"Welcome to Droid" won't activate

Badger1313

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've had my Moto Droid since February and finally decided to join the hacking clan.

I rooted my phone using the appropriate instructions and loaded a Saphire 2.2 ROM. Everything seemed normal. I then added ROM Manager (paid). and it showed there was a Saphire update. I also added Titanium Backup to keep a backup of my apps. When I tried to update the Saphire ROM using ROM Manager, it appeared to work. But, the "Welcome to Droid" icon does not move to the log-on window when I touch it on the screen. It does turn white, but nothing else happens.

I tried recovery with several prior backups and get the same result. What can I do or try. My only access into the phone is to boot into recovery. Please help.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Boot into recovery and give it a wipe (data and cache) and try again?

OP
B

Badger1313

Reaction score
I tried that again. No affect. There is a message window that blinks on for a split second, but its much to quick to read. Any other ideas?

JP 5.56

Reaction score
You might try downloading a different rom via your computer and installing that in recovery.

If you boot into Clockwork Recovery you will see an option for "partition menu" inside that there will be a "mount sdcard" this will allow you to mount the sdcard to your computer as disk storage and can copy another rom to the sd card.

I know there was some issue with Sapphire and the latest version of Clockwork Recovery. I don't know if this has anything to do with that, or if its been resolved but it might be worth a try to see if SS, Kangerade or BB will get the phone working again.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since OP is running Safire, moved thread to that section for further assistance.

PJnc284

Reaction score
Rom Manager can be wonky. Download the 0.8.4 version from this thread. You should be able to plug in your phone, mount USB mass storage and transfer the rom.zip over to the phone. You can also try tapping the screen in the following order to bypass the green droid screen: top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left. Once in recovery, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache. Then choose install rom from zip and choose the Sapphire rom you previously downloaded.

OP
B

Badger1313

Reaction score
Welcome wont work

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Tapping the screen in the clockwise pattern got me into the Droid where I discovered there was no network. I was able to download a different ROM (P3D-FRF84B), this is the "leaked" version. Then I used SPRecovery to wipe data and cache and flash the new ROM. This worked without a hitch. I used Titanium backup to reinstall my apps. When I tired to backup the current ROM using ROM Manager. It hung up in the reboot. but finally rebooted fully after several tries.

At this point, Im not too keen on ROM Manager and/or the version of Clock Work Recovery that it downloads.

I would tranfer this post to the safire (saphire?) and Rom Manager forums, but I don't know how. Please advise how to link or transfer this forum to others.

Finally, I need to know what else (if anything) should be changed to perk this beast up some more. I have the following setup on my Droid
Android version 2.2
Baseband version C_01.3E.03P
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9
pierce@mydroidworld#212

Any suggestions (remember i'm just a noob)? Thanks again.

Fultz33

Reaction score
When installing a froyo ROM, you need/should update the baseband which may be your problem with no network. Here is a link that Pete (Bugless Beast) made to update the baseband without any prerequisites. Here. Put it on your SD card and in ROM Manager just install ROM from SD and don't wipe data or cache. Might solve some problems.

OP
B

Badger1313

Reaction score
Thanks again for your assistance. I have two more issues. Currently my Moto Droid is configured as:

Android / Build: 2.2 / FRF84B
Baseband: C_01.43.01P
Kernel: 2.6.32.9-P3Droid (came with FRF48B)\

First Issue. I tried to change the kernel using the following method. I downloaded LV-250-1000-v32kernel.zip onto the root of my SD card, renamed it update.zip, then used SPRecovery to flash. The flash completed, but when I rebooted, I still found the previous kernel listed. I have ROM Manager Premium, but can't figure out how to find and update kernels with it. Any suggestions? And, if I do get a new kernel to download, will it have a way to select the speed, or is that automatic? Is there an app that tests the speed.

Second Issue. I thought that I would be able to download Adobe Flash for Android. When I tried, the sites either don't find it or can't download. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your input.

supersaki

Reaction score
Thanks again for your assistance. I have two more issues. Currently my Moto Droid is configured as:

Android / Build: 2.2 / FRF84B
Baseband: C_01.43.01P
Kernel: 2.6.32.9-P3Droid (came with FRF48B)\

First Issue. I tried to change the kernel using the following method. I downloaded LV-250-1000-v32kernel.zip onto the root of my SD card, renamed it update.zip, then used SPRecovery to flash. The flash completed, but when I rebooted, I still found the previous kernel listed. I have ROM Manager Premium, but can't figure out how to find and update kernels with it. Any suggestions? And, if I do get a new kernel to download, will it have a way to select the speed, or is that automatic? Is there an app that tests the speed.

As far as using ROM Manager to download kernels, it is the same as downloading a ROM. You'll look for the dev's name in the list and then select the kernel you want to install. Always make sure you have a clean backup before testing kernels!

Second Issue. I thought that I would be able to download Adobe Flash for Android. When I tried, the sites either don't find it or can't download. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Is the kernel you downloaded another p3 kernel? If so, it probably won't change in the 'about' section. You need setCPU from the market to change the clock speeds.

You should be able to download Adobe Flash Player Beta 3 from the market, if you didn't do the 'market fix'. BTW, if you don't know what the market fix is, you probably don't need it anyways. That said, flash is not perfect and I haven't gotten it to work on some sites, but I don't use it often enough to give a good opinion on it.

litso

Reaction score
Like Supersaki said, the 'About Phone' section isn't always accurate. SetCPU is probably the best way to see what speed your CPU is running at. Also keep in mind that not all kernels work with all ROMs and Android versions. The hardware in some funs will run 1.25GHz Ultra Low Voltage kernels no problem, some just won't do it. Get your phone running stable with a stock ROM/Kernel and make a nandroid backup (through SPRecovery or ROM Manager) then start trying out different kernels to see what works for your particular set up. Usually I start with the max speed I would want running the lowest voltages (typically a 1.1GHz ULV). If my phone runs stable that's what I'll stick with unless it eats through my battery too fast. If its not stable, start backing off the speed or switch to a LV or Standard Voltage.

As far as ROM Manager and ClockworkMod go, don't give up on them. They can be a little finicky at times, and have had several issues lately, but its a great platform and a great resource. There is a known issue with ClockworkMod Recovery getting broken when you first flash it. The easiest solution is just to go into ROM Manager and click 'Flash Alternate Recovery' down near the bottom. This will switch it to SPRecovery, then press 'Flash Clockwork Recover' near the top. Should install correctly from there, but there is still and issue with the latest version of Clockwork not being able to install some ROMs (such as Sapphire 0.8.4).

Being able to find ROMs or Kernels there is dependent on the developer getting it set up. Last I checked most of the kernels I use weren't on ROM Manager, I think only P3 and Beckit are on there. Those two certainly make some good kernels (and they are both largely to thank for kernel development as we know it), but I usually have better success with ChevyNo1 and jdlfg (I think that's his name, he's on Cyanogenmod forums) kernels. My phone just likes them better. You can also find some kernels written specifically for Sapphire here:
http://files.ccroms.net/sapphire/fro...rnels.testing/

OP
B

Badger1313

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help. It sure is great to have a place to get answers. The folks on this site are super.

setCPU did the trick (nice app). I had downloaded another P3 Kernel, so it did not change the title much. My Droid is now set to run 250-1000m depending on load and charge. Provides speed and battery conservation. Works great! dancedroid

I previously downloaded the "Adobe Flash Showcase for mobile" which turns out to be just a promo for Flash. It directs me to a Flash Player 10.1 download. But when I try it, I get a message "The requested item could not be found." The same thing happens when I look for Flash on the Market. Is there a permission issue or some other block that I need to fix? Any suggestions? :icon_eek:

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the help. It sure is great to have a place to get answers. The folks on this site are super.

setCPU did the trick (nice app). I had downloaded another P3 Kernel, so it did not change the title much. My Droid is now set to run 250-1000m depending on load and charge. Provides speed and battery conservation. Works great! dancedroid

I previously downloaded the "Adobe Flash Showcase for mobile" which turns out to be just a promo for Flash. It directs me to a Flash Player 10.1 download. But when I try it, I get a message "The requested item could not be found." The same thing happens when I look for Flash on the Market. Is there a permission issue or some other block that I need to fix? Any suggestions? :icon_eek:

Flash beta 3 should be on market, unless you applied the market hack.

Otherwise, there's a link to get flash on the sapphire site.

OP
B

Badger1313

Reaction score
What is the Market "Hack"? I must have done something, because Flash is not there, nor is SuperCam or some other apps I previously used. Assuming I did "Hack", how can I check and undo?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is the Market "Hack"? I must have done something, because Flash is not there, nor is SuperCam or some other apps I previously used. Assuming I did "Hack", how can I check and undo?

It's a change to build.prop to make market think you're running 2.1-update 1.

Check ro.build.description in your build.prop.