What to do if I lose my Droid? -- (protecting data)

Rique

Reaction score
Yes I know, after crying of course :)

What is the best course of action then?...

------------------------------------------------

P.S. I wish there was a way of not only protecting the data but activating some kind of a LOCK and a message on the Droid, so when the person who found it tried turning on the phone, they would get a message saying something like:

"You will never be able to use this phone, is has been locked for ever, however you can get $100 reward if you contact the owner at ___________."

What do you think?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I know, after crying of course :)

What is the best course of action then?...

------------------------------------------------

P.S. I wish there was a way of not only protecting the data but activating some kind of a LOCK and a message on the Droid, so when the person who found it tried turning on the phone, they would get a message saying something like:

"You will never be able to use this phone, is has been locked for ever, however you can get $100 reward if you contact the owner at ___________."

What do you think?

They do have apps out there (wave secure, and others) that once you lose the droid, you can activate the security measures, some allow for remote lock, some allow for remote wipes, and stuff like that.

OP
Rique

Rique

Reaction score
WOW... Now you are really blowing my mind off! :)

I never thought such a thing could exist. Fine I will check the one you named. But how would you call this kind of app? (security, locking, loss of Droid) so that I could research for the best app possible?

Thanks.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The two major apps out there (that I'm aware of) are Mobile Defense and WaveSecure. They have some similarities, and a number of differences. It's up to you to decide which one will suit you best.

You could even use both, if you so pleased.

OP
Rique

Rique

Reaction score
Yes, I went with Mobile Defense for now and will investigate the other later.

One Question though - If you know, no biggie... in one of their replies they refer to my Droid by the Phone "ID: B00000######" number (it's not the real one).

Is this the Unique # to every Droid? I'm a bit confused because the box it came in had several looong numbers and not real labels to discern which was actually the 'old' S/N.

TIA

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I went with Mobile Defense for now and will investigate the other later.

One Question though - If you know, no biggie... in one of their replies they refer to my Droid by the Phone "ID: B00000######" number (it's not the real one).

Is this the Unique # to every Droid? I'm a bit confused because the box it came in had several looong numbers and not real labels to discern which was actually the 'old' S/N.

TIA

IIRC, it's a unique identifier for your phone, like the cell equivalent of a MAC address.

OP
Rique

Rique

Reaction score
I hope I'm not double-replying, because I already replied to email I got.... But I don't see it here in the forum. So let me say again:

First off, thanks for the excellent explanation and secondly: WOW, this Forum ROCKS!... You nice people provide such good answers and so quickly!

I can see I belong here :)

Thanks!

=====================

P.S. I took a look at the Droid's box and the so called ID ("ID: B00000######" ) number is labeled as "MEID(HEX)"

Last edited:

Brokn68

Reaction score
I like mobile defense, and I also got insurance in case of damage/theft.

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder that the free lifetime subscription to WaveSecure ends on March 31st, so download and sign up before then. Do it now, before you have an emergency.

myz06vette

Reaction score

Hmm... Now that is something new. Do you mind if I ask how much (ballpark)?

Mobile Defense is free. And it hides in the background on your phone and can be activated via their website (mobiledefense.com). Pretty slick UI and works well.

As for insurance, I believe its 7.99/mo on your Verizon bill. But you can only add it within 30 days of getting your phone. I carry it for mine as well.

I use mobile defense in case its lost or stolen so I can at least attempt to retrieve it. And I use mybackup pro to remotely backup all my phone's data and apps to an online server in case my phone is ever lost or stolen and I have to get a new one altogether.

OP
Rique

Rique

Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder that the free lifetime subscription to WaveSecure ends on March 31st, so download and sign up before then. Do it now, before you have an emergency.

Thanks for heads up. I already signed up (installed the app in my Droid) but I did not see anything about any charges or FREE anything... How do I make sure I take advantage of your free offer then?

TIA

OP
Rique

Rique

Reaction score

Hmm... Now that is something new. Do you mind if I ask how much (ballpark)?
As for insurance, I believe its 7.99/mo on your Verizon bill. But you can only add it within 30 days of getting your phone. I carry it for mine as well.
Yes, I got the same offer on Mar 2nd, when I purchases the Droid. What do you think that insurance entail?.. NEW DROID if you lose it? or what...