Not open for further replies.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This does pose the question.... Again, why is Verizon trying to get people off of the 3g network?? I used to think that it was for the IOS devices to have their own network, then they went 4g.. I wonder if they intend to sell the 3g network to someone else??

Just me thinking out loud. I do know that they're being a pita about the towers they lease, how they want them outfitted with marker lights, and all sorts of stuff. But all you do in that case is say.... then go lease someone else's.tower... so I've heard lol :sly:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This does pose the question.... Again, why is Verizon trying to get people off of the 3g network?? I used to think that it was for the IOS devices to have their own network, then they went 4g.. I wonder if they intend to sell the 3g network to someone else??

Just me thinking out loud. I do know that they're being a pita about the towers they lease, how they want them outfitted with marker lights, and all sorts of stuff. But all you do in that case is say.... then go lease someone else's.tower... so I've heard lol :sly:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

I wouldn't say Verizon is trying to get people off their 3G network per se', it basically boils down to sales. If you walk into a Verizon store, (unless you know specifically what you want), Verizon is going to try and sell you the latest & greatest, which are usually 4G phones.
They'll always have their 3G network because 1.they need it for existing customers & 2. they need that frequency for existing customers. :D They ARE pushing their 4G phones though because basically they make more money off 4G customers. Out of the main 4 service providers in the US, Verizon is (& have been) rolling out their 4G service faster & across more of the country than ANY other service provider out there. And it's much more stable & reliable than anyone elses.

**tap'n**

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is all true, however it doesn't explain why Verizon is giving away free 4g devices to certain people for no discernible reason... giving away top of the line devices and not having a real reason why(suspected high 3g data use) they are, it makes you wonder... :D

Droid razr maxximized!!!! Xparent blue!!!

Last edited:

69copo

Reaction score
Can we count Europe in those 3? From what I understand they are faster and cheaper and still make money. Or can I just say Vodafone and be done with it?

vatothe0

Reaction score
Can we count Europe in those 3? From what I understand they are faster and cheaper and still make money. Or can I just say Vodafone and be done with it?

What good does signing up for Vodafone or any European carrier do me in the United States? How about providing a link to one of those European carriers that provide native coverage with no roaming charges in an area the size of the US for a comparable price. I'm all ears (or eyes as it is).

69copo

Reaction score
To be honest I can't. I just remember back in 2004 when I was in the UK for work for nearly two years I had a Vodafone with unlimited data and txt+talk and the bill was around £55. I'm not sure if they still offer it (you say no so I'll assume the same). I'm sure the intelligent person would have kept that plan if they were allowed to. As to coverage I don't remember but I know on several road trips to Scotland and Germany and France I never had a coverage problem or overcharges.

Last edited:

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Hey all, so the (original) Droid X in our family is biting the dust it seems, the camera is all messed up and it wont save any pictures... If we visited a local retail store, would we have a shot at a free replacement (we're out of warranty obviously), or would we have to use an upgrade and pay something in the realm of $200 for a new phone, all the while losing unlimited data? If we upgrade, 4G is the only way we're going with it.

Thanks.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
The issue with your DX is likely just a failing SD card. If you upgrade to another subsidized phone, you lose unlimited data. If you purchase retail or used, you can keep unlimited data. Over the long term, purchasing used via Swappa would make sense.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
The issue with your DX is likely just a failing SD card. If you upgrade to another subsidized phone, you lose unlimited data. If you purchase retail or used, you can keep unlimited data. Over the long term, purchasing used via Swappa would make sense.

Well would Verizon or a rep rather see fit to get me a free replacement of any phone, or am I looking at an upgrade that will cost around $200 for a solid Android phone?

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Well would Verizon or a rep rather see fit to get me a free replacement of any phone, or am I looking at an upgrade that will cost around $200 for a solid Android phone?

I've heard of people getting free replacements in weird situations before, but generally once you're past warranty, they won't help you. Doesn't hurt to try, but plan on a purchase if you don't have a spare card. And think it through before you give up unlimited data. There is no possible way i would stick through Verizon without unlimited data.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've heard of people getting free replacements in weird situations before, but generally once you're past warranty, they won't help you. Doesn't hurt to try, but plan on a purchase if you don't have a spare card. And think it through before you give up unlimited data. There is no possible way i would stick through Verizon without unlimited data.

This is generally true, however we often forget how much they need us, just like we need them. If you show that you understand that when you talk to the Level 2 technical support at Verizon, often they will be willing to replace even if out of warranty. Explain that without a phone, you are unable to make calls (i know, obvious but still should be mentioned), there's no sense in keeping service, and if you were to go elsewhere, there would be a new phone provided and you would pay nothing.

Also make sure you express that under no circumstances will you accept any phone if it means you will give up your grandfathered status on the unlimited plan. Say "That would be a deal-killer for us and we would simply take or business elsewhere."

Be humble, express your concerns for the member of the family and their safety being out of touch and unable to call 911, leverage how long you've been a good paying customer and how much you spend monthly (this is where it hurts them most), and how pleased you are overall with Verizon's service, how all your friends and family are on Verizon and that you frequently talk up the service to people with iPhones on ATT.

Don't hesitate to "ask for help". I know it sounds silly but ask and ye shall receive. If you are respectful and humble the rep will want to help, but if you are demanding, rude, act as though they owe you this, they will do nothing.

I have been a Verizon customer since 1993, and in all those years I've never paid for a phone. We presently have 4 phones on a family plan, 2 unlimited data plans, and spend about $200/month. Believe me, they're not losing money by giving us or phones, they may be making less profit but in percentages its small.

Do this not in the store, but over the phone, either by calling *611 from a cell or 1-800-922-0204 from a land line.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, very valuable info!

You're saying I have to stick with 3G? Or get a 4G but still demand a maintainence of unlimited data?

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
You don't have to stick with 3G. They just won't subsidize an upgrade if you want to keep unlimited data. You have to make a choice to pay a lot up front, or choke your data down to a point where 4G is almost useless. Or pay highway robbery for overages. I average 10 gig/month on my Razr Maxx without tethering at all.I would not, in any stretch of the imagination, save money with a tiered plan. But I'm not everyone. Some might be able to make it work for them. You can grab a Razr Maxx off Swappa.com for under $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.