Google Voice with Handcent

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok I searched for this but couldnt find anything, most probably cuz I didnt know how exactly to formulate a search for what I was questioning. ANyway, I just signed up for Google Voice, and DL'd the Google Voice app from the market. I also have handcent. The problem I'm having is when someone leaves me a voicemail I receive a message from the Google voice app, and an sms from handcent saying I have a new voicemail. I want to use GV exclusively for VM only, and handcent for my SMS. But I dont' want two msgs everytime I have a new VM. Anyway to accomplish this?

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
And another issue, I can't dial #MIN, #BAL anymore to check my minutes or balance. Get the message that the call cannot be completed as dialed.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Same thing with *611...:( Call cannot be completed as dialed. Is it just me or is some setting off somewhere?

RichStevenson

Reaction score
" But I dont' want two msgs everytime I have a new VM. Anyway to accomplish this?"
You need to turn off notifications in the default messaging app.
Menu|Settings|Notifications - Uncheck

And another issue, I can't dial #MIN, #BAL, *611.
More than likely you have the GV app set to dial all of your calls, when it does that it can't dial those VZW numbers.
Menu|Settings|Making Calls

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rich,

Thanks for your help. #1 you were correct, i just needed to disabled the notification. #2, I actually called Verizon and they said for some reason I fell off their switchboard so they just put me back on and all is well. Thanks!

Guchi

Reaction score
you need to log into your google voice online and change some settings. if you need me to get more detailed let me know, but i think you should get it.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
you need to log into your google voice online and change some settings. if you need me to get more detailed let me know, but i think you should get it.

Yep for those that are not aware, you log into google voice>Settings>Voicemail and SMS> Voicemail Notifications>Uncheck Send a Text Message to

This will only send the notification to your Google Voice app on your Droid, and for regular SMS from your phone you can still use your handcent.