What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Ive had the TB since launch day and ever since, no setting, kernel or ROM has really helped out my battery life, maybe I shouldnt complain about getting 13 hours of medium use but at this point seeing people go over an entire day with auto brightness and heavy 4G usage its getting to me. I'm running liquid thundersense 1.5 (have seen no problems with it) and its stock kernel with my brightness down to 20% and having Set CPU profiles and no sync and most of the time no data even on and I get a measely 13 hours on a good day, I have nothing syncing and whenever I use an app I make sure I do the grueling process of force closing it before doing anything else. I'm fed up but I'm not ready to quit just yet, I'm making this thread in order to ask all of you if at this point its the Bolt itself, I've had no issues with it ever (cept battery life) and have flashed DAS Bamf, virus Rom, tesla coil, and thundersense and I cannot for the life of me get this phone to 24 hours of life with extreme battery-saving tactics. Help me and post your opinion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

capetocairo

Reaction score
Have you ruled out trying a new battery? I wouldn't trash a brand new car just because it had a flat tire on arrival.

Also, are you force quitting every app you run yourself?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I think it depends on how you use your phone. Those of us getting 24 hours tend to have a LOT of standby time where the phone is sitting there doing nothing - downclocked to 245Mhz (some of us have always on mobile data off). And when we do use the phone we only use it for short bursts. I'd say 13 hours with heavy usage is about right for the stock battery.

I wake up, I check Google Reader for 5 minutes, check my email (I don't get much), check the weather, check the market for app updates, and check tweetcaster. Rare for me to spend more than 10 mins in this process. Then the phone stays off as I go to work, usually send the GF a good morning text once I arrive to work, and during work I might get a 5-10min call and ~10-30 texts until I leave to go home. At home I put the phone down and play World of Warcraft on my computer till I go to bed. Before bed I browse a bit, repeating what I did in the morning... maybe a youtube video or two or 10-30mins on DroidForums/XDA forums apps.

Under this usage I can easily get 24 hours of battery life. I suspect other 24 hour users are similar in their usage.

That's light to medium usage for me. I'm almost always plugged in if I'm doing Plants vs. Zombies or something battery intensive.

If I was to take pictures, do ebuddy for hours, stream music, constantly check Tweetcaster, and using my phone many times an hour -- I'd imagine that 13 hours would be a nice usage before hitting 0% of battery. This phone drains battery when on. I usually have it plugged in when I'm doing stuff with the screen on for that very reason. (I bought a several 6ft micro-usb cords for this convenience).

capetocairo

Reaction score
I think it depends on how you use your phone. Those of us getting 24 hours tend to have a LOT of standby time where the phone is sitting there doing nothing - downclocked to 245Mhz (some of us have always on mobile data off). And when we do use the phone we only use it for short bursts. I'd say 13 hours with heavy usage is about right for the stock battery.

I wake up, I check Google Reader for 5 minutes, check my email (I don't get much), check the weather, check the market for app updates, and check tweetcaster. Rare for me to spend more than 10 mins in this process. Then the phone stays off as I go to work, usually send the GF a good morning text once I arrive to work, and during work I might get a 5-10min call and ~10-30 texts until I leave to go home. At home I put the phone down and play World of Warcraft on my computer till I go to bed. Before bed I browse a bit, repeating what I did in the morning... maybe a youtube video or two or 10-30mins on DroidForums/XDA forums apps.

Under this usage I can easily get 24 hours of battery life. I suspect other 24 hour users are similar in their usage.

That's light to medium usage for me. I'm almost always plugged in if I'm doing Plants vs. Zombies or something battery intensive.

If I was to take pictures, do ebuddy for hours, stream music, constantly check Tweetcaster, and using my phone many times an hour -- I'd imagine that 13 hours would be a nice usage before hitting 0% of battery. This phone drains battery when on. I usually have it plugged in when I'm doing stuff with the screen on for that very reason. (I bought a several 6ft micro-usb cords for this convenience).

Very well said. I operate almost exactly the same way in my day-to-day.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I recommend an extended battery.

sent from droidforums app

BigMcGuire

Reaction score

Just received my 1700mAh batteries, think I should go 2750?

I think if HTC could have made a 1700mAh battery they would have, especially for a device like this. Most of those batteries are fake and the sellers are making serious $ off of them. I bought a "new" OEM HTC Battery off of Ebay for $14. It lasts 1/2 the time as my OEM battery. You get what you pay for. I'd definitely recommend the 2750 if you can't charge your battery mid-day. Either that or just buy another charger on Amazon for work.

Viper Daimao

Reaction score

Just received my 1700mAh batteries, think I should go 2750?

I think if HTC could have made a 1700mAh battery they would have, especially for a device like this. Most of those batteries are fake and the sellers are making serious $ off of them. I bought a "new" OEM HTC Battery off of Ebay for $14. It lasts 1/2 the time as my OEM battery. You get what you pay for. I'd definitely recommend the 2750 if you can't charge your battery mid-day. Either that or just buy another charger on Amazon for work.
agree with this. Seidio also has a 3200 battery if you want it up for a week or two.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Ive had the TB since launch day and ever since, no setting, kernel or ROM has really helped out my battery life, maybe I shouldnt complain about getting 13 hours of medium use but at this point seeing people go over an entire day with auto brightness and heavy 4G usage its getting to me. I'm running liquid thundersense 1.5 (have seen no problems with it) and its stock kernel with my brightness down to 20% and having Set CPU profiles and no sync and most of the time no data even on and I get a measely 13 hours on a good day, I have nothing syncing and whenever I use an app I make sure I do the grueling process of force closing it before doing anything else. I'm fed up but I'm not ready to quit just yet, I'm making this thread in order to ask all of you if at this point its the Bolt itself, I've had no issues with it ever (cept battery life) and have flashed DAS Bamf, virus Rom, tesla coil, and thundersense and I cannot for the life of me get this phone to 24 hours of life with extreme battery-saving tactics. Help me and post your opinion.

Lol I feel the same way. I underclocked my phone when screen was off to minimum, and it made no change on performance. I turned data off (by using the little widget) and it made no difference. The small battery on this phone is horrible, with the extended battery I get like 3 times the charge I do with the stock battery, and the extended battery is almost twice as big. Doesn't make sense.