Forever Root Question for5.5.893

wilkster

Reaction score
I have a question related to Superuser.apk and Forever root

I had recently installed the 5.5.893 cheesecake (same as last OTA) and was not previously rooted. I then proceeded to root the phone using the 1-Click Rooting method (since I had read on the forums the R3L3AS3DRoot method may not work on 5.5.893) and it worked fine and the Superuser app was installed fine and all was working well. I then wanted to foreever root using R3L3AS3DRoot, option 3 so I would retain root for the .901 update. I tried this method but received a permission error. I then manually appended the following three lines into the mount_ext3.sh file and crossed my fingers and rebooted.

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

The bionic booted fine and I looked at the logs and noted that the chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk was receiving a file not found error. I manually looked in /system/app and could not find the Superuser.apk file that should have been installed by the 'adb install Superuser.apk' command in the 1-click batch file. I then looked at the actual name and location of the installed Superuser application and it is actually called

/data/app/com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk

Maybe this is the result of the
'adb install Superuser.apk' command?

My question is, should the last line of the mount_ext3.sh file be
chmod 4755 /data/app/com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk

or should I manually copy the R3L3AS3DRoot Superuser.apk file to /system/appand then leave the last line ofmount_ext3.sh to

chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

Thanks,

Tonik

Reaction score
I just checked mine and it is set up exactly the same as yours and works. Check the permissions on the apk. Owner read write and the rest are read.

OP
W

wilkster

Reaction score
I just checked mine and it is set up exactly the same as yours and works. Check the permissions on the apk. Owner read write and the rest are read.
Thanks Tonik, which apk are you referring to? /data/app/com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk or /system/app/Superuser.apk? The former exists and the latter does not exist.

Tonik

Reaction score
The one that exists. Your files appear to be in the right place and are named correctly. Mine are exactly the same.

toy4x4

Reaction score
Hey I don't feel like anyone here fully answered the OP question.
I'm trying to figure out the same thing here and I just installed Superuser.apk via adb install and it places it /data/app/com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk not /system/app/Superuser.apk
When I look in /system/app/ there is no Superuser.apk nor should there be considering this is where the preinstalled moto and verizon apps are housed.

So why is this line in the 4ever root instructions to chmod 755 /system/Supersuser.apk when when this file does not exist?
Is there a root method that places a Superuser.apk here?
Also user apps installed in /data/app/ are all set to 644 permissions not 755 so this is also not clear?

Last edited:
OP
W

wilkster

Reaction score
I think it turns out you don't need to set superuser for the apk file. I think as long as su is superuser than you are good.

toy4x4

Reaction score
I think it turns out you don't need to set superuser for the apk file. I think as long as su is superuser than you are good.

Right, the SUID bit is unnecessary and I know many of the earlier posts out there listed it as chmod 4755 /data/app/Superuser.apk but on closer look it was changed to chmod 755. This change was made because the Superuser.apk app does not need to run as SUID root. Apparently the Superuser.apk can gain root privileges through the su binary that is installed to /system/bin and-or /system/xbin/ during the rooting process. This leads me back to the real question here, Why is this line even necessary if there is no /data/app/Superuser.apk or is there a rooting method or custom roms that place a Superuser.apk in the /data/app directory?
Keep in mind the Superuser.apk by chainsdd is installed to /data/app/com.noshufou.android.su-1.apk so if any chmod line was necessary it would point here.