Are screen protectors even worth it?

Fizban22

Reaction score
I actually did buy some screen protectors and currently have one on my new Droid X, but now im wondering if theyre even worth the money?

I heard Droids/Droid Xs are made with gorilla glass which doesnt scratch or anything. So whats the point of the screen protectors? The only advantage i can see is that the screen protector takes away any glare that shows up on the screen, however it makes Swype text (and just swiping through screen in general) a little more difficult, but nothing horrible.

Whats your thoughts?

grrouchie

Reaction score
I have had one on my Droid since the first week I had it, and my screen protector has had some pretty nasty gouges in it that didn't go away for a few weeks.

I figure if there was no protector, I have had the real possibility of some nasty scratches or at least one chip out of the screen at this point.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Moto-Droid here since last November. First screen protector fell off after 30 days. I had 2 left and never bothered. I've had just the plain naked phone ever since. Front left pocket and nothing else but the phone goes in there. The Moto-Droid is made with Corning's Gorilla Glass. I don't know if the Droid X does too.

RadRyan122

Reaction score
I tried using a Zagg Invisible Shield on my DX because I usually get those for all my gadgets. I ended up taking it off because it did seem to be noticeably affecting the sensitivity of the screen. I haven't had any problems with the screen yet, although I am usually pretty careful with my toys for the most part. I'm not too worried after seeing the various videos about how damn tough gorilla glass is, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to take a key to my screen personally.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
VZW screen protectors work well, although I burned all 3 trying to get them on right and still didn't get it perfect (but not noticeable with the screen on).

I suppose I could clean the screen, but it seems like it's good to keep the oils, food and grease off the actual screen.

Katsun

Reaction score
I have a VZW screen protector...usin the same once since Feb when i got my Droid....needless to say its doing its job

xliderider

Reaction score
Had the Droid since release and the screen has been naked the while time. I just use the Verizon hard rubber case on it, the raised rubber protects the screen slightly. I take good care of my Droid. It's never been dropped or scratched. :)

JMU_Droid

Reaction score
My first Droid got a nasty scratch on the screen after being in my backpack, so it can happen. Now I use an Otterbox case and the screen protector that came with it. I'd advise using some protector because you never know what will happen. I was lucky to have another issue with my phone so I could get it replaced. I would've been pissed if I had to deal with the scratched screen all the time.

bomber889

Reaction score
Yes, I went to the beach the other day. Some sand scratched my screen protector in various places. If it hadn't been for my screen protector, my screen would've been scratched.

ffej89

Reaction score
Zagg all the way for me. I work in concrete everyday and by the end of the day my pockets are filled with sand, dust and rocks (well not filled but you know) before i had to keep my phone in a ziplock to protect it. No matter what screen it has i would kill it. After i started using Zagg i never had a problem. Take that back the first Zagg i tried to put on without the liquid and that didnt work. :)

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
For the htc resistive screens, screen protectors are a good idea. For Moto Droids capacitive gorilla glass screens, they are a waste. I beat my phone like a rented date, and the glass is still pretty, even tho the metal bezel is dinged all to hell. Naked glass since 11-11-09.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I saw this:

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8]YouTube - Motorola Droid Scratch Test[/video]

And decided not to use one.

Still looks new although mine is only a month or so old.

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
keep my naked driod in the same pocket with my leatherman and my keys. alot of metal is always banging up against the screen. Screen is still as perfect as it was the day i bought it.

The metal trim around the screen is pretty scratched up though.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the nth time (see every other screen protector thread as there's nothing new in this one):

1. It's your judgment call to make. Worth is always highly subjective and no one can tell you if you think it's worth it or not.
2. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant. It is not, however unscratchable. Again, see prior threads -- it doesn't take much under the right conditions.
3. Scratch tests using keys are meaningless. Keys are not harder than glass and will not scratch glass.
4. Not all screen protectors are the same. The existing threads cover the most popular options fairly well. Don't forget the Accessories subforum.