as u use it right.

Also every family is differnt. When I was younger my parents had a stupid rule about no xbox on monday so thatt id start of the school week strong. I thought this was stupid but thats what my family did, everyone has a family and their all different.

Another point is what exactly do smartphones do. They really (for kids) are used for texting, apps, and internet. I know u know this but every kid nowadays had an itouch. They can have tons of apps on this and in most places go on the intenet. parents who dont believe their kids should have smartphones should look at it like this. If they already have an itouch and a phone, its just mixing the two into one. (sorry to bring up an apple product)

I guess to sum up what i said its just that you cant say that a kid doesnt deserve it without knowing him. Every kid is different and would use the phone differently.

Id like to end with one point. Every kid needs a phone in todays society. This isnt a want its a need. you need to be able to contact your parents all all times. people have school, practice, parties Exc. but your parent need to be able to contact you. Kids dont need the nicest most exspensive smartphone, but they do need a phone

**Sorry for the long post, just kept putting ideas down, hope it gives another good oppinion to the mix to talk about, and i suck at spelling**

11. Azrazura

Azrazura New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :droideris:
    I am 17*Turned yesterday* and even i agree, but for myself! i Bought my own droid, and my father helps me pay for the bill, i got this phone "Droid Eris" cause i needed a good phone for Emails, Picture Messages, Internet, Maps, Good Calling, MP3, Memory, and Most important w/Google! i do text now and then, but touch screens as such prevent me from doing it at school which helps me concentrate more. To me, the texting sucks badly on Droid Eris, one of the reasons i got it. But parents can put restrictions on smart phones which is a great advantage cause they are basically computers to a point, i myself have placed filters on my phone for when friends borrow it using WebSense. I know most kids (90% of the friends i have) own a myspace, and most parents are concerned of how and who they talk to people, I have filters on my own Myspace aswell, such as who can Email, add me, comment, or look at even my URL for my Myspace. I am the type of teen who is mature and raised right enough to know not to be stupid about talking to certain people and getting on Bad things online.
    If you get a kid a smart phone. atleast put filters on them is all i am saying.
    i mainly only use my phone for Emergency calls, Google"Research" or Google Maps W/GPS cause i drive alot. from work.

12. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    It wasn't my intention to criticize you, I'm only acknowledging the fact that I disagree and why, your post made you sound like you were on a bit of a power-trip, you honestly sounded pretty militant man. MY HOUSE MY RULES MY WAY! tends to do this. This doesn't mean that you are, it's just how you came off to me. I exposed this with the hope you'd (in a controlled way as you did here) better explain and prove me wrong. That's all. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
convince parents to get a smartphone
how to convince my parents to get me a smartphone
how to convince parents to get a smartphone
how to convince your parents to buy you a smartphone
how to convince your parents to get a smartphone
how to convince your parents to get you a smart phone

how to convince your parents to get you a smartphone

how to convince your parents to let you get a smartphone
how to convince your parents you need a smartphone