VERIZON: The Thunderbolt should be RECALLED!!!!!

MTBryan

Reaction score
The ONLY people I know that are having good results with this phone are those who have rooted it.

It's odd that people complain so much on this forum yet everyone I've met in person with a TBolt loves the phone. Mine works great, does everything as advertised, and I'm not rooted.
I did have a problem with wifi before the GBread update so rather than complain to strangers, I called Verizon and they immediately sent me out a new phone.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

JRParsons

Reaction score
Gotta agree, stock Thunderbolt, been great except for the reboots, that have now been fixed. Also, agree that extended battery has been a godsend. Been sitting on an upgrade for a few months, but don't feel the need to replace this phone yet.

2001400ex

Reaction score
Gotta agree, stock Thunderbolt, been great except for the reboots, that have now been fixed. Also, agree that extended battery has been a godsend. Been sitting on an upgrade for a few months, but don't feel the need to replace this phone yet.

Exactly, I am looking forward to the second version of the razr, rezound, or nexus about this time next year, will be perfect timing. The way I see it, the people buying those phones this year will have issues for at least 3 months, our pain is over.

dmack

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't say over just little tweeks here and there. With smartphone doing 200000 things I find it hard to believe that any new top of the line phone won't have 6 months of issues. Just read every different phone forums that all have problems. Seems like every phone has great to bad experiences. Love my phone just restart every month

Sent from my ADR6400L

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm SICK AND TIRED of this phone, or should I say the crappy software updates they keep dropping on it. EVERY update creates a NEW screw up. Gingerbread has brought back not only random reboots but also lock-ups during use, of EVERY function on it. I've had it lock up when I'm texting, emailing, surfing, gaming and talking. This is unacceptable for a $300 phone that you are locked in to for 2 years. The number one culprit that seems to lock it up is an app you can't get rid of, Sense UI. HTC/Verizon have really dropped the ball on this phone. The ONLY people I know that are having good results with this phone are those who have rooted it. Once they strip off the bloatware, they have a phone that is exceptionally powerful and works well. Anyone who leaves it stock and allows the OTA updates has had nothing but frustration. I've TRIED to give you guys every opportunity to fix it but with a phone that now reboots or locks up 20-25 times a day, I've had enough. I COULD root it but I should not have to root a phone that I paid this much for just to make if functional.

If you agree with this and are on Facebook, please join this group:

Sorry to hear you are having such an awful experience with the Thunderbolt. Here's my suggestions: 1) after making sure you have both Backup and Restore checked in the privacy setting, do a factory data reset. If that does no good, 2) take the phone to a good factory Verizon store and ask them to reflash your OS. I think it is very likely that you've gotten a bad OTA update install. If neither of these fix your issues, have it replaced under warranty.

Good luck.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It's a mixed bag.

Verizon works with companies on phones, and can influence how fast a product is rushed. They DO NOT however work on how stuff like sense is created. So vzw really has no say on how sense is done.

However, verizon does know of bugs and whatever and can okay it.

Like I said it's a mixed bag. Verizon was really rushed with the TB. At the time vzw was the only carrier without a "4G" phone out. Sprint, Tmobile, and even AT&T had 2+ "4G" phones out. Considering vzw is one of the top 2 carriers in the USA it's kind of a disgrace. So they rushed out the TB to meet with the customer demand for "4G". It isn't the first time it's happened in technology and it surely won't be the last.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Think of how the Bionic owners feel. I would take a random reboot over my radio crapping out all the time. Some are on 4+ phones in a month or less

Boot Manager

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is a Duramax?

The diesel in the 01+ Chevy trucks. I was using it as an anology that just because a manufacturer should do something because of issues, doesn't mean they will. GM lost me as a customer because of it.

Boot Manager

illig

Reaction score
My stock tbolt is great. In fact I just bought two inductive charging bases so I can keep it topped off at home and at work just by putting the phone down :)

But if you're having such difficulties, I hear the new iPhone is damn near bulletproof... Plus you can bring it to a "genius" in a shiny apple store to help you with it. ;)

ANDR0lD

Reaction score
Listen OP, couple things:
No one wants to hear you ramble about something YOU could EASILY fix.
I believe someone stated it earlier but VERIZON doesn't PROVIDE the SOFTWARE for THE phone.
Lastly, DON'T all CAPS all THE freaking TIME.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

condray

Reaction score
Wow... Stop whining. I have had this phone since release and love it, never had an issue and gb has made it better. Almost doubled my battery life.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I COULD root it but I shouldn't HAVE to root it to get it to work ACCEPTABLY. My point is that Verizon sold a defective product because of THEIR messing with it and THEY should make it right. Rooting shouldn't be NECESSARY, it should just be something do because they want to. If this thing were a car, I could file a complaint and they would HAVE to do something about it!

That's actually inaccurate. HTC is the one with the poor software. The source kernel has a reboot problem. This still can happen with root if using this source kernel build. It doesn't happen to all though...and 15-20 sounds like a lot.

Personally I think sense sucks. Its slow compared to aosp. I don't really care for the overlay.

You shouldn't HAVE to root but if you CAN then why don't you. You will get more functions along with the stability ...and get rid of rebooting issues. Complaints to us accomplish nothing . I don't want MY tbolt recalled

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using DroidForums

kparks

Reaction score
I would love to root my phone so maybe it will actually work but have no idea Wtf to do

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would love to root my phone so maybe it will actually work but have no idea Wtf to do

Google Revolutionary. It's quite straightforward.

sent from my bolt