First Gen Droid Turbo Gets an Update... without Marshmallow

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-Droid-Turbo-Blue-ballistic-nylon.jpg

Owners of the OG Motorola Droid Turbo might be pleasantly surprised by a new update to their device, but they should temper that with a sobering reality check. That's because it is (sadly) NOT Android 6.0.1, but is simply a security and bug fix update.

The update actually started pushing out late last Friday, so you may have already received it over the weekend. We will keep you updated as to when/if Marshmallow ever does come to the Droid Turbo. In the mean-time, here's our dedicated section for further discussion: Motorola Droid Turbo

Source: Verizon

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Android phones getting SECURITY updates? This is not something to be sad about. We should be rejoicing. Thanking Moto.
The T1 will get M. Some day. I have no doubt.

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
PereDroid, Don't hold your breath, it's almost been 2 years since the phone was released. and when it was released it was with a previous version of the OS.

Last edited:

Arcube

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon Droid Turbo
I have a rooted droid turbo with team win recovery (TWRP) and this update is causing it to reboot into TWRP and then it stops!. I can reboot it into system but then it powers off again and reboots into TWRP so a soft bootloop.

Dont ask why I decided to install the update!

Any ideas on how to skip/stop it from installing the update OR how to install stock verizon recovery so that it does not get into bootloop.

Melonhed

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 1st edition XT1254
Same prob. Installed 5.1.1 update w/o researching outcome 1st.
Also unlocked, rooted w/ TWRP.
I did at least make a backup in recovery after I 1st rooted. So I went back to that point & got past the stuck in twrp bootloop. However, seems the update download is still there & the phone still wants me to install the update.
So...... Each day I get a reminder to install, & daily... I hit remind me later, set time for 23 hrs & 59 min in the future as it only gives a 24 hrs option.
I would also LOVE it if someone has a solution, could you please share.
Thx!!

JDH

Reaction score
I just checked my T1 updates and I'm up to date, however, last update was 5/14/16.

Arcube

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon Droid Turbo
Same prob. Installed 5.1.1 update w/o researching outcome 1st.
Also unlocked, rooted w/ TWRP.
I did at least make a backup in recovery after I 1st rooted. So I went back to that point & got past the stuck in twrp bootloop. However, seems the update download is still there & the phone still wants me to install the update.
So...... Each day I get a reminder to install, & daily... I hit remind me later, set time for 23 hrs & 59 min in the future as it only gives a 24 hrs option.
I would also LOVE it if someone has a solution, could you please share.
Thx!!

To avoid bootloop, I took sim out so it had no network; Upgrade completed as an "offline" install.
I disabled com.motorola.ccc.ota via adb shell to avoid that annoying notification every day.
Use root shell and then use pm (package manager) disable command to disable com.motorola.ccc.ota

mephisto_kur

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
This is most definitely the last carrier branded phone I will ever buy. I love this thing as is, but with all the new security issues and functionality that I am now missing and no update on the timeline... it is obvious that this thing is likely never getting that update.

A true shame. This phone is a tank with awesome internals.