Washing machine woes

Jer

Reaction score
:icon_eek: Wow! That's an ambitious project! Good luck with the surgery.

Cell phones are actually surprisingly simple to work on. The hardest part is getting the case open as each one uses a different process. Some are simple with a few screws and lifting straight off and some are more complex with pressure attached and hinged points that can be easily broken if not take off at a certain angle. Easiest way is to find a video or how to online for how to open the case. Once you've done that you're 95% to just about any repair you could want to do.

JimmyD

Reaction score
:icon_eek: Wow! That's an ambitious project! Good luck with the surgery.

Cell phones are actually surprisingly simple to work on. The hardest part is getting the case open as each one uses a different process. Some are simple with a few screws and lifting straight off and some are more complex with pressure attached and hinged points that can be easily broken if not take off at a certain angle. Easiest way is to find a video or how to online for how to open the case. Once you've done that you're 95% to just about any repair you could want to do.

Oh, I agree 100%! I did a lot of case modding to my old Treo650.... I could tear down and reassemble that little beast in my sleep.

It's just with the Droid... there's very close/fine tolerances and some parts that are not attached by screws, rather they're GLUED down! What a hassle.

OP
hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
When it went into the washer it was powered on. I didnt realize it was in there for probably 10 minutes. Took it out, immediately removed the battery, took it all apart, used electronic cleaner (aerosol spray that evaporates very quickly. Let that dry for a day, then put it in a pack with Silica Gel for a couple more days. Popped the battery in, red led immediately, so i'm guessing that the LED was damaged prior to me turning it on. The droid dissassembly is really not hard at all, especially if you watch the video on youtube beforehand. It can be completely dissassembled in 5 minutes even while being careful.

zakany

Reaction score
Running a cell phone through the wash was how I got my Droid to begin with.

lDemon

Reaction score
I was just recently at a friends house for a Pool/Kegger party, as i walked in to say hi to a girl-friend in the pool...another supposed friend pushed me in with Motorola Droid 1 in my pocket :angry: That was on Saturday night. and immediatly took it apart and put it in a bowl full of rice till morning, and just assumed its MIA for good. Do you guys think since after me reading this thread that it has a possibility to survive. I get off at 5:30 and im gonna rush home to try and resusitate it. Pray for my poor little droid. Honestly its no major deal though since last month at my store(i work for Verizon) we hit our monthly goal, so i got to choose to get a Motorola Droid X for free, we just have to wait to get it in(it has to become available to all customers first). So for now(the past few days i've been using a Motorola Razr....PLEASE GOD I HOPE IT WORKS TONIGHT). LOL

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I was just recently at a friends house for a Pool/Kegger party, as i walked in to say hi to a girl-friend in the pool...another supposed friend pushed me in with Motorola Droid 1 in my pocket

Is said friend out of the hospital yet?

lDemon

Reaction score
no, I was already somewhat drunk/buzzin...so i didnt mutilate his face. Plus i kept thinking im getting a new phone soon anyway ya know

Snozzberry

Reaction score
I dropped an old, cheap Audiovox in an automatic flushing toilet a few years back. Wasn't keen on sticking my hand in pee water before it was flushed away, but took it apart, dried it out and it worked fine after that.

Luckily my mom checks every little pocket before throwing them in the wash. Can't say my phone fits in my pocket though.

OP
hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
"I was just recently at a friends house for a Pool/Kegger party, as i walked in to say hi to a girl-friend in the pool...another supposed friend pushed me in with Motorola Droid 1 in my pocket :angry: That was on Saturday night. and immediatly took it apart and put it in a bowl full of rice till morning, and just assumed its MIA for good. Do you guys think since after me reading this thread that it has a possibility to survive. I get off at 5:30 and im gonna rush home to try and resusitate it. Pray for my poor little droid. Honestly its no major deal though since last month at my store(i work for Verizon) we hit our monthly goal, so i got to choose to get a Motorola Droid X for free, we just have to wait to get it in(it has to become available to all customers first). So for now(the past few days i've been using a Motorola Razr....PLEASE GOD I HOPE IT WORKS TONIGHT). LOL "

Wish i had caught your post earlier, i would have recommended, and do to anyone else that reads this in the future, Dont just wait a couple/few days, especially if you are not taking it apart/running alcohol through it/using silica to draw out moisture. I would let it sit a minimum of 1 week if you dont want to take it apart, 2 weeks would be even better, a lot of moisture gets in there, and really has no where to evaporate in a closed case. Anyways best of luck, hope your droid survived. I know, it seems like an eternity, but it could save you $200, and you might be out longer if you fry it. Just remember, if you turn it on too early, there is no going back.

dagr8tim

Reaction score
Both of my D1's have gotten wet. My GF was out in a pouring rain with her phone in her pocket. It got alittle wet inside. It never actually stopped working or showed any outward signs of problems. I turned the GPS, WiFi, & Bluetooth on, and set the screen to full brightness and put it on the charger. It did some weird things for about 30 minutes and then snapped back to life.

My droid fell out of it's pocket holster into a toilet. I pulled the battery, and left it open for about 24 hours to dry. Everything works fine except the physical camera button. When you hit it, it brings up the search box, and a long press will populate it with "p's". Camera works fine from the shortcut on home screen, so I'm not worried.

Powering off and completely drying out are the key.