Want a perfect Bionic? Can't Wait For The Update? Here's How..

xxnonamexx

Reaction score
Thanks how about the Root on page 1 I do not see how to root it looking at the steps they show how to use Bionic Bootstrap and how to retain root but not how to root it.

jrshelton13

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the difference is between this and the 4ever root from Theory? I had to do the fastboot and root yesterday and thought I did the 4ever root, but I went into /system/bin and there were no changes?

I still have root and have done P3's method the other day too, just curious.

Thanks to the dev's anyway for the options to root in the first place!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

cubssuck1908

Reaction score
What specific bloatware needs to be present in order for the update to work?
I can't remember which apps I deleted (not froze) with TiBu and the update isn't working :(

krayneeum

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the instructions...very detailed and easy to follow.

It also kept the settings.db unmodified, so the wifi-tether trick still works as well.

Batman8

Reaction score
I just upgraded using the .zip file from this post and it took me up to 5.5.893 instead of what I expected which is 5.7.893. Is this the most current version? Will it be a problem? Am I still in line for other OTA updates now that I am on this version.

I also LOST ROOT even though I had already applied the permanent root method, which obviously DID NOT WORK!! So how can I get rooted again? I tried the one click method but it didn't work now that I'm on this new version.

Please HELP!

Last edited:

srgolub

Reaction score
Does anyone have the .999 file mentioned by the OP? With 5.8.894 out, and lots of people trying to get back to fully stock (including kernel and baseband) it would be helpful to know if that file really does revert the phone entirely to stock.

dags5000

Reaction score
999 update does not restore kernel :( patch fails on asserting boot

FYI - i just tried the 999 update to see if it would restore completely to stock (kernel included) and it doesn't work. fails on asserting the boot (apply_patch_check("MTD:boot.... blah)....

too bad :(

NOTE: This was originally posted on BionicForums.Net By NerdsLogic.

** PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK **

Original Link:

Ah....now my Bionic is much better.

Finally....fast camera...check....faster homescreen....check...better battery life....check.....system standby battery percentage reduced significantly...check.....new radio...check....new kernal....check....new webdock....check

c6918f02-3a82-982f.jpg

How did this happen you ask? Let me show you. BUT I am going to give a HUGE warning in advance. I did this without a hitch and almost too easily.....but others are having trouble so I feel I should make it clear....FOLLOW ALL THE STEPS AS THEY ARE POSTED OR ELSE.....oh....and of course I NOR XDA OR BIONICFORUMS.NET OR DROIDFORUMS.NET ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE. Another warning....THIS MIGHT TAKE YOU OUT OF THE UPGRADE PATH...meaning you might not get the OTA should it be different than this. But....there is a work around for that should that be the case.

Did you think that was the only warning? It isn't. I am going to link to the thread and post the quote directly from P3 himself

Here is the thread

Motorola Permanent Root - xda-developers

Here is the quote

"I am posting this here in hopes that some of you heed my warning.
The permanent root method was released so that when, and its coming, when motorola pushed out an update you would maintain root through the update. I never intended for everyone to use it to update their devices to 5.5.891/892/893. Updating to those updates still bears some risk as you are officially off the update path until we find out what the next update is, and if it is not one of those listed above, you could have your phone stuck not being able to fully update.

Truthfully, I think people should have fun and that is what android is about in my eyes but just flashing newer builds to say "hey I'm now on .893" is not, in my opinion, prudent.

How the root method works:

When init runs at the start of the booting process is runs files in the init.rc, one of those files is mount_ext3.sh. When you add that code to the end of the file you have told the kernel to give the 4755 permission to su, which means you will always have root.

How to check if it works:

This part opens your phone up and is dangerous, I only use it to check to make sure my script is running correctly.

add the following line (this will perma mount system as r/w DANGEROUS) mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system.

reboot your device.

using rootexplorer (or something similar) go to /system you should see MOUNT R/O in top right corner.

if you see that then I suggest going back to mount_ext3.sh and removing the mount command.

---------------------------

There you have it, be careful.

****Always ensure that your mount_ext3.sh is given correct permissions 4755 ****

TeamBlackHat"

OK...if you read that and still want to continue....keep in mind I mentioned a work around which will get covered....then here we go.

What you need:

YOU MUST BE ON .886 WITH ALL BLOAT UNFROZEN AND PRESENT....if not FXZ back then continue
Bionic Bootstrap
Root (duh)
Cheesecake app (will link to that)
Root Explorer
Patients

Got it all? Let's continue

First things first....let's ensure that we retain root through this process. Once again thank you P3 for this

Open Root Explorer
go to /system/bin
on the top right click on the Mount R/W (should change it to mount R/O)
look for mount_ext3.sh and open it in the Text editor (long press then scroll down)
scroll to the bottom of the script then click enter twice adding 2 blank lines
now type in the follow 3 entries EXACTLY like I have them below
  • chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
  • chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
  • chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
After this save the file....you will notice that a new file is "created"....mount_ext3.sh.bak which is a backup of the original unmodified file.

then click on the Mount R/O so it changes back to Mount R/W

some are saying you need to check mount_ext3.sh execute permission after editing but I didn't do this.

Once done reboot your device. Congrats....you just obtained permanent root that SHOULD according to P3 survive any OTA.

Next let's make a backup of our current setup....just in case
Open Bionic Boostrap, select first option, wait for success, select second option...when phone boots navigate to backup and restore, backup, and make a backup of your current setup.

Next....let's set ourselves up to get the new update
...what do you say?

Download and install the Cheesecake app which you can find in the first post of this thread

*Bootloader Unlock Research* Cheesecake Clarification - xda-developers

Direct link to download

http://db.tt/dDxs8cQ4

open the app and click on the first option "Click to create proper files"
wait till complete and you get indication of success
Reboot your phone

ok....so here is the tough part....Let's get the update
wink.png

Open the Cheesecake app again
select second option "Click to change server"
click on "staging"
click on "master-staging1.blurdev.com
now click the third button "Check for updates"

you will be greeted with a pop up saying it requires a Motorola Service account....just click setup to bypass it

you will see several options....but only 2 are of importance to you right now...and only 1 of those will get you to where I am. The 2 of importance are.....

what's the difference?

893- is a new update that provides a new radio and kernal....as well as enhancements to memory management, the camera (big time) as well as resolves a few issues I was experiencing like 4g staying on while WiFi is on....then not connecting to 4g when disconnecting from WiFi. In addition it took my Standby battery usage from 20% to 2%....yeah....battery life seems to be endless now as well.

999- this is said to take you back to 886. Should you have issues in 893 you would open Cheesecake and take the download of the 999. Once installed you should be back on 886. This is the work around I was discussing.

Keep in mind this "work around" is purely theory as far as I know. I can't verify it as I can't see the 999 now that I am on 893.

So....you are going to select the 893 for the update. However....I just found that one 893 you don't see the 999. So can someone download the 999, select install later or something and email me the zip.

When you select the 893 you are going to.....well....sit back and watch. It is an OTA from Moto that downloads and installs just like any OTA you have ever taken.....not so tough right?

So....there you have it. Many notice a huge difference in Camera speed and quality. Also noticing definite speed increases with the navigation of the phone including the default launcher and performance of 3rd party launchers such as LPP. I haven't found an app that didn't work yet. 4g signal seems stronger than ever and much faster to connect. Haven't had to reboot yet for anything.

Some are reporting being able to FXZ back, permaroot (addressed above) and were off to the races....others claim to be stock on older OS with new Kernal and Radio...some even claim to be in the hybrid stage without root.

There are ROM's such as the new Theory ROM that already use the new Kernal and Radio so I don't believe you will be stuck as there are options out there.

Take heed to the warnings....this is not for the faint of heart.

All of those with issues that I have read so far did NOT follow all the steps as I posted them. They either did the ADB way...didn't change it back to R\O, or something else.

Here is the original XDA thread where I learned of this. It is way active and plenty of updates are coming along...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1312555

srgolub

Reaction score
Just curious...which build are you currently running and which 999 file did you try? I read somewhere there's a 999 file for each build - 5.5.999 for 5.5.893, 5.7.999 for 5.7.893, etc.

dags5000

Reaction score
not sure to be honest - i have reverted everythign to stock except kernel which im stuck on. this is the file i used which seems to indicate its what i needed:

Android - Folder Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
Maybe since my kernel is no longer from 5.5.866 its the wrong one? Do you have a different 999 that would be for 5.7.893?? if so , can you send a link?
Just curious...which build are you currently running and which 999 file did you try? I read somewhere there's a 999 file for each build - 5.5.999 for 5.5.893, 5.7.999 for 5.7.893, etc.

dags5000

Reaction score
one thing i find odd. So after restoring back to stock (except for the kernel), i tried reapplying the 5.7.893 leaked ota update. I was assuming it too now would fail since it would check the kernel and realize that its not stock and thus fail. HOWEVER, this didn't happen and the update worked. Does anyone have an explanation for why this 5.7.893 update doesnt seem to care about the kernel mismatch whereas the later ota leaked updates do? Maybe there is a chance that the final OTA won't care about the kernel check either and will just apply the new kernel and we have nothing to worry about. This is of course all speculation but i am confused as to why this worked.

In any event, I am rebooting now and am going to try and run the 999 update again - maybe now it will work. who knows. i will report my findinds.