Waze Navigation

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
The people from Waze finally updated their Android app to 3.0 and it's a huge improvement in both functionality and appearance.

For those who don't know, Waze is a community gps. Meaning, the more people that use it, the more accurate the results. Waze provides instant updates for traffic, hazards, police, etc. They've really packed a lot of features in - you have to use it for a couple days to grasp what's possible. One thing, that's really great is being able to update maps yourself - I've always hated waiting for Garmin or Google to update their maps.

I've always been a die hard Google Maps Nav user and never thought I would change. I decided to give Waze a shot and I haven't looked back since. Since the update last night, the interface improvement is so drastic, I now prefer it to Google Maps. The appearance and interface was the only thing lacking for me and it's now fixed. I suggest everyone try it out. The more people we have use it, the better our navigation will be.

Waze Navigation

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. It's installing right now on my Gnex. I'll test it today and if favorable I'll put it to the ultimate test - I'll install it on the my wife's Bionic!!

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. It's installing right now on my Gnex. I'll test it today and if favorable I'll put it to the ultimate test - I'll install it on the my wife's Bionic!!

Awesome, I'll think you'll like it. I especially love the speed trap alerts and the auto rerouting - something Google nav will never have.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Awesome, I'll think you'll like it. I especially love the speed trap alerts and the auto rerouting - something Google nav will never have.

I'm heading to town in a few minutes and will run it today. I do like the interface, but that's about all I have so far. I'll post something tonight. It's fun to have a new app to play with!! DancingNexus

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm heading to town in a few minutes and will run it today. I do like the interface, but that's about all I have so far. I'll post something tonight. It's fun to have a new app to play with!! DancingNexus

Yeah, this app is only as good as your user base. I'm not sure about Baton Rouge, but here in DC there are thousands of Waze users, so traffic data is VERY accurate.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, this app is only as good as your user base. I'm not sure about Baton Rouge, but here in DC there are thousands of Waze users, so traffic data is VERY accurate.

Well here in Baton Rouge there will probably be three of us on a good day!! :icon_ lala:

captdroid

Reaction score
Thanks sbenson... might have to give this a try... I checked it out a while back but at the time did not seem good as Google Maps

captdroid

Reaction score
Any way to get driving directions in Waze for the Navigated to location? I like being able to see the turn by turn at times.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any way to get driving directions in Waze for the Navigated to location? I like being able to see the turn by turn at times.

Sorry Captain, what do you mean by this? Do you mean a list of directions like in Google nav? If so, yes.

captdroid

Reaction score
Sorry Captain, what do you mean by this? Do you mean a list of directions like in Google nav? If so, yes.

Yes the list of directions like in Google Navigation... where is that?

alboboy10

Reaction score
My friends have it on their iPhone. From what I've seen that thing is terrible. It always gives bad directions. The interface is terrible. I wouldn't switch from Google maps. Google maps is nearly perfect.

captdroid

Reaction score
My friends have it on their iPhone. From what I've seen that thing is terrible. It always gives bad directions. The interface is terrible. I wouldn't switch from Google maps. Google maps is nearly perfect.

That's what I am concerned about... Google Navigation works really well. Waze does have some interesting features. And Google Navigation can get wonky at times with it's routing but overall Google Navigation works great!

alboboy10

Reaction score
That's what I am concerned about... Google Navigation works really well. Waze does have some interesting features. And Google Navigation can get wonky at times with it's routing but overall Google Navigation works great!

Navigation on Google reroutes right away. My friends waze couldn't recognize that he was driving on the service road as opposed to the highway. It just has a lot of glitches. And they tried to make it nice and 3d like but its just poorly done in my opinion. If I had to rate the two, I'd give Google maps a 8.5/10 and waze a 4/10.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Navigation on Google reroutes right away. My friends waze couldn't recognize that he was driving on the service road as opposed to the highway. It just has a lot of glitches. And they tried to make it nice and 3d like but its just poorly done in my opinion. If I had to rate the two, I'd give Google maps a 8.5/10 and waze a 4/10.

So you've tried 3.0 on Android then? Don't get me wrong, it's far from perfect and still needs some work, but the traffic updates and auto re-route are invaluable if you commute in a metro area like me.

Last edited: