Razr Maxx Wet from washing machine!!

sushispin

Reaction score
I would love some advice. After searching everywhere for my phone this morning I am walking by the washing machine and see a flash of light, look in and there is my phone....
I stopped the washing machine and took the phone out. It probably spent about 20 minutes in the machine. The phone is still on and is currently stuck on a screen that says that music player isn't responding and would i like to wait. None of the buttons work at this time. I removed the sim card and sd card and used canned air to dry it as much as possible. I was also able to shake a bit of water out. I have it in a bag of rice. Any more suggestions?

As I am writing this I noticed that the screen went dark, after 15 minutes of being constantly on.
New paper weight?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
:/ most likely. 20 minutes is a long time in water. Leave it in rice for a few days and see if it comes back to life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
S

sushispin

Reaction score
Has anyone actually had a successful rice experience with a doused phone?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sounds like it.. the main problem with these phones is you let them dry for a few days and you can not get them to recover /start up because of the battery dying.

some poeple get lucky and the charger cable will work but most of them have to get factory cables .which there is a post around here somewhere that tells you how to make one. It is not easy and you need to be handy with a soldering gun.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound uncaring, but I can't even hold my breath that long under water. Your phone is probably history. The rice trick is probably not going to help, but it can't hurt to try. All of the successes with a bag of rice are just anecdotal and not really proven to be the reason the phone came back to life. I'd love to do a study on 200 phones that I submerge in water for a set time and then put 100 in rice and allow 100 to air dry to see if rice actually helps. Anyone care to donate 200 phones for my research?
Do you have insurance on the phone?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound uncaring, but I can't even hold my breath that long under water. Your phone is probably history. The rice trick is probably not going to help, but it can't hurt to try. All of the successes with a bag of rice are just anecdotal and not really proven to be the reason the phone came back to life. I'd love to do a study on 200 phones that I submerge in water for a set time and then put 100 in rice and allow 100 to air dry to see if rice actually helps. Anyone care to donate 200 phones for my research?
Do you have insurance on the phone?

i often wondered that as well .. i for one never stick a phone in rice i set it by a register to get indirect air for about 3 to 5 days ( lucky for me i dont get phones wet very often..now i break screens like they are going out of style sometimes)

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
i often wondered that as well .. i for one never stick a phone in rice i set it by a register to get indirect air for about 3 to 5 days ( lucky for me i dont get phones wet very often..now i break screens like they are going out of style sometimes)
I agree. I think that's a far better idea than rice. A very warm, dry envirionment with good air circulation should do as good or better than rice. Actually I'd like to do a very large study and compare the following:
  1. do nothing
  2. bag of rice
  3. bag of silica desiccant packets
  4. storage in very warm (130 - 150 degrees) dry environment with circulating air
  5. the above warm storage with the addition of silica packets
I'm still looking for a sponsor for phone donations.

OP
S

sushispin

Reaction score
Wet phone update

I couldn't help but look inside the rice bag, the screen that had gone dark now is black has a dark screen and has the text below. Can someone help me interpret that?

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)

0A.74

eMMC Info: Size 16GB

To return to normal mode-first press power key to power down

Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0

Battery OK

OK to Program

Connect USB

Data Cable

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well that is actually a good sign as it indicates the computer is functioning. It may not boot but is ready for programming. Wrist case scenario, you re-flash the ROM and you have a working phone again. Question is what components suffered damage?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jimmib

Reaction score
Has anyone actually had a successful rice experience with a doused phone?

my daughter dropped hers in the toilet...left it in rice for three days and it has been working for a month now so far,but it was one you can remove the battery from...good luck....I suggest you put it on its side so any moisture can run out the simcard and sd card ports

OP
S

sushispin

Reaction score
Can some nerd-o-rific person walk me through the next steps to seeing if this phone works. I am quite a technology tard and have a very limited vocabulary in phone/computer speak. Just pretend I am 7 and I might be able to understand it!

Thank you in advance. There will be snacks provided.

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)

0A.74

eMMC Info: Size 16GB

To return to normal mode-first press power key to power down

Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0

Battery OK

OK to Program

Connect USB

Data Cable[/QUOTE]

OP
S

sushispin

Reaction score
The phone appears to be dry!! Whats next?!?
Thank you for any advice. I am at a complete loss.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If it is stuck on that screen it may be toast. Next step would be to download RSD Lite and attempt to flash ICS back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
GoCliffGo is correct. It's in the mode for programming, and if that's all you can get to, it indicates that the root process for booting is damaged. Flashing a new ROM over top of the corrupted one MAY (I say cautiously), resolve this.

RSD Lite: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=784077&d=1321414457

Motorola Drivers: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481

Droid RAZR ROM (6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US): http://www.mediafire.com/?6kru60bm4u7le5v

Or it can be pulled from Matt's utility: http://www.batakang.com/ftp/DROID_RAZR/DroidRazrUtility1.82.zip

Last edited: