To screen protect or not

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is a discussion where there is no right or wrong answer. Oems are making screens better and of stronger material. Some will tell you that a screen protector just distort from the true colors, get dirt and dusty and eventually get chucked. SO is it worth it.

My opinion:

1) depends what environment you work. I work in an environment with oils, fluids, and I rather not touch my screen like that and since you can grab a set of cheap screen protectors off the net for like a few bucks. So to me I rather throw a screen protector on it...though for my nexus I will probably like to give those 3m natural light screen protectors a try.

2) Are you the type who put your phone in your pocket? If so you may want to throw a screen protector on it.

In the end it depends on the person. Now I must admit early I got scammed by best buy (really its on me for not doing the research) to pay 20+ bucks for a screen protector (invisishield). It would be good for like 6 months before I had to buy another one. I checked on amazon for alternates and found some cheap screen protectors (a pack of 5) for $1 (yall know ho amazon is pay $1 for an item and 5 for shipping) but still its still cheaper than best buy. I must tell you that there was no real difference between the two. So if you do prefer screen protectors look around for cheap protectors because for one most of the screens really dont need them, it will protect fine.

Just my in sight I am looking to hear whether you prefer protected screen or no protection. And if you use a screen protector what brand.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My Incredible is no screen protector right now, but when I had my original Droid I did buy the 3-pack from Verizon and those ended up coming off withing days of applying cause it spent so much time going in and out my pocket. They kept coming off and were absolute garbage, didn't even cover the buttons on the Droid. Switched to Invisible Shield and the quality was world's apart, but I hated the "orange peel" effect and the fact that my finger usually got "caught", I play sports alot and my hands get sweaty so the InvisibleShield wasn't a good option, but a better option than the screen protectors sold by Verizon that's for sure.

The best option I've seen are the anti-fingerprint screen protectors, specifically by Steinheil. They're a bit expensive $13 for 2 at Amazon, but the quality is great. Gives the screen a sort of matte finish where glare is greatly reduced and so are fingerprints, yet input on it is still extremely accurate. It's a smoother surface than the InvisibleShield without the orange peel effect and my finger never got stuck trying to navigate after a game of basketball or two.

When I get my Nexus I'm definitely putting the Steinheil anti-fingerprint screen protector on it, gotta protect that nice lookin screen. No scratches on my Incredible, but the fingerprints drive me crazy.

Another tip: For those of you who don't use screen protectors, to lessen fingerprints try a little rain-x on the screen. Apply on a microfiber and just work it in til dry, works pretty well for a couple days. I give my phone a pretty thorough cleaning once every week, don't know about the rest of you lol.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I must admit I am normally am too busy to clean off my phone...hence the reason I keep a screen protector on it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I must admit I am normally am too busy to clean off my phone...hence the reason I keep a screen protector on it.

Heh no I take it a step beyond....

I take it apart and use compressed air to get dust out. I use clean wipes to clean off the phone, especially with the rubber backing on my phone. Then for final step I use a little bit of rain-x on the screen. A little obsessive, but I like to take care of my gadgets:D

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
I really get annoyed with the glare from the screen. The first accessory I purchase is an anti-glare screen protector.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I have a Steinheil Ultra Crystal on my DX. Doesn't even seem I have a screen protector on it. Planning on getting one for the Galaxy Nexus aswell.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had one on the D1 but I bought an Otterbox for the Bionic and it has a screencover, depending how I rock the Nexus will determine how I protect the screen

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks dezymond and wicked I plan on getting a steinheil as well for the gnexus.

AlexSB

Reaction score
Yes, Steinheil Ultra Crystal is what I recommend.

I take very good care of my phones, when I drop it/bang it against something/etc I feel the pain more than the phone lol

See this is how things work, something always happens to your phone when you're not expecting it. Your phone drops the 1% of the time that the case is off. Something falls on the screen the one time you have it sitting on your desk instead of in your pocket.

And those times when you pull it out of your pocket and you ask yourself, how did those scratches get there??? You wont have to worry anymore because you gotta screen protector =)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've used a Seidio screen protector since day one on my OG and it's still perfect 2 years later. I would use Seidio again on my Nexus, but they haven't revealed one yet on their site, so I may be going with another company so that I'll have one if the Nexus comes out in the next 2 weeks.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I would love to say that I won't have one on the nexus when I get it but I probably will. It is like a security blanket. No matter how tough the screens are I feel better with one on.

And I always wanted to check out the steinheil so this may be my best opportunity to do so.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will always make a $5 investment to save my $600 device.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would love to say that I won't have one on the nexus when I get it but I probably will. It is like a security blanket. No matter how tough the screens are I feel better with one on.

And I always wanted to check out the steinheil so this may be my best opportunity to do so.
Not only that, your screen won't be a fingerprint magnet anymore.

win-win

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
I've used screen protectors since my og Droid. I take very good care of my phones and with my old phone the protector does get scratched. The nice thing about the protector is when you replace it you have a brand new screen. You can't do that if there is no protector on it.

I use a good protector. Don't get those cheap Ebay things. Just get the correct one from the verizon store. Or whatever your provider is. In the last two years I have used three protectors and only recently did I put the last one on my og Droid. I honestly don't even notice them on the phone until they are scratched, then I just replace it! I currently have the bionic and will stick with my screen protectors. I can't even tell its there.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums