Verizon Tech here - ask away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrim13

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked already. Is there anyway to rename a gmail label for a shortcut to an inbox? If I have 3 gmail accounts (work, personal etc...), and I shortcut to them all on one page, they are all called 'inbox'... is there a way to rename one 'work inbox' and 'personal inbox' etc... Thanks!

cwmajors

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your help, Viperboy.

I'm in an area (northern South Florida) that should be well within Verizon 3G coverage, according to the map. But my Droid is stuck at "1x" signal pretty much all of the time. In fact, I didn't even realize that there was a "3G" notification next to the bars until I spent a day at DisneyWorld, where I had 3G coverage the entire time I was in the park.

Even more strange, I was going to go over to my local mall's Verizon booth to ask them about it, and waddayaknow- within a few hundred feet of the Verizon kiosk, I got 3G. When I went back out to the mall parking lot, it went right back to 1x. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say that VZW was bumping the signal near their store so people would think it was better than it really was out in the real world.

I just did a test using the Speedtest.net app, and it gave me 34kbps down, 804bps up, using "1x" at three bars. I'll try it again next time I see the elusive 3G pop up.

What could be causing this? Shouldn't I be getting 3G pretty much everywhere?

dewey123

Reaction score
most likely simple, but how do you remove excess icons once they are on the main screen? thanks

phatkat66

Reaction score
Hello again! Two new questions im not sure if I should be asking you or the community for an app for the first one but here it goes.

1) Is there a way to GROUP the Call logs together? For example, i called my brother 5 times through today AFTER speaking to my mother and I wanted to call my mother again by just going to recent calls but instead of scrolling through and seeing my brothers name 5x I could just see it once and if i wanted details on each call i could jus select him and check. (Hope i didn't confuse anyone)

and

2) My headphone port seems to be a little loose while im listening to music i sometimes hear static and the volume wavers, when i check the 3.5mm headphone port on the phone i can shake it slightly while the headphones is in and im starting to see this is the cause of the static and volume changing. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to tighten the connection and stop it from moving around?

Thank you =)

windstrings

Reaction score
I am planning on doing the steps to improve the call quality. Can you also list step by step how to put it back to the original settings if there is a problem with towers that aren't compatible? I know you said it was easy, but I would like to have it step by step written out in case I need to change it back. Thanks.

I made a contact called "programming menu for Droid" and gave it the number "##7764726"

Then under the notes section for that contact, I have all the detailed instructions in case after a year or so I forget and need to do it again.

1963grinch

Reaction score
When the screen is unlocked, I can't just hit the power/lock button on top to lock the phone when I want to. This used to work when I got the phone. I went back and played with a demo unit to make sure I wasn't crazy. This happened before the update.

I have done the reset to factory several times with no luck. It will lock on demand if I have not done the unlock swipe or dot pattern after the factory resets. I had downloaded some apps (I can remember moto torch, led scroller, etc ( I dont remember all of them)) and then noticed the lock button did not work right. A long press still gets the power down window so the switch is probably OK. I have tried screen mode widget and in the awake stay setting it still doesn't lock with the button. I also tried booting in safe mode with no luck. I also uninstalled all the extra apps with no luck.

Any suggestions on what to try next? The rest of the phone works fine.

Thanks, Jon

SM still doesn't make it work correctly? Seems like something in the SW. Take it into the store to see if they will reflash it. If not, a replacement seems to be the next step. You've done everything else correctly.

Viperboy thanks in advance...

How important, or is it necessary to *228 the DROID to improve ROAMING/SIGNAL, and if a person does... what would be the proper steps/options to follow.

Eh, I wouldn't say that important. They don't update PRLs (preferred roaming lists, what gets pushed to you when doing option 2) every day, so I don't do it too often. But if you want to do it whenever you feel you should have more signal, feel free to do so, but I don't know how much it will actually help.
Thanks for your help!. I ve'read all 56 pages and have learned alot. One last question: Is the "hard" reset (using keyboard etc.)functionally the same as the reset to factory?

Thanks Again, Jon

windstrings

Reaction score
I just did a test using the Speedtest.net app, and it gave me 34kbps down, 804bps up, using "1x" at three bars. I'll try it again next time I see the elusive 3G pop up.

I usually get between 900 to 1200 down and 700 - 800 up.. but I've gotten as high as 1700 down all off of 3g. But generally 3g does not have the saturation regular phone coverage does.... this is where AT&T really suffers... their 3g coverage is marginal compared to regular phone service.

When you use the speed test, it tries to pick the fastest server from where your at, but that too can change in an instant.. it can pick and then get a heavy load and the moment you hit "test" it may be slow for you making it look like your 3g is weak when its the internet server doing your test in reality.

You really have to try a few tests to come to any conclusion and maybe even a few different servers and take the average.

But no, 3g is "not" everywhere.. especially noted in the rural areas but usually its good enough you never notice issues, and its getting better and better all the time.

There are maps that show different types of signal.. some for data, some for special services such as over the air TV, and 3G that runs most of what your talking about.

Here is a map of 3g alone.
Here is a place you can choose different maps.. note how voice and messaging is different than 3g and some of the others. Click which service you are interested in and hit the red refresh map button at the bottom.
The red shows approximately Verizon Wireless’s 3G coverage. The competitors’ approximate 3G coverage is from publicly available information gathered as of August 2009. This does not show exact coverage. Wireless
service is subject to network and transmission limitations, particularly near boundaries and in remote areas. Customer device, weather, topography and other environmental considerations aff ect service, which
may vary signifi cantly in buildings. More recent 3G coverage may be available at verizonwireless.com/bbacoverage, wireless.att.com/coverageviewer, Sprint - Nationwide Coverage and Unsupported Browser.

Last edited:
OP
V

viperboy

Reaction score
Bump for Mod status :D
Congratulations! And thanks for this thread. I'm sure that many are reading along as I am, even though we aren't asking any q's. :clap:

Well thank you!

Apologies if this has been asked already. Is there anyway to rename a gmail label for a shortcut to an inbox? If I have 3 gmail accounts (work, personal etc...), and I shortcut to them all on one page, they are all called 'inbox'... is there a way to rename one 'work inbox' and 'personal inbox' etc... Thanks!

Unless you can do it from GMail.com and than resync your phone, no. Maybe make a new label and a rule to put a copy of everything in there that way you can use the labels? Just a thought.

Thanks in advance for your help, Viperboy.

I'm in an area (northern South Florida) that should be well within Verizon 3G coverage, according to the map. But my Droid is stuck at "1x" signal pretty much all of the time. In fact, I didn't even realize that there was a "3G" notification next to the bars until I spent a day at DisneyWorld, where I had 3G coverage the entire time I was in the park.

Even more strange, I was going to go over to my local mall's Verizon booth to ask them about it, and waddayaknow- within a few hundred feet of the Verizon kiosk, I got 3G. When I went back out to the mall parking lot, it went right back to 1x. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say that VZW was bumping the signal near their store so people would think it was better than it really was out in the real world.

Well, our 3G network is very extensive and you should get it pretty much anywhere you go, but I can't promise that you'll always have it. Check the coverage map. Does it show that you should have 3G at your house and close to it? If so, call Verizon and tell them that. They will put in a ticket and check the towers if it is a network issue. Did you ever see the "EV" on your previous phones when you were at your house? Try doing *228 option 2 before you call and see if that helps.

most likely simple, but how do you remove excess icons once they are on the main screen? thanks

Long press and hold on that icon, wait til the phone vibrates, and then drag that icon into the trash can at the bottom of the screen. Release when the icon turns red.

Hello again! Two new questions im not sure if I should be asking you or the community for an app for the first one but here it goes.

1) Is there a way to GROUP the Call logs together? For example, i called my brother 5 times through today AFTER speaking to my mother and I wanted to call my mother again by just going to recent calls but instead of scrolling through and seeing my brothers name 5x I could just see it once and if i wanted details on each call i could jus select him and check. (Hope i didn't confuse anyone)

and

2) My headphone port seems to be a little loose while im listening to music i sometimes hear static and the volume wavers, when i check the 3.5mm headphone port on the phone i can shake it slightly while the headphones is in and im starting to see this is the cause of the static and volume changing. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to tighten the connection and stop it from moving around?

Thank you =)

1) No way to do so. I actually like that it does that though. Coming from a BB, it didn't do that and I hated it.

2) Is it like that with all 3.5mm jacks? If so, I would bring it into the store. It's kinda hard to diagnose that over the internet :)

When the screen is unlocked, I can't just hit the power/lock button on top to lock the phone when I want to. This used to work when I got the phone. I went back and played with a demo unit to make sure I wasn't crazy. This happened before the update.

I have done the reset to factory several times with no luck. It will lock on demand if I have not done the unlock swipe or dot pattern after the factory resets. I had downloaded some apps (I can remember moto torch, led scroller, etc ( I dont remember all of them)) and then noticed the lock button did not work right. A long press still gets the power down window so the switch is probably OK. I have tried screen mode widget and in the awake stay setting it still doesn't lock with the button. I also tried booting in safe mode with no luck. I also uninstalled all the extra apps with no luck.

Any suggestions on what to try next? The rest of the phone works fine.

Thanks, Jon

SM still doesn't make it work correctly? Seems like something in the SW. Take it into the store to see if they will reflash it. If not, a replacement seems to be the next step. You've done everything else correctly.

Viperboy thanks in advance...

How important, or is it necessary to *228 the DROID to improve ROAMING/SIGNAL, and if a person does... what would be the proper steps/options to follow.

Eh, I wouldn't say that important. They don't update PRLs (preferred roaming lists, what gets pushed to you when doing option 2) every day, so I don't do it too often. But if you want to do it whenever you feel you should have more signal, feel free to do so, but I don't know how much it will actually help.
Thanks for your help!. I ve'read all 56 pages and have learned alot. One last question: Is the "hard" reset (using keyboard etc.)functionally the same as the reset to factory?

Thanks Again, Jon

Yes, that is correct.

phatkat66

Reaction score
I come from a blackberry as well i got use to that lol its just a cleaner look to me. I dont wanna see the same name 5-10x befpre i hit the name i want just because im use to going into call logs to call back someone i spoke to earlier

windstrings

Reaction score
I come from a blackberry as well i got use to that lol its just a cleaner look to me. I dont wanna see the same name 5-10x befpre i hit the name i want just because im use to going into call logs to call back someone i spoke to earlier

I agree that would be a little tidier.... Handcent will do that for text, but I don't know about calls.

jedibandit

Reaction score
Wifi

My droid will connect with my home server but it won't access the web for some reason. What am I doing wrong?

OP
V

viperboy

Reaction score
jedibandit said:
wifi. when I turn on the wifi I can't surf or use market. But I can with 3g

Sounds like a problem with your network than. I just double checked and I was able to be connected through my WiFi and access the internet and Market.

hemimoose

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with not being able to view animations or videos sent by MMS. I haved saved the one it would let me save. Didn't help. Not a reason to get rid of the phone but it is disapointing that a phone supposedly this advanced & definately this expensive can't do something an old Razr can do. Hopefully this can and will be fixed with an update. Seems like the developers dropped the ball on this one.
Viperboy, thanks for helping us Droid users with question/problems we have with our devices! I just have a couple issues that I'm concerned about:

1. Why is it that I still can't view some animated/videos that are sent to me by MMS? I have a friend that has another verizon smartphone (Blackberry Storm) and he has not problem viewing them.

2. When I check my Gmail account, it still shows some of the content (images) that are attached to the email as "question marks" instead of what it is supposed to be.

Thanks again, hope you can help!

1. What happens when you get them? If you press and hold, do you have an option to save? If so, can you then play it back from the phone? The 2.0.1 update fixed a problem with some MMS messages from LG phones not working properly.

2. Do you mean in a certain email? Did you click "Show Pictures"? Did it still happen after that? Would it happen to be a corporate account, by chance?

Sorry for not having answers, I just need a little bit more information.

OP
V

viperboy

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with not being able to view animations or videos sent by MMS. I haved saved the one it would let me save. Didn't help. Not a reason to get rid of the phone but it is disapointing that a phone supposedly this advanced & definately this expensive can't do something an old Razr can do. Hopefully this can and will be fixed with an update. Seems like the developers dropped the ball on this one.
Viperboy, thanks for helping us Droid users with question/problems we have with our devices! I just have a couple issues that I'm concerned about:

1. Why is it that I still can't view some animated/videos that are sent to me by MMS? I have a friend that has another verizon smartphone (Blackberry Storm) and he has not problem viewing them.

2. When I check my Gmail account, it still shows some of the content (images) that are attached to the email as "question marks" instead of what it is supposed to be.

Thanks again, hope you can help!

1. What happens when you get them? If you press and hold, do you have an option to save? If so, can you then play it back from the phone? The 2.0.1 update fixed a problem with some MMS messages from LG phones not working properly.

2. Do you mean in a certain email? Did you click "Show Pictures"? Did it still happen after that? Would it happen to be a corporate account, by chance?

Sorry for not having answers, I just need a little bit more information.

What happens when you save it and try to view it?

Status
Not open for further replies.