What am I doing wrong?

sniper6

Reaction score
Ok, I'm sure it's totally obvious that I'm new to this. With all the thanks to Tallica and MotoCache1 I was able to root. I have a rooted Droid 1 on FRG01B 2.2. I've been trying to install SimplyStunning v4.7. What am I doing wrong? I put the zip file on my sdcard root. I booted in recovery mode, chose install, allowed update, then selected update.zip. It went through the install and said install complete but the timer bar was not finished. I then proceeded to back up and then to reboot system. Everything was fine until it barely started to spell out droid and just flashed little dots that would normally be spelling "droid" during boot. I had to take out the battery to get it to stop. Needless to say I had to start all over back to stock and root again. Where do I go from hear. I'm sure the answer is here but staying focused on what I'm looking for in a forum is not always the easiest thing to do. Thanks to all in advance for some direction to a newbie!

Sniper6

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Your phone might not handle a kernel that has anything less than stock voltage -- try flashing a kernel that's listed as LV or ULV and see if it bootloops you again. If it does, do NOT panic and do anything except reboot into recovery and resintall the backup you made prior to installing the kernel.

OP
sniper6

sniper6

Reaction score
Sweet! Thank you! And just to be sure, the kernel installs in the same manner as a ROM?

Sniper6

OP
sniper6

sniper6

Reaction score
Thank you for all your help but no matter what i do something goes wrong. I have followed this step by step and I either get stuck in a bootloop or it actually powers back to the desktop but show a dead battery and can't access the Android System then powers off. I give up....

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
That is definitely a kernel problem. Try either P3 kernels or Chevy's. Make sure which ever kernel you try to run that it is compatible with the rom you are running. I would suggest you go to the rom developer's thread and see what kernel they recommend.

OP
sniper6

sniper6

Reaction score
The ROM I initially tried was 928BlackGlass. The kernel that I tried first was ChevyNo1 LV 1ghz 5 slot, the second was the 7 slot. My droid is currently running FRG01B rooted. Yes I do know that you can't run a 2.1 kernel on 2.2. I thought I was trying the right one. Could that be the problem?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Black Glass isn't a ROM, it's a Theme. If you don't know the difference, sorry, but you need to do more research before you continue and do something REALLY bad to your Droid.

There is no FroYo 5-slot kernel. You were using out-of-date kernels, as suspected. Where did you get them? ROM Manager or a website? Did you make sure they were the latest versions of the kernels? I'm guessing not, but that's easily remedied. :) I'm not going to link you directly, but if you go to ChevyNo1's subforum you'll find them at the top. The date is 8-1-2010. All flavors and voltages for FroYo you could want.

This isn't me trying to make you feel bad or insulting you for being a n00b; we were all n00bs at one time, and everyone makes mistakes. In this case, though, I'm strongly going to suggest you do some more research before you do something to your Droid that we can't fix.

Also, ROM Manager, if you're using it, isn't a good idea. Just do things manually. :)

So, to wit, get the ROM you want, put it on the SD card as update.zip, boot into SPRecovery, wipe system and data caches 2-3x each, install the ROM, reboot, see if it boots. If not, boot into recovery and then load the standard/medium voltage 800MHZ FroYo kernel from P3 or Chevy, (use the mount option in SPRecovery to copy the file over), then install the kernel, reboot, and it should load to the desktop at this point.

NOW you can install the Theme. :)

If there's more help we can offer, please don't hesitate to ask, but please also do a little more research to make sure you don't make an oopsie and have to flash your Droid all the way back to stock 2.0.1 and start over. :D

OP
sniper6

sniper6

Reaction score
It worked! I'm still learning but it's rooted and running SimplyStunning! Haven't figured out how to install the OTA patch from ChevyNo1 Tools yet but this is way too cool! Thank you all so much for the guidance and help. I'm sure sure I'll have some really dumb questions in the future but thanks again! It's like having a whole new phone! My fiance says thanks as well!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
No question is truly dumb. Yes, they might have been answered before, or the issue is user error, but a question shows a quest for knowledge. That's an admirable goal and we're willing to help out. Even if we snark a bit. :)