Where's the update?

mnlong57

Reaction score
Try turning your Wi-Fi on and see if it starts downloading. I checked it said my phone was up to date. I switcvhed my Wi-Fi on and the download started.

FourFive

Reaction score
Try turning your Wi-Fi on and see if it starts downloading. I checked it said my phone was up to date. I switcvhed my Wi-Fi on and the download started.

I can confirm that turning on my WiFi changed it from "Unavailable" to the actual OTA starting to download, could just be a coincidence though.

cebosound

Reaction score
Okay. I just purchased a new Droid Bionic tonight. I was curious about getting the new update for the bionic that is supposed to fix some of the bugs. .... I went to "about phone" and clicked "System Updates"... it took a minute to do a search, then came back with the message that there is an update available. So I clicked download update. Then I installed it.

Now my System Version is:

System Version: 5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US

.... Is this the update we are talking about here on this thread? ... or a different one?

Thank you. :)

FourFive

Reaction score
Yes that is the correct update, there are other updates floating around but 5.5.893 is the official OTA update for now.

portermac

Reaction score
Checking for updates is unavailable at this time. That's what my phone said a week ago and that's what it says today. But yesterday it said I was up to date. Do your think I am gonna factory reset my phone. No, I am gonna wait until the update comes to my phone.
what I should have said was that verizon and tec. Support always say do a factory reset for everything and it is hardly ever needed. It you need someone with thousands of posts then go ask them, they will say the same thing. But don't do a factory reset because your haven't gotten an ota yet. It won't help.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
how can i get it back to stock?

If you flashed to any leaked build (5.5.893leak - 5.7.893 - 5.8.894) you will not be able to install OTA updates as of right now, It Will fail.
To revert back to stock, use this thread here : R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1 You can not revert back to the stock Kernel/Radio if you have installed a leak update.
There currently is nothing you can do to go back to the stock Kernel/Radio.

As for the factory reset...All that a factory reset does is wipe your phone's data/cache. It does not revert back to stock.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Checking for updates is unavailable at this time. That's what my phone said a week ago and that's what it says today. But yesterday it said I was up to date. Do your think I am gonna factory reset my phone. No, I am gonna wait until the update comes to my phone.
what I should have said was that verizon and tec. Support always say do a factory reset for everything and it is hardly ever needed. It you need someone with thousands of posts then go ask them, they will say the same thing. But don't do a factory reset because your haven't gotten an ota yet. It won't help.

All I can tell you is that during the soak test for the update. I was not getting the update that was being pushed to me or able to pull the update. I tried all the other stuff like wifi, rebooting, battery pull, etc. & nothing worked.

I kept getting the message: "check for update is not available at this time. Try again later" (I never got the message that my phone was up to date ever since I bought the phone & had it activated)
The techs working specifically with the soak testers looked into my phone account & came back & said that I was getting this message because it Looks like the phone might have registered with the Server without a SIM initially, need to factory reset to reconnect to server to get update.

A factory reset was the last thing I wanted to do but I had exhausted everything else being tried during the soak test & was instructed to do it by Motorola.

After doing the Factory reset the phone came back immediately with the message that the phone was up to date & than the next time I tried to pull the update when it was pushed out, my phone grabbed the update & asked me if I wanted to update.

Yes there are waves of the update going out & there is no rime or reason when each phone will get it, but if you are not even connected to the server than you will be waiting along time for it to show up.

In the past it seams like everybody was able to get the update after about a week or so. If you have not received it after a week or so you may want to do a factory reset.

That is if you can hold out that long !!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

It is your phone & your decision as to what is right for you based on what you read & learn. It is up to you to decide if resetting up your phone is worth it to try & get the update now or wait & see.

If you do a factory reset & the phone says that you are up to date, than it is just not your turn in the cue yet to get the update pushed to your phone.

If anybody else that is having this problem does a factory reset & than pulls the update or there message changes to "your phone is up to date" please post back on your results. There are allot of people that are wondering at this point & would like to know.

portermac

Reaction score
After my phone said checking for updates is unavailable at this time all day today I did get a little nervous. Everyone seemed to be getting it. Well I got it about an hour ago. it was on the screen when I took it our if sleep mode. So everyone be patient if you haven't gotten it. It'll come

c_mack9

Reaction score
If you flashed to any leaked build (5.5.893leak - 5.7.893 - 5.8.894) you will not be able to install OTA updates as of right now, It Will fail.
To revert back to stock, use this thread here : R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1 You can not revert back to the stock Kernel/Radio if you have installed a leak update.
There currently is nothing you can do to go back to the stock Kernel/Radio.

As for the factory reset...All that a factory reset does is wipe your phone's data/cache. It does not revert back to stock.

this worked for me too. thanks for sharing the link. without knowing what it is called, it makes it impossible to search for.

Cinoib

Reaction score
I got it Thursday night and so far I wish I had not. So far it still loses data connection even though I live in a 4g area but the up side is I've lost root so no more WiFi tether. Oh wait I guess that isn't an up side, so it's down side 2, up side 0.

I'm surprised you lost tether. Were you using SqLite to change permissions? Or were you using an app for a rooted device? I lost root after the OTA installed but my tether remained in tact (I used SqLite). I got root back thankfully.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using DroidForums