Waze Navigation

alboboy10

Reaction score
So you've tried 3.0 on Android then? Don't get me wrong, it's far from perfect and still needs some work, but the traffic updates and auto re-route are invaluable if you commute in a metro area like me.

I live in NY lol no more metro than that. The new maps is awesome. Like I said to me its nearly perfect. And traffic is pinpoint

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I played with it while driving around town today for lunch and a few errands. It worked flawlessly for me. It's routes were good and it re-routed with ease. I loved getting the pop-ups about accidents and slow traffic. I really, really like the interface. This is going to be my "daily driver".

And BTW even in Baton Rouge there seemed to 15-20 users on the road at any one time. I imagine that number will just continue to get larger and larger.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I played with it while driving around town today for lunch and a few errands. It worked flawlessly for me. It's routes were good and it re-routed with ease. I loved getting the pop-ups about accidents and slow traffic. I really, really like the interface. This is going to be my "daily driver".

And BTW even in Baton Rouge there seemed to 15-20 users on the road at any one time. I imagine that number will just continue to get larger and larger.

Were you using this on your G-Nex? Landscape mode doesn't work for me. That's the only serious bug I've found, everything else is flawless. As far as functions, they need to add an option to avoid tolls.

To Captain: It appears they removed the direction list. Maybe their reasoning was since they re-route you automatically based of traffic conditions, the directions list would be a bit redundant? I dunno? Honestly, I would have preferred they left this in...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Still loving this app. In fact my wife put it on her Bionic too. I forced it to recalculate our route and it did a great job. This may become my Daily Driver.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any way to get driving directions in Waze for the Navigated to location? I like being able to see the turn by turn at times.

I read on their website that there's a list of features from the old app that they're going to bring back in a future update. The directions list is one of them.

In all honesty, after using 3.0 for a full week now, I have to say I think they rushed this. After being very high on it, it now feels half baked to me. Just too buggy and unstable at this time.

Issues I'm having (keep in mind, some of these could be issues with the G-Nex only):
  • Landscape mode doesn't work - screen rotates but the right half of the screen is black; this eventually causes the app to crash.
  • If navigating a route and you check for alternative routes, it cancels the route you're currently on.
  • Every couple uses, the app will not close completely without going into apps and performing a force stop.
  • Route preference learning hasn't worked so far; the app knows when I'm going to and from work and suggests a route, but it still hasn't learned my preferences yet.
  • Location tracking seems to be less accurate than Google Maps. More often than I'd like, Waze thinks I'm on a parallel road to the one I'm actually on. Google Maps rarely does this.
  • Voices prompts are far too late; turn directions are spoken way too late.
  • Some of the routes that get suggested are routes than cannot be driven. I know this will improve with time, but as-is, it's super annoying not to know if you can trust the re-routing or not.
Things that work really well:
  • Automatic routes: When I get in the car in the morning, Waze asks me if I'm going to work, then proceeds to show me the fastest route. It does the same for the way home.
  • Traffic reporting is the best I've seen in any Nav app. Far more accurate that Google Maps loose estimates. Waze is literally reports in real time as it gathers data.
  • Speed trap and hazard reporting is awesome. Same as above, this is reported in real time. I've already been saved from a couple speed traps and traffic cameras.
  • Presentation is leaps and bounds better than the previous version. It's catching up to Google Maps, but not quite there in terms of polish.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Another benefit Waze have is that its available in multiple countries (as long as you have a data connection) more countries then Google Nav, it's actually an Israeli start-up company that is developing it and they are moving in rapid pace. Just the past summer they have had a contract with the City of Los Angeles to help with the closure of the 405 freeway for 56 hours. Anyone in the LA area refers to that freeway as the 405 parking lot. The city used that app to report available open routes around the closure...

I know for a fact we will see great new features in Waze.

BTW - not that us Droid users need to care but Waze is the only free turn by turn voice navigation app on the iPhone that i am aware of.

Great thread sbenson.

sr.torres22

Reaction score
Went ahead and started using Waze after i saw this thread. Let me tell you. This app is amazing!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
After a day of running the current beta, it's much improved on the Galaxy Nexus.

They fixed landscape mode so I no longer have half a black screen. They also fixed the fc's when trying to multitask, however Waze still gets killed from time to time if it's running in the background. Error reporting still seems borked.

Overall, this release is a 7/10. Good step forward but there is still a ton of room for improvement and polish.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
I still get half black screen in landscape mode. Used it yesterday. Then it reboot my phone three time. I gave up. Well for now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still get half black screen in landscape mode. Used it yesterday. Then it reboot my phone three time. I gave up. Well for now

Did you install the beta I mentioned previously?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just found this. Give it a shot tomorrow when I plan on being out, stuck inside tonight:frown:

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Did you install the beta I mentioned previously?

I'm not sure. I downloaded when I saw this thread on day one.

edit- i just downloaded the new version from the link above and landscape mode is fixed. New version isn't on the market for some reason. Will try it again tomorrow.

Last edited: