Whew , Hi. Been away for awhile. Is it worth it?

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Long time Motorola Guy. Have a Droid Turbo. Not 2 not anything just the Turbo. Need a phone (probably) is the z2 play going to keep my Moto Love alive?

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
My last phone was a Turbo. I think you would like the Z2, also.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good to see you around again Captain.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy .... Been lurking was out of the loop for a little while. Really been milking my Droid Turbo for lots of reasons.
No desire to jump to iLand. Other offerings these days just don't do it for me like my allegiance to simplicity.
Drive a Jeep. Phone has always been a Motorola all the way back to my first StarTac
Not sure what is coming later this year for moto but they offered this up and I figured why not.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
We have several things in common. I drive only Jeeps, Army vets, PA, and enjoy Moto phones.

Moto has previously announced that there would be 3 years of Moto Z phones, and all Moto Mods from all 3 years will be compatible. So we are expecting a Moto Z3 lineup sometime this Summer.

But the current deals on the Z2 phones are pretty sweet. My wife and daughter each have a Z2 Play and they are awesome. Even with the smaller battery, that newer chip gets great battery life.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Got a z2 force. Love it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
We have several things in common. I drive only Jeeps, Army vets, PA, and enjoy Moto phones.

Moto has previously announced that there would be 3 years of Moto Z phones, and all Moto Mods from all 3 years will be compatible. So we are expecting a Moto Z3 lineup sometime this Summer.

But the current deals on the Z2 phones are pretty sweet. My wife and daughter each have a Z2 Play and they are awesome. Even with the smaller battery, that newer chip gets great battery life.

Verizon (in an attempt to solve some issues) made the offer of the Z2 basically close to free after waived this and credited that. I was occasionally glancing at phone offerings these days. The only one that sort of had my interest was the Google but only for a brief moment.
In reality I need my phone to do very few things, just like it when they do it well. Phone, reception, email, web searches, directions, battery life - that's about it.
I don't want HUGE and I don't need lots of neat tricks or gaming etc. Probably why I've always leaned Motorola going back to the Startac.... it was just a cool little phone.
So, it arrives tomorrow. We shall see.
Then the typical things like case/no-case etc......
As always, appreciate the input. As for the Force, that wasn't offered by Vz or perhaps I would have gone that way as well.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good deal. So they gave you a Z2 Play, I assume?

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good deal. So they gave you a Z2 Play, I assume?

That's their plan (-: .... The Droid Turbo is getting a little long in the tooth and periodically doing some weird stuff so I called them (a frustration as always) after multiple calls, chats, etc - some even resulting in me just saying "Ya know. Just Cancel my service after 31 years with a company this juice just ain't worth the squeeze"...
They offered the Z2Play. So I said ok. Worst case, I send it back or after a year or so just buy something else. I really did like the form/fit/function of the Droid Turbo. Probably one of my all time favorites.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Turbo was awesome, I liked it a lot also. I think you'll like the Z2 Play.

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Turbo was awesome, I liked it a lot also. I think you'll like the Z2 Play.

Suggestions on case, screen protector etc.. ? I'm a plan for the best kinda guy.... IF I like the phone, I like accessories on hand almost simultaneously.
Or maybe the phone screams "leave me alone" I'm not so sure my Turbo wasn't negatively effected by its case. Seems like it is working better since I removed it last day or so.
Maybe my calls to Verizon caused a tech button to be pushed on the Master Board giving it a few more weeks of function after I said just go ahead and cancel me (-:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My suggestion is: if you plan on using any Moto Mods, go without a case or just a simple bumper case. If you have no intention of using Moto Mods get a thin case that adds a little "grip". You either need a Style Shell Mod or case to protect the back of the phone and the Moto Mod pins. I don't think anyone makes a case that fits over a Style Shell. So it's either no Moto Mods / Style Shell attached & a case. Or Style Shell & Moto Mods without a case, or bumper case.

As far as screen protectors, I haven't used one on a Gorilla Glass screen in years. In my opinion modern Gorilla Glass is very scratch resistant and doesn't need a screen protector. That's just my opinion though, I know many people use them on Gorilla Glass. Shattershield screens absolutely need a screen protector, but the Z2 Play is not Shattershield, it's traditional Gorilla Glass.

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is: if you plan on using any Moto Mods, go without a case or just a simple bumper case. If you have no intention of using Moto Mods get a thin case that adds a little "grip". You either need a Style Shell Mod or case to protect the back of the phone and the Moto Mod pins. I don't think anyone makes a case that fits over a Style Shell. So it's either no Moto Mods / Style Shell attached & a case. Or Style Shell & Moto Mods without a case, or bumper case.

As far as screen protectors, I haven't used one on a Gorilla Glass screen in years. In my opinion modern Gorilla Glass is very scratch resistant and doesn't need a screen protector. That's just my opinion though, I know many people use them on Gorilla Glass. Shattershield screens absolutely need a screen protector, but the Z2 Play is not Shattershield, it's traditional Gorilla Glass.

VERY helpful. Thank you.