Want a perfect Bionic? Can't Wait For The Update? Here's How..

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
The update isn't going to fix picture quality. ICS is going to fix (From what I have seen and understand) picture quality.

dpw2atox

Reaction score
Well I caved in and applied forever root and then the .893 update....considering how many others are doing so and that there is a method to get back on the upgrade path I figured why not. My initial observations are that the camera is faster though I dont notice any difference in quality. Overall the system feels faster, I noticed I had the least amount of ram used ever after the OTA. I also noticed my radios are working much better...I live in an area with solid 3g but weak 4g so its hell with the radio switching but this OTA helps.

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
So what's the consensus, after the update are you dropping data constantly or did this fix it?

My phone was flawless for the first two weeks, now I seem to drop data more often every day.

Abadus

Reaction score
After doing some rom-ing and what not I was getting horrid battery life. Loaded up my stock backup, flashed the OTA and removed some bloat. Wow best battery life I have had. I didn't notice a difference in speed everything is almost instant anyway. All I need now is 1% battery and the widget in the pull down. Will test more at work today, At work my phone usually does a lot of switching 4G 3G, so here is hoping my phone holds up :D

nateohio

Reaction score
So what's the consensus, after the update are you dropping data constantly or did this fix it?

My phone was flawless for the first two weeks, now I seem to drop data more often every day.

In my apartment I was constantly switching from 3G to 4G and vice versa, sometimes losing data as a whole. Since I did the update, It holds onto 4G more reliably and I haven't lost data completely yet. Battery life seems to be better but I am still testing this.

lgalcarte

Reaction score
I tried this last night about 4 times and when I got to the cheesecake app part, it didn't do anything - it said "should be good" right away and that's it. When I rebooted and went back into the cheesecake app for the change server, etc. part, when I clicked on the bottom one to take me to the next screen where motorola stuff was supposed to pop up - I went to a blank screen that never filled in. I restored my backup and went into the system/bin and fixed permissions of the mount file to execute and it had no effect. The directions also said do "exactly" as it said and so I tried it with and without the bullets in front of the string. Neither worked.

Restored my backup and will wait for another method.

For some reason this didn't work for me.

Rooted Bionic (since day 2)
Running Liberty RC1, cyan theme

Last edited:

dpw2atox

Reaction score
My Droid World Forumsf you want to skip cheesecake, simply go to this link and download the desired OTA.

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
can anyone verify the latest patch doesnt fix the vulnerability with the 3g mobile hotspot app (the sql "patch" if u will)

lgalcarte

Reaction score
Yeeee haaaa!!!

My Droid World Forumsf you want to skip cheesecake, simply go to this link and download the desired OTA.

SUCCESS!!! Forget the cheesy cheesecake and do it this way!! I'll use my phone for a bit and report back... (Oh, and I'm a total non-techy so if I can do this anyone can!) I'm gonna stay with stock root for a while before flashing any roms to see how things are working. I want to be able to tell if its ROM-related or updated-related.

WOOOO HOOOO!!! :hail: Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Ahem, now back to work...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I tried this last night about 4 times and when I got to the cheesecake app part, it didn't do anything - it said "should be good" right away and that's it. When I rebooted and went back into the cheesecake app for the change server, etc. part, when I clicked on the bottom one to take me to the next screen where motorola stuff was supposed to pop up - I went to a blank screen that never filled in. I restored my backup and went into the system/bin and fixed permissions of the mount file to execute and it had no effect. The directions also said do "exactly" as it said and so I tried it with and without the bullets in front of the string. Neither worked.

Restored my backup and will wait for another method.

For some reason this didn't work for me.

Rooted Bionic (since day 2)
Running Liberty RC1, cyan theme

You clicked the second button, selected Staging, selected the top website? And then you when you do the third button you got nothing? If so I would suggest perhaps going back to the second button and pick a different option other than the top listed one. Then redo the third button thing.

Good luck.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didn't even realize this was posted here. Just so you guys know I updated the original post on Bionic Forums with another back out or safety net strategy.

terigox

Reaction score
Yes!!! This is awesome, thanks for doing this dev's!!! I have had so many issues with the dropped data it was really getting frustrating. Just did this tonight following the super easy instructions and had no issues. Will report back as I get to use it more!

Thanks again!! :icon_ banana:

jspencer67

Reaction score
I guess I am the idiot here.....

I was able to hack the crap out of my blackberries
I rooted my OGD

but the original instruction on how to root the phone went WAY over my head.....I guess it is for programmers and such

edit.......LOL.....Nevermind

Petes tool helps huh?

*hangs head in shame*

Last edited:

quizzard

Reaction score
Updated to 5.5.893 this afternoon, received a NICE surprise at the gym when listening to Pandora..

The high pitched whine is GONE! There is a small amount of white noise, but no worse than the OG or D2, BRILLIANT!

Using Pandora on 4g, listening through a pair of well broken in Shure SCL4's. Will be posting a new thread for the Audiophiles.

jsnietka

Reaction score
Fourth time update failed, even FXZ'd a second time to be sure :disappointed::serious::question:

For anyone having problems with the update failing, make sure you flash it in the stock recovery, the update doesn't seem to work in CMR.