Who Buys Their Kid A Smart Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I read through all the posts and changed my mind about what I wanted to say at least 5 or 6 times... in the end, I decided to go with a sarcastic opening, followed by a short, somewhat legitimate response. Ahem....

It was my understanding that being able to go on a power trip whenever you want was one of the biggest perks of parenthood. Was I misled? I was really looking forward to this... Also, this all just points to the fact that there should be some type of mandates and an aptitude test to become a parent (this is still part of my sarcastic opening, so don't fly off the handle...) and that children should have GPS chips implanted at birth and be locked in their rooms when they are now mowing the lawn or going to school.
In seriousness though, I'm only 23 and have no intentions of having children any time in the next 4 years or so, but while the idea of being a dad is incredibly exciting, it's also terrifying. I'm not that old, but the world has already changed so much since I was a young kid. I won't even get in to specifics of what I did or didn't do or have, or how my parents raised me... but suffice it to say, I think I turned out great, but even my mom admits that a portion of that was just sheer luck. No one will ever be a perfect parent and there will never be one universally accepted parenting method, so raise your kids how you see fit and as long as you love them, do your best to raise them well, treat them right and help them succeed... it might still annoy me, but God bless.

oh and at this point, no, young kids don't need a smartphone. I personally, don't really see a need for kids younger than 16 to have any cellphone (they can't go places on their own and you know where they are if you dropped them off there. they have internet at home and see their friends every day at school). Will my view change once I'm a parent? Who knows.

bpad10

Reaction score
I remember growing up watching my older cousins drink and then go race out on the ice...kids think their invincible. I also remember sneaking out of the house to go visit friends or a girlfriend. Innocent intention don't always have innocent consequences...one of my cousins ended up in a coma for several weeks and a friend was killed when. He was suppose to be safe and sound in bed.

I have an older friend that has a 14 yr old daughter....she was recently caught online talking to a 21 yr old gentleman. She said she was 19 to him.....I guess the talk was very graphic. While she's pretending to be older this situation can turn out horrific.

Its not the technology itself that is dangerous....its the people that use it incorrectly and for sadistic means......
Kids....you are not invincible.....as an adult we learn a lot the hard way. We hope and pray that you don't have to go through the same turmoil and pain we went through or have seen.

Accomodator

Reaction score
Hrmm no smart phones for kids.....

I think it depends on the child, if they could have one. By the time I was 12 I built 5 computers and always had internet access since then,if your worried about them having access to the internet it's simple shut off your cell phones, computers, playstations and xboxes. Kids have friends and their friends have the internet so chances are they already started doing things you would not approve of. Now back to my main point You can not shut your kids off from the internet even if you do at your house, your intentions might be good but the efforts are in vein in my opinion. Ultimately it's up to your kid what he/she is going to be doing on the internet home or otherwise. Saying you don't want your kids to go through the things you had to go etc etc is too cliche. Life = Experience, bad times,sad times,fun times. But the funny thing I see a lot is I've seen kids make better life decisions than most adults I know.

drummerq

Reaction score
me and my opinion

hey guys,

my opinion will be from a different angle couse im just 16. I got the moto droid about two months ago after trading in my Razr. I understand your points about kids not needing them and i completly agree. I dont need a smart phone at all but then again its just nicer. I look at it t his way, a person can have a really nice car that goes really fast and is super luxurious or someone can by the cheapest thing they can find that works. i understand this isnt a perfect inaligy but i hope you see my point. Im not the poorest person and understand that i can have some things that other people cant, but a smartphone to me was somethin i wanted and i thought was worth having.

i also would like to say that it really depends on the kid. I would consider myself a pretty knowledgable person when it comes to technology. I use the internet(alot), and i download tons of apps. I use the phone to its fullest. However other people (like my sister) have a smartphone and dont use any of the features that thhy pay extra for except facebook. She has the droid eris and trully doesnt deserve it (this frustrates me so much). All she does is text and use facebook, not neccesary at all. She is 14 which i believe is a perfectly fine age for a smart phone as long as u use it right.

Also every family is differnt. When I was younger my parents had a stupid rule about no xbox on monday so thatt id start of the school week strong. I thought this was stupid but thats what my family did, everyone has a family and their all different.

Another point is what exactly do smartphones do. They really (for kids) are used for texting, apps, and internet. I know u know this but every kid nowadays had an itouch. They can have tons of apps on this and in most places go on the intenet. parents who dont believe their kids should have smartphones should look at it like this. If they already have an itouch and a phone, its just mixing the two into one. (sorry to bring up an apple product)

I guess to sum up what i said its just that you cant say that a kid doesnt deserve it without knowing him. Every kid is different and would use the phone differently.

Id like to end with one point. Every kid needs a phone in todays society. This isnt a want its a need. you need to be able to contact your parents all all times. people have school, practice, parties Exc. but your parent need to be able to contact you. Kids dont need the nicest most exspensive smartphone, but they do need a phone

**Sorry for the long post, just kept putting ideas down, hope it gives another good oppinion to the mix to talk about, and i suck at spelling**

Azrazura

Reaction score
I see it all the time in here, and for you kids that see this please don't take offense. What parent, in their right mind buys their kid a smart phone? I don't care it it's Windows Mobile, Blackberry Storm, or Droid. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying don't get your kids nice things. Spoil the hell out of the little rug rats if you want, that's your business. But man, do you not realize that giving a kid a smart phone is giving them almost total unlimited access to the internet. Unsupervised?

I'm not a parent. Never had an interest in kids, and I'm not saying I would do a better job if I did have a child. But I know there is just no way I would give my kid a Droid. A play station, yes. But a phone? they'd get the cheapest phone I could find. With clear instructions that there would be no texting during school hours.

Yet I see kids as young as 13 years old with Droids. Heck even if they got the money to buy their own Droid I still wouldn't let them have one. Confiscated until they are 18 (by then they wouldn't want the Droid):icon_ devil:

I have heard from some kids who say that they have proven to their parents that they are responsible enough and have got their parents trust. I wouldn't do it, just too much stuff out there for them to get in trouble with.

That's my opinion. I'd be happy to hear yours if you agree with me or disagree with me.

:droideris:
I am 17*Turned yesterday* and even i agree, but for myself! i Bought my own droid, and my father helps me pay for the bill, i got this phone "Droid Eris" cause i needed a good phone for Emails, Picture Messages, Internet, Maps, Good Calling, MP3, Memory, and Most important w/Google! i do text now and then, but touch screens as such prevent me from doing it at school which helps me concentrate more. To me, the texting sucks badly on Droid Eris, one of the reasons i got it. But parents can put restrictions on smart phones which is a great advantage cause they are basically computers to a point, i myself have placed filters on my phone for when friends borrow it using WebSense. I know most kids (90% of the friends i have) own a myspace, and most parents are concerned of how and who they talk to people, I have filters on my own Myspace aswell, such as who can Email, add me, comment, or look at even my URL for my Myspace. I am the type of teen who is mature and raised right enough to know not to be stupid about talking to certain people and getting on Bad things online.
If you get a kid a smart phone. atleast put filters on them is all i am saying.
i mainly only use my phone for Emergency calls, Google"Research" or Google Maps W/GPS cause i drive alot. from work.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Bill, I'd say we pretty much agree then. The fact that you are more open minded says mountains about your character. I think having both responsibility and technology helps in every way, and the positives outweigh the negatives. :)

It's a simple formula: Follow the rules, and gain trust, you will be fine. Break the rules or violate trust, you will be restricted.

I have to be honest, after reading your entire post this meant nothing, what you really described was:

"you will be restricted" And if you resist, you will be restricted even farther. Period.
I can't agree with that, but whatever works for you I guess. It really sounds like you are one hell of a power trip to me man.

I sat here and thought about this. For thirty minutes I wrote, erased, and wrote again. All I can say is this: Power trip? No. Beyond that, I am not replying. CK said keep it civil, so I shall.

It wasn't my intention to criticize you, I'm only acknowledging the fact that I disagree and why, your post made you sound like you were on a bit of a power-trip, you honestly sounded pretty militant man. MY HOUSE MY RULES MY WAY! tends to do this. This doesn't mean that you are, it's just how you came off to me. I exposed this with the hope you'd (in a controlled way as you did here) better explain and prove me wrong. That's all. :)

Fuglly

Reaction score
i get pissed when i see people being spoiled by their parents. For me, i've earned my way through life. I'll be 18 in the summer and everything I have I've earned with my own sweat. Whether it be the 5 jobs i've heald, the Lincoln Navigator I drive, or my position playing for the Minnesota Gophers this next year, none of it has come easy... or free. It's better to earn your way through life rather then get free things (but those are good too ;) ). Working for your own things builds character, something alot of kids don't have these days.

DroidFan

Reaction score
You do realize that kids at 14 these days are having sex right? even 25 years ago they were at 15.... so saying a 14 year old is not old enough to have a smart phone is wrong imo. Again the answer here is being a good parent and teaching your kids to be responsible.

I have to respectfully disagree. Just because a 14 or 15 y.o. kid is having sex doesn't mean their responsible enough to be having sex. They may know about condoms or birth control... they may even be responsible enough to actually USE contraception, but it doesn't mean they are old enough or mature enough to handle the intimacy or emotions involved to engage in such a physical act maturely or responsibly.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, for the 16 year old who said all kids need a phone. I agree with you. Since pay phones are no longer available and every kid has one I think its fine. I don't like all the texting. But that's like how we passed notes. However if I was your parent you'd have to work on your spelling a bit to get a smart phone.:) Just to let you know, I have spelling problems too.;)

To the 17 year old you paid for your own phone and at your age I don't have an issue. Its the younger teens, 13 to 15 that I really question having a smart phone. But I suppose you can't apply the same rule to every kid. I'm glad you use your phone responsibly.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
You do realize that kids at 14 these days are having sex right? even 25 years ago they were at 15.... so saying a 14 year old is not old enough to have a smart phone is wrong imo. Again the answer here is being a good parent and teaching your kids to be responsible.

I have to respectfully disagree. Just because a 14 or 15 y.o. kid is having sex doesn't mean their responsible enough to be having sex. They may know about condoms or birth control... they may even be responsible enough to actually USE contraception, but it doesn't mean they are old enough or mature enough to handle the intimacy or emotions involved to engage in such a physical act maturely or responsibly.

Human evolution disagrees with you. Society today has established this as a taboo, and overprotective sheltering has been the cause of it. We manufacture rules to live by, and I don't think the chicken was before the egg in this instance. But this is a whole other can of beans isn't it? Lets just stick with phones. lol.

Fuglly

Reaction score
Well, for the 16 year old who said all kids need a phone. I agree with you. Since pay phones are no longer available and every kid has one I think its fine. I don't like all the texting. But that's like how we passed notes. However if I was your parent you'd have to work on your spelling a bit to get a smart phone.:) Just to let you know, I have spelling problems too.;)

To the 17 year old you paid for your own phone and at your age I don't have an issue. Its the younger teens, 13 to 15 that I really question having a smart phone. But I suppose you can't apply the same rule to every kid. I'm glad you use your phone responsibly.

my little cousin, at the age of 7, just got a, drom roll please.... Ipod touch, wii, and a hellofa lot of other toys all for christmas. Who needs to earn your way through life when you can get it all for free? I like the kid but he is gonna be mighty spoiled growing up the way he is now

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

my little cousin, at the age of 7, just got a, drom roll please.... Ipod touch, wii, and a hellofa lot of other toys all for christmas. Who needs to earn your way through life when you can get it all for free? I like the kid but he is gonna be mighty spoiled growing up the way he is now

I see a lot of this as well, very unfortunate. I had very little grown up so I'm used to working for what I want. I actually hate Christmas because it becomes a big deal in my family to buy gifts for people who already have everything they want. Such a PITA.

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
I see it all the time in here, and for you kids that see this please don't take offense. What parent, in their right mind buys their kid a smart phone? I don't care it it's Windows Mobile, Blackberry Storm, or Droid. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying don't get your kids nice things. Spoil the hell out of the little rug rats if you want, that's your business. But man, do you not realize that giving a kid a smart phone is giving them almost total unlimited access to the internet. Unsupervised?

I'm not a parent. Never had an interest in kids, and I'm not saying I would do a better job if I did have a child. But I know there is just no way I would give my kid a Droid. A play station, yes. But a phone? they'd get the cheapest phone I could find. With clear instructions that there would be no texting during school hours.

Yet I see kids as young as 13 years old with Droids. Heck even if they got the money to buy their own Droid I still wouldn't let them have one. Confiscated until they are 18 (by then they wouldn't want the Droid):icon_ devil:

I have heard from some kids who say that they have proven to their parents that they are responsible enough and have got their parents trust. I wouldn't do it, just too much stuff out there for them to get in trouble with.

That's my opinion. I'd be happy to hear yours if you agree with me or disagree with me.

No offense or anything but if you don't trust your kids to follow your rules then its your fault that you haven't disciplined them enough.

Jllaugh

Reaction score
I can understand what the OP says about unlimited, unsupervised access to the internet, but that doesn't necessarily mean kids shouldn't have smartphones. You *can* block internet access on the phone if it's that much of an issue. While this pretty much degeats much of the purpose of a smartphone, it does alleviate that one concern, while a child can still enjoy apps or other features. I don't disagree with OP, just saying internet access doesn't necessarily rule out a phone being a good or bad thing to give a child.

What would be my first thought personally would be, with as active kids are, how much ground they cover and how hard they can be on things, there's no way I would spend two hundred dollars on a phone they'll likely beat to death and costs a hundred dollars to replace with insurance. I'd probably never even get far enough in this scenario to have to worry about the phone's ability to be online.

Fuglly

Reaction score

I see a lot of this as well, very unfortunate. I had very little grown up so I'm used to working for what I want. I actually hate Christmas because it becomes a big deal in my family to buy gifts for people who already have everything they want. Such a PITA.

exactly. Work for your own stuff. If you aren't willing to sweat for it, you don't deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.