VOIP Off Network?

celeri_p

Reaction score
Hi, hope this is in right forum. I have an LG Ally and nearing the end of my verizon contract. My question is, once I have fulfilled my end of the bargain, can I utilize my Android OS and WiFi including VOIP calling without being on Verizon or anyone elses network, just via my home or office wifi signal? Anyone point me in the right direction? Or have I spent a total over 2 yrs of almost $2000 for a paperweight :blink:. Thanks.

Paul

OP
C

celeri_p

Reaction score
help me out....80 views and no one knows?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can use google voice over wifi no problem

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can use google voice over wifi no problem

Every time a call is placed with GV, it gets redirected to VZW but, I can do everything else over WiFi on my phone that has no service ;)

Sent from my TB using Blue Xparent DF ;)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I was using Google Voice and GrooVe IP to make calls from my Xoom, it's in the description of groove ip - voip, voice without minutes :wink:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I was using Google Voice and GrooVe IP to make calls from my Xoom, it's in the description of groove ip - voip, voice without minutes :wink:

Haven't tried that! Does it use your GV number?

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Your phone can be used like a tablet over wifi, google voice, skype, viber, tango, or any other internet communication program. Just think of your device as a really small tablet, verizon wont care what you do with over wifi, they haven't found a way to charge us for that yet ;-)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
C

celeri_p

Reaction score
Well, I only ask because it was briefly turned off, and I first thought "F*** Verizon, I'll just use WiFi" but it wouldn't work. Is there an option I need to select to ensure it looks for WiFi and ignores availability of network?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well, I only ask because it was briefly turned off, and I first thought "F*** Verizon, I'll just use WiFi" but it wouldn't work. Is there an option I need to select to ensure it looks for WiFi and ignores availability of network?

Mine has been off since August! Haha!