Whats the big deal with Handcent SMS?

bossrogue

Reaction score
I like the "Split 160" feature. It gets rid of that annoying FREE VZW MESSAGE, that tells me it can only send 160 chars. at a time.

I like Handcent because of the LED customization, and the "quick text".

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Huh.. I've seen some features that sound useful, and now I'd like to try them. Too bad about the whole GV thing :(
Where did you read that it would work with GV?

What's the big deal with "What's the big deal?" threads? If you get an app, great. If you don't, great. Not everyone will find the same apps useful.

NVash

Reaction score
I like Handcent because...
1) I can have a different color notification light
2) I can change the color of the bubbles in my txts
3) I can finally have a wallpaper behind my conversation lists and txts
4) They have so many cool fonts for said txts
And the main reason...
5) It gave me my sig back

I noticed slowdown sometimes but Ill be honest, considering it isnt the original messaging app and its free I expect as much and keep on going. It also gets updated often and the people behind it are very friendly. I had a question and they answered me almost an hour after I Emailed them.

triptych

Reaction score
the red circle over the customizable handcent notification icon is now properly removable. before if you had one unread text ir would show a 1 and if you had multiple unread texts it would go away (if you had the settings correct)
very glad they fixed this.

funken

Reaction score
Is there a way to get Handcent to automatically respond to a text with an away message?

PhDCow

Reaction score
You all got me interested so I downloaded it yesterday and I really like it. The pop up is huge for me. I also like the different LED color. Thanks for piquing my interest!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
160 is a good reason.

I run stock with SMS Popup, which gives you LED customization and a few other things (not anything that Handcent cannot, I just don't think I need to be able to send audio...)

It comes down to what you want on your phone and what you want to be able to do with it.

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
Huh.. I've seen some features that sound useful, and now I'd like to try them. Too bad about the whole GV thing :(
I can't remember, but someone in one of the Google Voice threads (I think) quoted someone from Handcent saying they were planning on implementing it. Not sure if its true or not. I actually just started writing my own last night, but I was really hoping to find an open source SMS app that I could add GV support to rather than building one from scratch.

What's the big deal with "What's the big deal?" threads? If you get an app, great. If you don't, great. Not everyone will find the same apps useful.
My explanation for asking was basically everything from my post that you didn't quote. Everyone seems to like Handcent but I never spent any time with it since I use Google Voice. Since I could potentially switch to it (and don't like the GV app), I was wondering what was so great about it.

I realize "what's the big deal" probably means "I don't like it and people that do are idiots" more often than not. But I was genuinely curious why people like Handcent so much and I'm not in a position to find out for myself.

aacanela73

Reaction score
You can send audio with Handcent SMS, you can't with stock.
AMEN you can create multimedia text messages and send vidio and rintones as text messages to the less fortunate so they don't have to pay for cool ringtones. But I still don't like the app that much its something I put on when I want to do a multimedia mms

aacanela73

Reaction score
I can't remember, but someone in one of the Google Voice threads (I think) quoted someone from Handcent saying they were planning on implementing it. Not sure if its true or not. I actually just started writing my own last night, but I was really hoping to find an open source SMS app that I could add GV support to rather than building one from scratch.

My explanation for asking was basically everything from my post that you didn't quote. Everyone seems to like Handcent but I never spent any time with it since I use Google Voice. Since I could potentially switch to it (and don't like the GV app), I was wondering what was so great about it.

I realize "what's the big deal" probably means "I don't like it and people that do are idiots" more often than not. But I was genuinely curious why people like Handcent so much and I'm not in a position to find out for myself.
Don't you have to wait for an invite to Voice?? Handcent is for everybody right meow!

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
Don't you have to wait for an invite to Voice?? Handcent is for everybody right meow!
I've been using GV for months.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. I've been using it for 2 months, since I got my Droid. The app for Blackberry was so god awful that I didn't use it.

ipawd1

Reaction score
I just like the fact that Handcent when I type a contacts name, it reads them. Half the time it doesnt on stock messenger.

Sp3cialed

Reaction score
I Just downloaded Handcent but can't figure out how to change the notification LED color...