Sprint ad knocking VZW data throttling?

droid.user

Reaction score
So my question is...Does VZW really throttle data for people with high usage. It has been discussed in other forums but wanted an opinion here or a VZW rep that actually knows.
Alot of people do tether their phones which does increase usage.however i do not and id assume the average person going to buy a smartphone these days do not know how to tether. I use my phone how it is advertised to me....streaming video, streaming music, browsing pages, all the above.
That being said how can companies advertise phones that do all of this and then throttle...i mean really 4G streaming netflix
My first month streaming netflix im over 3gb with half the billing cycle remaining

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The ad knocks TMO for throttling. Watch it again and pay attention.
[video=youtube;QAKNjEi3Xao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAKNjEi3Xao[/video]

VZW and at&t are knocked for their caps.

That being said how can companies advertise phones that do all of this and then throttle...
The same way others cap data.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
So my question is...Does VZW really throttle data for people with high usage. It has been discussed in other forums but wanted an opinion here or a VZW rep that actually knows.
Alot of people do tether their phones which does increase usage.however i do not and id assume the average person going to buy a smartphone these days do not know how to tether. I use my phone how it is advertised to me....streaming video, streaming music, browsing pages, all the above.
That being said how can companies advertise phones that do all of this and then throttle...i mean really 4G streaming netflix
My first month streaming netflix im over 3gb with half the billing cycle remaining

You're promised unlimited data, not any promised speed...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sprint will eventually do the same.

Yep but can't blame them for taking advantage of being the only one left. I just feel sorry for the people who left Verizon to go to Sprint because they think Dan Hesse cares about them or something haha...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yep but can't blame them for taking advantage of being the only one left. I just feel sorry for the people who left Verizon to go to Sprint because they think Dan Hesse cares about them or something haha...

But haven't you seen his commercials, he looks so sincere.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

OP
D

droid.user

Reaction score
very good point sorry i missed that, does anyone notice a throttle on VZW?
as being promised unlimited data and not speeds, can you really expect to stay under 2gb using the phone as advertised...why move to a 4G phone if you cannot fully utilize it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
as being promised unlimited data and not speeds, can you really expect to stay under 2gb using the phone as advertised...why move to a 4G phone if you cannot fully utilize it.

yeah it sucks for those who use their data legitimately, and that number will go up as more people get 4G phones, but we don't know what Verizon considers "heavy usage", could be high as 10GB a month or low as 3GB, it's all speculation and we also don't know how low they throttle speeds. I've never been throttled, but then I've only hit 1GB once I think, if that...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

But haven't you seen his commercials, he looks so sincere.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

haha yeah looks like a nice guy, but sprint switching to tiers is almost a certainty, especially if they start getting a ton of customers

i guess i just cant fathom going to a crappy network just to use unlimited data that i don't use anyway, just to prove some backwards point...i mean some people are switching to sprint even though they're grandfathered in Verizon, just out of principle. That's just silly.

Let me edit that...some people are "threatening" to switch to Sprint...we all know that it's all talk...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have not noticed my data throttled. Right now I get to deal with a lot of lte fluctuations... :( .

Cipherr

Reaction score
Let me edit that...some people are "threatening" to switch to Sprint...we all know that it's all talk...

Yeah, I cant see anyone with a GF unlimited plan on verizon going to sprint. Theres zero reason and zero benefit to. Im switching to sprint because I am not grandfathered, and I need unlimited somehow. Sprint is half the speed in my area 4G wise in comparison to VZW's average speed on LTE where it is available. But Ill have to take Sprint anyway so that I can grandfather a unlimited plan. Eventually I know all of these carrier networks will be fast 'enough' but what I dont know, is if any of them will ever offer unlimited plans again.

So Ill have to take half the speed, and a worse phone selection because I know as the years go by, we all will likely be doing more data usage on our phones, not less. Anyone without an UNL plan when those days hit is going to be screwed.

googlelover

Reaction score

yeah it sucks for those who use their data legitimately, and that number will go up as more people get 4G phones, but we don't know what Verizon considers "heavy usage", could be high as 10GB a month or low as 3GB, it's all speculation and we also don't know how low they throttle speeds. I've never been throttled, but then I've only hit 1GB once I think, if that...

Verizon probably starts throttling data users at around 10-30 gbs a month, using 1-5 gbs a month is not that much data, I know someone who used 127 gbs of data in one month so you really shouldn't worry about throttling unless your starting to hit over 10 gb's a month. When my area gets LTE and I get my new phone, I'm probably going to be averaging anywhere from 10-30 gb's. Delicious full HD netflix streaming to any TV I want through my phone. Sounds too perfect.
Edit:^^ worse phone selection on sprint? Verizon has the worst android phone lineup in the US in my opinion. You have the choice of power on a slower 3g network, or you have single cores on the faster 4g network. At least on sprint you get the best of both worlds. Even if their 4g is crap.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I use about 2-4gb every month and I haven't experienced any throttling. I know that's not exactly super heavy use, but 4gb is pretty substantial.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

Cipherr

Reaction score
Edit:^^ worse phone selection on sprint? Verizon has the worst android phone lineup in the US in my opinion. You have the choice of power on a slower 3g network, or you have single cores on the faster 4g network. At least on sprint you get the best of both worlds. Even if their 4g is crap.

Vigor. The HTC Vigor is verizons :icon_ nono2: That thing is all that I can see right now.

googlelover

Reaction score

Vigor. The HTC Vigor is verizons :icon_ nono2: That thing is all that I can see right now.

You can see a phone thats not currently out!? ;) I'm talkin bout released phones not rumored phones. Who knows, that could be the first HTC mid tier 4G phone.