What Android really needs...

joker402

Reaction score
Gotta admit I like the fact that I can install, manage, delete, sort and all sorts of things from the phone but I think google needs to come out with a desktop manager like itues that supports everything from customizing apps to manageing pics, music, ect. Like itunes but completly open just like the phones. A type of program that gives you the option to do it from the desktop also from the phone. Even an app market that let's you set all the app settings just like you would from your phones.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Hmmm... I rather like the fact that I don't need a separate desktop computer for anything. I'd rather work straight from the cloud, maybe a web based configuration manager, but not a desktop app.

OP
joker402

joker402

Reaction score
Well yea you somethi g that let's us do what we already do on our phones on a pc and then we can just sync if we use it or keep doing everything from the phone. It doesn't matter if its on the web or desktop just some type of Android manager.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Guess it's a YMMV thing but I rarely connect/sync with a PC. I'm happy with it that way it is. There are some syncing apps but I don't think I've run across an app that handles everything that that OP is looking for.

ldimick

Reaction score
It would seem to me that this would not be that dificult to do. The secret is to put a mini set of web pages on the phone so it is hardware independent. Like Remote SMS does.

slinky

Reaction score
I hate the phrase "the cloud" since 99.9% of people have no clue what this means.

1. All your most private data is now in the hands of someone else. Aren't you all so trusting.

2. It isn't simple to just have a full backup and restore locally on your hard drive. Lose your phone? Restoring all your data as was isn't a quick solution.

3. Synching apps is a major pain. Every app must be individual synced and that can take a long, long time and much more than the one button sync it used to be. Password keeper, docs and file management, personal finances with desktop, etc.

All of this has gone away as consumer run to the cloud as if it is the new messiah's tool come down from heaven prematurely. It isn't, that's for sure and wish I had my choices.

ldimick

Reaction score
I hate the phrase "the cloud" since 99.9% of people have no clue what this means.

1. All your most private data is now in the hands of someone else. Aren't you all so trusting.

2. It isn't simple to just have a full backup and restore locally on your hard drive. Lose your phone? Restoring all your data as was isn't a quick solution.

3. Synching apps is a major pain. Every app must be individual synced and that can take a long, long time and much more than the one button sync it used to be. Password keeper, docs and file management, personal finances with desktop, etc.

All of this has gone away as consumer run to the cloud as if it is the new messiah's tool come down from heaven prematurely. It isn't, that's for sure and wish I had my choices.

This seems to be flying in from left field. Post it to the wrong thread?

slinky

Reaction score
It was in response to "working in the cloud" and the sync with PC discussed above.

fingaz

Reaction score
I totally agree. I just got the phone and have been trying to play around with some apps/widgets... I think they need a better Android Market... something like iTunes that you can see what the apps are before you download them.

It could also have a list of all your contacts, pictures, music and whatever else. Granted you can see all of your contacts in Gmail... but maybe Google just needs a desktop app rather than a web based app.

There are just some things that are easier done on an actual computer then on the phone.

fingaz

Reaction score
ok... well I just found this... AndroidZoom.com. I kept goin to android market.com or something.

but.. I would still like the option of having a central pc application .

Last edited:

uwe

Reaction score
Gotta admit I like the fact that I can install, manage, delete, sort and all sorts of things from the phone but I think google needs to come out with a desktop manager like itues that supports everything from customizing apps to manageing pics, music, ect. Like itunes but completly open just like the phones. A type of program that gives you the option to do it from the desktop also from the phone. Even an app market that let's you set all the app settings just like you would from your phones.

Did you try www.appbrain.com ?

With AppBrain you can manage your apps from the desktop and sync it directly with the phone.

ldimick

Reaction score
What OS would they support on a desktop? As it is right now it is completely free from any desktop. I LIKE that.I don't want to be tied to a desktop like I was with my iPhone.

uwe

Reaction score
What OS would they support on a desktop? As it is right now it is completely free from any desktop. I LIKE that.I don't want to be tied to a desktop like I was with my iPhone.

AppBrain is browser based, so it works on any OS (which has a browser..)
And it comes with an Android app to synchronize with the website.