Want a perfect Bionic? Can't Wait For The Update? Here's How..

diablo81588

Reaction score
Camera is a non issue on this build. Literally zero shutter lag. Wish someone could deodex this build so I could get my 1% battery mod back lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I took a bunch of the same pictures before and after updating, saw zero difference in speed or quality, I'm sorry to say. I've gotta call at least a little bit of "placebo effect" on the camera. Stock camera, anyway. Moto's had the same "issues" on their cameras since the D1, so I wouldn't expect them to all of a sudden have a magical solution for it, honestly - but that's the cynical side of me talking. :)

Haven't been updated long enough to comment on battery life or consistency of 4G connection. Phone doesn't feel any snappier than it did before, but I haven't had much installed on it anyway. Turning off wifi to test "idle" 4g connection...

diablo81588

Reaction score
Shutter lag is the time it takes once you hit the button to shoot the picture. Before, it would try to refocus before taking the shot, but now it takes the picture immediately. Huge improvement.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shutter lag is the time it takes once you hit the button to shoot the picture. Before, it would try to refocus before taking the shot, but now it takes the picture immediately. Huge improvement.

Only if it's autofocused first. If you come into a fresh shot, it still takes a few seconds, and even then it sometimes is "re-autofocusing" even if I don't move.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
So the time to focus in the first place still stinks? Is the color improved?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

in my opinion, yes then no, but I'm clearly cynical on the issue ;)

diablo81588

Reaction score
Only if it's autofocused first. If you come into a fresh shot, it still takes a few seconds, and even then it sometimes is "re-autofocusing" even if I don't move.

Takes mine about two seconds once the camera app loads to focus, then I can take one picture after another without hesitation. I even tried covering the lense with my hand to bring it out of focus and it still took the picture instantly.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Takes mine about two seconds once the camera app loads to focus, then I can take one picture after another without hesitation. I even tried covering the lense with my hand to bring it out of focus and it still took the picture instantly.

I don't know... if I really try and look, maybe there is some improvement there. I've had HTC phones for awhile now since my D1/DX, so maybe I'm just spoiled. Their cameras are great.

diablo81588

Reaction score

If two seconds from the time the app loads stinks then your expecting too much out of a phone camera. I watched the galaxy nexus camera demo and I can't see any difference in speed after this update.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just grabbed my wife's Inc2 and took the same pictures. Initial load up/focus time is much better on the Inc2, but the Bionic's "shot to shot" time is actually a good bit faster than the Inc2.

Pic quality still better on the Inc2 though.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
So the focus is faster but the color still stinks

diablo81588

Reaction score
Took a few pics at Moody gardens aquarium a few weeks ago. I wouldn't call it dslr quality but I think its damn good for a phone. Keep in mind this is through thick glass and shot at 6mp.