Whats the big deal with Handcent SMS?

bgdave

Reaction score
I didn't see it already being said, but Handscent also has voice to text so you can speak your text message. Won't be a big deal once 2.1 drops and every text box has it but for now it comes in handy some.

My main on is like others though, I like the popup notification.

Guurzak

Reaction score
Handcent also has blacklisting, which the stock app does not.

imiller913

Reaction score
I use handcent and never had an issue with it being slow, and it also give you more functions. But one of the great thing about this phone is we have all the options that we do. :D

mikespe

Reaction score
FYI...Handcent just released an update I believe yesterday that solved any lag it may have. Just make sure to reboot after install (at least that's what I did and noticed a BIG difference)

As for why I use it....

• Bubbles
  • MMS cababilities
  • Color coding sender/recipient colors
  • pop up quick reply
  • message splitting (over 160 characters)
  • customization
  • and most of all........................................................................I like it!!! :)

Demo24

Reaction score
i thought handcent allowed you to attach things to MMS/SMS messages the stock app didn't? like voice clips or something (maybe i'm way off). but for me, it's not worth it. the cartoon bubbles make it harder to read imo.

You can change how the bubbles look, I didn't like the default setting either but the others are nice. You can have it switch to the normal Android way if you want.

I downloaded it mainly because I wanted the message to popup on the screen and not have me pull down the notification bar, then open it. Nice customization as well, nice to have the led flash another color. Now I know what kind of message is waiting for me based on what color the led is. :)

DroidPDX

Reaction score
It shows the number of characters typed/left. If you go over 160 it automatically breaks the message in two and sends two texts. The stock app won't tell you how many characters, and if you go over, too bad. It sends just the first 160 characters.

Lots of nice customization with Handcent, too. The LED options are great. I have mine on Blue, which means I know I have a text. The stock notifier doesn't dileneate between a text message and an Email.

Artimis

Reaction score
I love handcent mainly because of all the fine tuning it allows you to do.

1) Pop-up/status bar notifications -- When I'm in the middle of using my phone (browsing the net, typing something, etc.), I HATE being interrupted by a pop-up notification which is why I love the notification bar in Android. However, when I'm not using my phone, the notification bar drives me nuts because I have to turn on the screen, unlock, drag down the notification bar, and then click on the message to read/reply to it (4 steps). This is where a pop-up is handy

Handcent allows the best of both worlds.....when my screen is off and I get a message, it's configured to display a pop-up when I turn it on. However, when I'm actively using my droid, it defaults to the normal notification bar functionality which is great if you want to finish doing something without being interrupted.

2) Customization of Vibrate and LED -- The stock short double vibrate is weak. I prefer a longer, standard vibrate which handcent allows for. Changing the LED color is just a cool bonus.

3) Customization of these behaviors per contact -- You can set vibrate settings, LED settings, Ringtones, status bar icons, text message bubble colors, texting background images, etc.....all per person in addition to your global settings.

4) Auto-split of characters 160+ -- This is KEY if you text to people on other networks or to other VZW smart phone users (i.e. WinMo devices). No more worrying about text sizes because handcent does all the work for you.

5) Speech-to-text. This is great for when you are driving and you can't type to respond. Just speak.....it's been fairly accurate in my experience.

6) It's free.......

sherylhs

Reaction score
My 2 cents...

It shows the number of characters typed/left. If you go over 160 it automatically breaks the message in two and sends two texts. The stock app won't tell you how many characters, and if you go over, too bad. It sends just the first 160 characters.

Lots of nice customization with Handcent, too. The LED options are great. I have mine on Blue, which means I know I have a text. The stock notifier doesn't dileneate between a text message and an Email.

These are the two biggest features that I like. I have different color LED's for voicemail, text or email.

~S

griz8791

Reaction score
I wish we had more control over the LED generally. I have mine set to blue for new Handcent messages. Handcent is the only app I know of that allows this.

spazma7ik

Reaction score
@Griz Download an app called Missed Call

On a related note, call me crazy but the only reason I can't STAND Handcent is because it displays that annoyingly big red counter over your notification, that you can't turn off, and yes I tried that counter setting in the notification section and it didn't work. It makes no sense to me why I can choose from all of these notification icons just to have 3/4 of the icon to be covered by an obnoxious red circle, it looks sloppy.

I know it's kind of ridiculous, but I am really picky, and if they would allow me to turn this off, then we're in business.

Perhaps someone can prove me wrong and tell me how to change this, or ease my mind and tell me they updated this?

mrnelson86

Reaction score
@Griz Download an app called Missed Call

On a related note, call me crazy but the only reason I can't STAND Handcent is because it displays that annoyingly big red counter over your notification, that you can't turn off, and yes I tried that counter setting in the notification section and it didn't work. It makes no sense to me why I can choose from all of these notification icons just to have 3/4 of the icon to be covered by an obnoxious red circle, it looks sloppy.

I know it's kind of ridiculous, but I am really picky, and if they would allow me to turn this off, then we're in business.

Perhaps someone can prove me wrong and tell me how to change this, or ease my mind and tell me they updated this?

the big red circle is because you have too many notifications active in the notification bar for it to show...so it shows a couple, then a big red 3 because there are 3 more that can't fit on the bar at the moment. This is not a handcent issue this is how Android was designed...

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
Huh.. I've seen some features that sound useful, and now I'd like to try them. Too bad about the whole GV thing :(

SarahP

Reaction score
using chompsms personally - seems to look prettier out of the box, but i guess they can both be skinned

Yodes

Reaction score

Can someone explain to me how this is done with Handcent? I have been using Handcent for awhile now and love it but still when I send a message longer than 160 I get an automated message back from Verizon telling me messages longer than 160 are sent with the first 160 characters only and friends are always telling me, "That last part got cut off." Am i missing something?

EDIT TO ADD: THis is WITH the option of autosplit or whatever it says exactly CHECKED. So it should work I would assume but is there something else I must do?

Last edited: