what is froyo?

mystified

Reaction score
being new here and not yet an owner of a droid anything and not tech savy to modern day language.

so what the heck is froyo and what will it do? thanks, mystified

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Google uses sweet treats as it's "code name" for Android versions. 1.5 and 1.6 are Donut, 2.0 was eclair, and 2.1-2.2 is Frozen Yogurt(froyo)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Short for Frozen Yogurt. It's the project name that Google used for their 2.2 OS update. One of the best updates to come out for the Moto Droid 1.

Google likes to use different deserts for names for it't projects. The next one will be Gingerbread, no eta on when that will be released.

Jehnavi

Reaction score
MOTO did apparently finish their updates before HTC, but after the manufacturers are satisfied with them, then they go to the carriers. Sprint considered the EVO update a high priority, so they got it out first. Verizon has a number of Android devices, so they have more testing to do, and we all know they like to add their bloatware, so clearly it will take longer. I have an Incredible and I could care less when they update, so long as it is within a few weeks of all the other devices, which it will be. If you want it today, root your phone and install the leaked OS.

OP
M

mystified

Reaction score
won't yogurt gum up the works ha ha.

am going to assume from last post that verizon is adding stuff to the updates thus changing it?

this might answer a lot of my un asked questions as I always felt carriers should provide the wireless service but hands off the software and maybe these things will run as planned by the manufacture? only my opinion, mystified

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google uses sweet treats as it's "code name" for Android versions. 1.5 and 1.6 are Donut, 2.0 was eclair, and 2.1-2.2 is Frozen Yogurt(froyo)
Photo from the Google campus:
4627466587_e2cff6b866_z.jpg

Looks like jstafford forgot about Cupcake.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
takeshi - Wow, what a sweet photo, pun intended!