When Will the ThunderBolt Be Available for Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effington

Reaction score
Reading about MWC and all the new phones coming out shortly - don't you all think that $249 is a bit high for just a (slightly) glorified Evo?

zshazz

Reaction score
Reading about MWC and all the new phones coming out shortly - don't you all think that $249 is a bit high for just a (slightly) glorified Evo?

This phone has more in common with a G2 than an Evo. Not sure why everyone continues to compare it with an Evo... yes, it has a kick stand, yes it has a 4.3" screen. It's not even the same kick stand or screen, though.

Reaction score
i would like it to be 200 but ohwell this phone is better in every way compared to the evo.. and the evo still retails for 200 and on a slightly lesser network! didnt u say something similar in the other thread?? why are you hating on the T-Bolt so much? its the perfect buy for a 1 year contract i dont want the first batch of duel core phones and 1 year from now we will have tons of choices of duel core's.. cuz there is noway ima buy a MOTO phone anyway and thats all thats comin out anytime soon!..

Effington

Reaction score
I'm hating on the Thunderbolt because as I grew tired of the games over the release date, I decided to go with the Atrix, which I consider a better phone. I'm hoping to convince "network agnostic" folks to do the same. If you're an at&t customer looking to jump ship for Verizon just for this phone, my advice is don't.

Otherwise, it seems like a cool phone and I would have still considered getting it if it wasn't for the release date being vapor to this day. At least the Atrix has a launch.

Face it people - Verizon cares more about the iPhone than Android now.

zshazz

Reaction score
Although I share disappointment with how the launch (if you can even call it that) of the Thunderbolt is going... you might want to start looking at the Atrix reviews being posted before committing. Its performance is not impressive. HSPA+ is abysmal (Engadget pegged it slower than 3g speeds). The display is pentile matrix, which could be considered a con if you're one of the types of people it really bothers. The laptop dock's performance is majorly underwhelming and extremely cost prohibitive in terms of the upfront cost (and the fact that you must pay for a "tethering" plan in order to use it).

The Motorola Atrix 4G Preview - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
Motorola Atrix 4G review -- Engadget

Effington

Reaction score
Although I share disappointment with how the launch (if you can even call it that) of the Thunderbolt is going... you might want to start looking at the Atrix reviews being posted before committing. Its performance is not impressive. HSPA+ is abysmal (Engadget pegged it slower than 3g speeds). The display is pentile matrix, which could be considered a con if you're one of the types of people it really bothers. The laptop dock's performance is majorly underwhelming and extremely cost prohibitive in terms of the upfront cost (and the fact that you must pay for a "tethering" plan in order to use it).

The Motorola Atrix 4G Preview - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
Motorola Atrix 4G review -- Engadget

Vast majority of reviews are positive, other than - as you pointed out - the network and the laptop dock. The network is a no-brainer for me; I must be one of those magical folks Verizon doesn't tell you about that lives near an area with absolutely no Verizon 3G coverage, making an LTE rollout highly unlikely anytime soon. What knocks the Thunderbolt out of the park is LTE, and without a great Verizon presence near me, the Atrix is making more sense. HSPA+ isn't why I'm getting the phone... I expect it to be about on par with at&t's 3G network at this point.

As for the laptop dock - it seems to be a gimmick more than anything. But I do like the docking feature, which I will use through my own KVM setup. I don't need a $500 shell to do any of that, if I'm mobile, I'm using the phone. I'm interesting in the Atrix's ability to run Ctirix's XenDesktop as well. So the laptop means nothing to me and I wish reviews would stop talking about it so much - it's hype initially had me dismissing the Atrix altogether.

zshazz

Reaction score
Vast majority of reviews are positive, other than - as you pointed out - the network and the laptop dock. The network is a no-brainer for me; I must be one of those magical folks Verizon doesn't tell you about that lives near an area with absolutely no Verizon 3G coverage, making an LTE rollout highly unlikely anytime soon. What knocks the Thunderbolt out of the park is LTE, and without a great Verizon presence near me, the Atrix is making more sense. HSPA+ isn't why I'm getting the phone... I expect it to be about on par with at&t's 3G network at this point.

As for the laptop dock - it seems to be a gimmick more than anything. But I do like the docking feature, which I will use through my own KVM setup. I don't need a $500 shell to do any of that, if I'm mobile, I'm using the phone. I'm interesting in the Atrix's ability to run Ctirix's XenDesktop as well. So the laptop means nothing to me and I wish reviews would stop talking about it so much - it's hype initially had me dismissing the Atrix altogether.

Well, I think that the Atrix may be best for you, then. If AT&T's service is better for you at your home, then Verizon isn't an option. It doesn't really have much to do with the phone.

The main reason the Thunderbolt is such a no brainer for me is the fact that, at least in my area, AT&T's service is unacceptable. I would think the same reasoning would apply in reverse for you as well.

Definitely get whatever will work best for you :)

Reaction score

Not when it comes with an included 32gig microSD card worth $100 retail (on Best Buy website), and the possibility that 4G will not cost any extra at first (worth around $120 for 1 year, judging by what Sprint charges).

ZoneBlitz44

Reaction score
HTC's facebook has a countdown ending at 4:30 a.m. Feb. 15th. Could they surprise us all and launch it on a date that no one thought would happen?

JLangevin

Reaction score
This is all more stupid than the whole iPhone on Verizon speculation. I think whoever said that Verizon only cares about iPhone now is correct.

The question one should ask themselves though is who is actually holding this up? Verizon or HTC?

Here is my speculation on this whole thing... Verizon wants the date to be WELL past the 14 day return period for the iPhone purchasers (myself included, I DID buy an iPhone and ditch my Droid) I think Verizon wants to keep the sales numbers impressive for Apple (even though they did not have anything spectacular to report about their official launch. It was quite disappointing). So, instead of having the competition available for exchange within the return peroid, this allows the sales (and those who dont like the iphone to become stuck with it) to stay pretty static rather than having to report a large number of returns to Apple.

Afterall, this was supposedly the deal Verizon made with the devil, so they have to have decent numbers to support it. Begining of March is the best any of you will see more than likely.

Last edited:

Effington

Reaction score
It doesn't look like have to eat my Blackberry after all... lmao

I stated several times here that Vz main concern now is the iPhone and anything Android will start taking a back seat indefinitely.

Weeks ago I said you wouldn't see this phone until March. You all laughed. Anyone who thinks this phone will be available this week is only kidding themselves.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It doesn't look like have to eat my Blackberry after all... lmao

I stated several times here that Vz main concern now is the iPhone and anything Android will start taking a back seat indefinitely.

Weeks ago I said you wouldn't see this phone until March. You all laughed. Anyone who thinks this phone will be available this week is only kidding themselves.

The 24th is still looks promising. Too much evidence pointing to that date for there not to be a launch on said date

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I just called my local store and customer service and inquired about the Thunderbolt and Bionic.....they have no idea on when either will be released.

Sent from my Vortex using DroidForums App

Status
Not open for further replies.