Washing machine woes

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Guess my wife thought my droid was dirty and needed a good washing. I was looking for my shorts i had changed out of to go swimming, thats when i heard the washing machine in the background.

Evidently 10 minutes earlier my shorts had been thrown in. Pulled out the droid and the screen was filled with water, as well as everything else. Have it all taken apart and drying with some silica packs. Been 48 hours, but going to give it some more time.

Man i feel like i have nothing to do in my spare time now lol. Wish me luck, if nothing else, i'm gonna buy a broken screen droid on ebay and swap out the parts.

OP
hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Hehe, thats funny. Ironically enough i had just read that 2nd link you sent the day before it happened. So i quickly popped the battery out, hopped on youtube to find a disassembly video and took it all apart (which was not fun without the correct T5 tool, smallest i had was a T10), i knew with that much water in there i needed to pull it apart to get the majority out first. I used some electronics cleaner, which evaps quick like the alcohol (didnt have any, and the stores were closed at the time) Guess i'll wait till Thursday to try it out, that will be 5 days.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
best of luck to you my friend.

I had a similar experience with my old RAZR V3m.
Took it out of the washing machine.
Let it sit for 4 days.
Said a little prayer to the cellphone gods.
It lived a happy life afterwards.

joker402

Reaction score
put it in rice!!! im serious it helps suck up the water

OP
hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Hoping to have a similar experience Speeding Wheels. Definately saying a little prayer. Fighting the temptation to try it out too soon. Oh how your addiction shows its ugly face when you are forced to quit cold turkey.

Reaction score
Two jobs ago we used dish washers to wash circuit boards for military grade aircraft power converters/inverters.

There's still hope for your Droid! :-D

Jer

Reaction score
That's funny because the wife just washed one of my fully charged Droid batteries tonight as well. I wear 5.11 pants/shorts that have LOTS of pockets for all of my tacti-cool stuff. Well, she missed one of the pockets inside a pocket (who could miss that.. duh) and inside was a Droid battery since I carry a couple spares generally. I realized once the washing machine was done what had happened. Removed the battery, wiped it dry and I'll damned if it didn't work fine. Phone is still sitting on 80% charge too. So, sounds like one of us ended up alright anyway.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't recommend you try this with any form of rechargeable battery as NiCAD, NiMH, Li-Ion & Li-POL don't play well with H2O.

OP
hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Update: Put battery in, LED is constant red, turns on, works great, screen looks like crap, seems to have some soap residue left in it. Other than that it is fine, will be looking for a new screen on ebay i guess.

JimmyD

Reaction score
dancedroid Glad to hear that it's still alive! Good luck with the replacement screen search and surgery.

Good thing you realized it was in the wash before it hit the high-heat-tumble-dry cycle in your dryer!!! :icon_ goofy:

OP
hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Haha, yeah, thanks :) Makes me wonder if it wouldnt have dried out quicker that way lol. I did get some random typing a little bit ago, it was doing something like jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjkkkkkkkkkljjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj so i peeled back the keyboard and it had a small amount of moisture in there, used a can of air duster and now its good.

OP
hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Update: almost a week later, the LED light is still a constant red, the screen has improved a lot however, i believe in another week it will look like it used to. If the LED would quit shining red it would be back to normal. Anyway, ordered a droid on ebay with cracked glass on the front for $123.50, so i'll swap my glass over to it, then part out my old one.

JimmyD

Reaction score
If the LED would quit shining red it would be back to normal.

There's always the universal cure-all..... DUCT TAPE!!! :icon_ goofy: I think a piece about what.... 3 square millimeters? ...will cover up that LED pretty good eh?

Anyway, ordered a droid on ebay with cracked glass on the front for $123.50, so i'll swap my glass over to it, then part out my old one.

:icon_eek: Wow! That's an ambitious project! Good luck with the surgery.

Jer

Reaction score
Update: almost a week later, the LED light is still a constant red, the screen has improved a lot however, i believe in another week it will look like it used to. If the LED would quit shining red it would be back to normal. Anyway, ordered a droid on ebay with cracked glass on the front for $123.50, so i'll swap my glass over to it, then part out my old one.

When it comes to mobile devices your worst enemy isn't water... it's shorting out. If you're phone is off then likely nothing will be damaged if you get it wet. If you're able to power it off immediately and pull the battery then likely you will be fine if you let it dry completely before attempting to power it up again. I was a level 5 Nokia repair tech some years ago and you would be amazed how many soaked phones I saved with a very simple process: Take phone apart and hit with a tooth brush using denatured alcohol thoroughly. Then allow to dry which only takes a couple minutes with denatured alcohol.... can be MUCH longer with water, especially if you're not taking the device apart to allow for evaporation. Weeks wouldn't be an exaggeration. If you have ANY moisture inside when you power the phone back on at all you risk damage depending on what traces or components short across the moisture. Sounds like you shorted your LED or the component that controls that and this will likely never fix itself. The display may eventually get better if it's just a moisture problem in this display but anytime you short some electrical out it doesn't fix itself once it's dry. If I were you I would have taken the phone apart (warranty was already voided as soon as it got wet) and cleaned thoroughly before attempting to power it back on. At this point I would be thankful there isn't further damage since you didn't wait very long.