Update Hosed 4G...

billyk

Reaction score
I was a soak-tester and voiced concerns about the update prior to release. My Bionic acquired and held signals as I passed in/out of 4G areas since the day I bought it on 9/8. I got the update as part of the soak test and my 4G connection capability was severely impaired.

I work in a building where no 3G/4G signal exists. Now, the transition in/out of this no-signal area results in no 3G or 4G until I reboot the Bionic - it literally will remain unconnected for hours if I let it, in strong signal areas. Previously, 4G would handle this transition in less than a minute.

I love the Bionic otherwise, and am unsure about complaining to VZW about this, as they already heard my voice in the soak test (and many others others suggesting not to release the update) and nothing was done. I am also unsure that it's totally the Bionic update's fault - who knows what VZW is doing on their towers.

Has anyone with connection issues gotten a good result working with VZW?

Binky75

Reaction score
I got the update 2 days ago and have had nothing short of great service since I downloaded it. I was having the same issues your talking about up until then. Now I'm happy once again.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
I'm with Binky. I had very little data issues to begin with and I got the update early Tues. morning. I have not had one single issue since. I love my Bionic!

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Yep - I know the update works for some, maybe most - and that's a good thing! But for those of us that had a fully-functional 4G phone and no longer have one, this is frustrating.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Research on the 'net has surfaced that replacing the SIM card has fixed this transition issue.
Anyone here with experience with that?

Tonik

Reaction score
I love the Bionic otherwise, and am unsure about complaining to VZW about this, as they already heard my voice in the soak test....

Only Moto heard our voices in the soak test. I doubt VZW knows how badly it went. I have done a very complete and thorough wipe of my phone last night and this morning. If my data issues are not better on Monday at work where I have been having a horrendous time the last week I will certainly be calling VZ and politely and professionally raising some serious heck. We all need to call VZ. Ultimately this is their issue I think. I think they played with the tower setup/software just before the update. I don't think it is the update, I think it is a coincidence.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Good insights. I agree that many of us are in the same, unacceptable, boat.

Today, my Bionic transitioned from 3G to 4G as I drove into my local city. All fine. Then, on the way back, the 4g to 3g failed, and I just let my Bionic sit once I got home. Took about an hour for it to reconnect to the 3G network local to my house. If I would have needed to connect during that time, I'd have to reboot the Bionic. Frustrating!

Tonik

Reaction score
Took about an hour for it to reconnect.......

That is what I am seeing, not that it is dropping more often. But that it does not recover like it used to. Used to drop 4G....and a split second later I was back up on 3G. It wasn't even out long enough to crash my Pandora. It was awesome.

dlo-htown

Reaction score
Good insights. I agree that many of us are in the same, unacceptable, boat.

Today, my Bionic transitioned from 3G to 4G as I drove into my local city. All fine. Then, on the way back, the 4g to 3g failed, and I just let my Bionic sit once I got home. Took about an hour for it to reconnect to the 3G network local to my house. If I would have needed to connect during that time, I'd have to reboot the Bionic. Frustrating!

What city are you near? I'm on the outskirts of Houston and get the same behavior when my phone tries to transition between 4g and 3g, especially inside my house.

It's pretty clear that those with this real dropout issue did not see any improvement with this first OTA update. I've read that some people have gotten info that this last update wasn't supposed to address that problem, but who knows. So much rumor gets spread around, probably some of it made up by attention whores.

Bottom line is we shouldn't have to jack with our phone contiuously to keep it connected, and this latest OTA update hasn't remedied that.

Reaction score
My bionic was great before the update. Honestly zero problems. Now I drop data and my phone freezes constantly. I am beginning to think this phone is worse than my Samsung charge!

Also...camera seemed great with update at first and now is back to its awful state again.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I have said before my phone is flawless after the update. I did a factory reset right before the update. I have a HW A model so I don't think it is a model problem. People that are experiencing issues it could be....tower/local problems, need to factory reset, sim is maybe damaged after update, ota didn't download in its entirety. I would definitely talk to verizon about these issues. I know a handful of people are having issues after update but that has happened to people with every one of the five android devices I have owned. The update sometimes screws up the system and a service tech needs to be contacted. Alot of people have had nothing but positive results with the update, so something definitely went wrong with your device, sim or tower in the process.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Talking about flawless, I needed to take the same trip into and out of 4G territory again to do errands today, on the same route that caused my Bionic to fail earlier. I monitored 3G to 4G, which worked perfectly as it did earlier. Then, on the way back from 4G to 3G, it transitioned perfectly, unlike earlier today.

Given the fact that it *can* work flawlessly, makes me think that the variables might be more on the VZW side - as absolutely nothing changed on the Bionic side.

dlo-htown

Reaction score
My bionic was great before the update. Honestly zero problems. Now I drop data and my phone freezes constantly. I am beginning to think this phone is worse than my Samsung charge!

Also...camera seemed great with update at first and now is back to its awful state again.

I'm happy with the new camera fixes, mine is still working better after the update, but I'll keep an eye out if it starts focusing slowly again. But, I only use the camera phone during times when I cannot carry my Canon DSLR around.

But at least now with the Bionic's cam, I can probably capture a fleeting moment now, whereas before, waiting 10 seconds for the thing to focus would have cost me the shot.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Thanks Stelv.

My Bionic is back to being unreliable in transition between 3G and 4G. Might do a factory reset as Stelv suggests. If I called VZW to complain about my Bionic, they'd probably ask for me to do this anyway.

If I do a factory reset, will my phone want to install the recent update again, or is the update a permanent part of the OS now that I installed it?

Thanks!

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problem. I think its part of the os now but I am not sure. Make sure your contacts are backed up first as it will erase everything.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk