Whats the big deal with Handcent SMS?

qoncept

Reaction score
I tried Handcent briefly, but I'm using Google Voice for SMS so I never spent much time with it. I've looked at the screenshots, and I just don't get it. What does everyone like so much about Handcent SMS?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i used to love it becuz it just looked nicer with the bubbles and custom colors and crap. i've uninstalled it though becuz it's just too slow. i'm happy with stock:D

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
Oh.. so the biggest thing is it's prettier? That's disappointing. Rumor has it they're going to add GV support so I was hoping it would be an exciting switch, but I suppose I'll find out eventually.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i thought handcent allowed you to attach things to MMS/SMS messages the stock app didn't? like voice clips or something (maybe i'm way off). but for me, it's not worth it. the cartoon bubbles make it harder to read imo.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can send audio with Handcent SMS, you can't with stock.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me it's easier to look at and more customizable in that area. Also GV does not support MMS so no pics or videos come through and they do an Handcent/default app. Also Handcent has voice to text option . There may be more.

I do use GV for the heavy messaging friends (I don't have unlimited messaging) and they know that if they send me a MMS, then to send to the normal cell number.

DP03

Reaction score
I like the customization a lot, and I have no issues with slow speed......

backlash

Reaction score
I tried Handcent briefly, but I'm using Google Voice for SMS so I never spent much time with it. I've looked at the screenshots, and I just don't get it. What does everyone like so much about Handcent SMS?
I've actually thought the same thing. The GV app works fine for me. I only text through GV.

BzB

Reaction score
the main reason i like it is because you can change what color the led should flash when you get an sms. with the stock sms app it blinks green, like every other notification does, which is kind of annoying. they also update the application pretty regularly which is reassuring.

it's all about customization. :)

johall07

Reaction score
the quick reply thing is the best part if you are working it just pops up you answer and its gone and you are still doing what you were doing

huskur

Reaction score
the quick reply thing is the best part if you are working it just pops up you answer and its gone and you are still doing what you were doing

DITTO!! Great feature. Also as someone else posted it does let you attach a photo along with a sound file which the stock sms will not

mjs31

Reaction score
Quick reply with the auto pop up is my #1. MMS options, along with group sms and of course the customization all the way around. Ability to break more than 160 characters into multiple sms messages and also the option to actually turn your very large sms into a mms if it gets to big.Oh yeah...i have used the voice to text option as well.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I like Handcent because I can also send a text to multiple recipients simultaneously. I can also type out a 160+ character SMS and Handcent will split it up for me automatically, regardless of the recipient's plan/phone.