No notification of new sms from handcent

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by jbsangel, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jbsangel

jbsangel New Member

So today I opened handcent to send an sms and right when I opened it, the notification appeared in the bar for a new txt. No vibrate, led, or notification tone or anything, just the icon with the number 1 for a new message.

I sent my sms and then read the unread message from my husband and saw it was sent like 45 minutes prior. Handcent never sent the notification! What surprises me the most is when the txt was received, my phone was plugged into the charger and on the screen was on and I was listening to pandora. At no point did I get an alert nor was the notification in the bar. It definitely did not appear until I ran handcent to send the sms.

That really shakes my confidence in the app so I'm probably going to uninstall. Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
  2. MattCHowell

MattCHowell Member

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem
  3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

No simultaneous voice and data on CDMA. SMS is sent via voice channels. If you're streaming via Pandora then you're actively using data. I know calls will take priority but I'm not sure that SMS will.
  4. inkyhands

inkyhands New Member

I'm having issues with handcent notifications not happening, too. Many times recently I unlock the screen to discover I have an SMS yet no notification in the status bar, no vibe, no sound, nothing.... If go to notifications settings, and just back out without even changing anything, it will work again.. for awhile... Also, if I set the notification sound, then try Test Notfication, the test works perfectly, but after doing it that one time, it resets the sound to silent. The only way around this is to never test it. Weird? Not getting notified is gonna be a deal-breaker for me though, and I really like this app :(
  5. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

Try Go SMS. Just like handcent, but better.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  6. anuraj1

anuraj1 Active Member

I'm also having this problem. I cleared data on Handcent and it worked for a few hours and then stopped again.

CM7 Nightlies
    Deprimed Kernel at 1000
  7. Droidman69

Droidman69 New Member

my experience and resolution

From what I can tell, I have the exact same problem(s). However, if you reset the messaging from inside the STOCK messaging app, then dis-able it after testing positive, it will fix it. Assuming it's not a hardware issue with your phones, give this a shot.

1. goto STOCK messaging app, goto settings, goto notification settings, check the display message notifications in status bar, then inside notification settings turn them all on. Exit stock app. Go back into Handcent. Send yourself a text message to ensure it is now "on" and working with sound and vibration.

2. go back into stock messaging app, go back into settings, goto notification settings, then toggle the checkbox back off. Exit stock messaging app. Go back into Handcent, and send yourself a text.

(basicially toggle it on and back off!)

Hope this helps!

Cyanogenmod 7.1.0-RC1-Inc
    Droid Incredible ADR6300
    Baseband ver 2.15.00.07.28
    Android version 2.3.4
    Build number GRJ22
  8. RicKaysen

RicKaysen New Member

I went to the market to download Go SMS because I'm having the same problem. There I noticed an update available for Handcent. Installed it and it seems to have fixed the problem.
  9. googlelover

googlelover New Member

The reason this happened to me was because handcent was getting kicked out of memory, I would say thats whats happening to all of you, but I don't know the phones you guys have, OG droid is mine.
  10. MattCHowell

MattCHowell Member

Sounds exactly right...do u lock it in memory or what?

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
handcent no notification

handcent no notification sound

handcent no notifications

handcent not notifying

handcent notifications not working

handcent sms no notification

handcent sms no notification sound

handcent sms no sound

handcent sms no sound notification

handcent sms notification not working