Moto Droid Turbo 1 Marshmallow roll out begins

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
ap_resize.php

I'm pretty happy about this one, even though I don't have a Turbo anymore. I have stuck up for Motorola in the past anytime a Turbo owner asked if the Turbo was getting M. "Yes, but probably not for awhile yet" I would always respond. I hate to say: I told you so! Actually, No, I don't. I told you so.
Verizon started rolling out Marshmallow (6.0.1) to the Droid Turbo this weekend. Yes, that's right, Verizon is rolling out Motorola's 6.0.1 to a phone that is now over 2 years old. Apparently, there was a soak test last month and that went well enough for Motorola to approve a final version. It's nice to see Motorola continue to support the flagships, even if really late. Hopefully I won't have to wait so long for Nougat on my T2.
Are there any Turbo owners left here? Did you get your update yet?

Source: AndroidPolice

Last edited:

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to "M" (I know what James Bond would say) "Yes, If you have a fetish for old chicks I guess" anyway.
My Turbo runs great and is very stable as she sits now with 5.1.
Not in the market for a new phone right now so upsetting the apple cart would be bad.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
There are a few advantages but I would say it was more of a 'tock' update if you are familiar with that term. Intel's famous 'tick, tock' upgrade schedule where one upgrade is major (tick) and the next is minor (tock). Lollipop was the 'tick'.

Here's a short list of stuff that's new in M:
  • Google On Tap. You can send a snap of whatever is on your screen to Google and it will provide context specific information. IMO, more gimmick then anything. More info from Goog: CLICK ME!
  • Improvements to Doze and some new battery optimization control over apps.
  • Granular permissions for apps is my favorite M feature. Every app will ask you if it can have permissions for each specific thing it wants to access. Example, Hangouts does not have access to my microphone so I never accidentally call anyone. :D
  • System UI Tuner which gives you control over what shows in your settings menu and tweaks for a few other things.
  • Better Copy + Paste of text.
Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
There are a few advantages but I would say it was more of a 'tock' update if you are familiar with that term. Intel's famous 'tick, tock' upgrade schedule where one upgrade is major (tick) and the next is minor (tock). Lollipop was the 'tick'.

Here's a short list of stuff that's new in M:
  • Google On Tap. You can send a snap of whatever is on your screen to Google and it will provide context specific information. IMO, more gimmick then anything. More info from Goog: CLICK ME!
  • Improvements to Doze and some new battery optimization control over apps.
  • Granular permissions for apps is my favorite M feature. Every app will ask you if it can have permissions for each specific thing it wants to access. Example, Hangouts does not have access to my microphone so I never accidentally call anyone. :D
  • System UI Tuner which gives you control over what shows in your settings menu and tweaks for a few other things.
  • Better Copy + Paste of text.
Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Thank you. I like the tick/tock reference very explanatory in its simplicity. I might actually adopt that when speaking with my Wife who likes to "tell stories" rather than saying "Honey, whats the bottom line" which she hates. I might say, "Can we get to tock, soon".
I suppose IF there are security "patches" contained within that is a big deal as long as the "update" doesn't booger anything up which sometimes in the past I have wondered if that was accidental on purpose to move people who are "stuck" to a new phone.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had it too since Saturday morning. So far it's been ok for me. But if you have encryption enabled and bootup password..you might want to wait a bit before taking the update.

JDH

Reaction score
No joy here. I haven't even had a security update since 4/16. Went to settings and check for updates. Still 5.1

realged13

Reaction score
After the Note 7 fiasco, I went back to my hand Turbo. Luckily, nearing the 2 year mark my phone got cracked. Got a new one send back. So like I got a brand new phone all over again. Good news for me.

JDH

Reaction score
I read a couple post on another forum and it seems that several folks got bricked by the update so maybe Verizon decided to suspend the OTA till it gets fixed.
???

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can neither confirm nor deny....Fight Club

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I can only confirm a successful upgrade with my Moto Droid Turbo. I'm not using it since I got my Moto Z Force at least not with a provider. Strictly WiFi and did the upgrade.

blufftontiger

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 64GB
I have been waiting what seems like years for this update. Unfortunately, nothing for me yet. I do love my turbo 1! I still have my original Moto Droid and Droid Bionic, too.