Verizon Plans to Stop Unsanctioned Tethering that Uses Unofficial Apps

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
"If they tried that to me I'd leave. They can have a debt collection contact me and I'll tell to piss off. Move to another provider. They will never get the termination money"

I love these responses! You do realize debt collection is only the beginning stage. Breach of contract can turn into a court case and they will get their money by court order VIA wage garnishments (oh even reimbursement for legal fees and court cost). So for whomever, go ahead break your contract, get tough and then you will have not only the provider after you but annoying debt collectors and good Ole Uncle Sammy!

Sent from my BURNTH3ORYX using DroidForums

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums[/QUOTE]

Yeah, such uninformed solutions to knowingly violating a contract...haha...like I said, everyone says this stuff simply because they're not being stopped.

Oowoon

Reaction score
I don't tether, but I'm aware others do, including one of my friends. I don't approve of the free tethering thing, so I stand by verizon on their decision, that. And where I usually go they have hotspots. Plus, I don't use 3G heavily.

Sent from Apex'd GB Droid 2

jseah

Reaction score
I had the paid version of PDA Net for a couple of years now, used it maybe once or twice. When I got the Thunderbolt in March and got the free mobile hotspot, I used it twice. When Verizon started charging for it in July, I signed up since it is unlimited. Used it twice since then, once on a family vacation to DC (daughter used computer tethered to phone to surf during the drive) and the second time was Hurricane Irene, when cable went out for a day and a half.

droidtom

Reaction score
I had the paid version of PDA Net for a couple of years now, used it maybe once

or twice. When I got the Thunderbolt in March and got the free mobile hotspot, I used it twice. When Verizon started charging for it in July, I signed up since it is unlimited. Used it twice since then, once on a family vacation to DC (daughter used computer tethered to phone to surf during the drive) and the second time was Hurricane Irene, when cable went out for a day and a half.

Don't know if you are aware but theyill turn this on and back off on the day you specify and prorate the charges. I do this when I need it and figure it might save you some money since you use it so infrequently. At least that way its only one call to set it up for a trip.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If they tried that to me I'd leave. They can have a debt collection contact me and I'll tell to piss off. Move to another provider. They will never get the termination money

Usually they'll end-up garnishing your wages. Tough talk doesn't work in that case, unless I suppose you don't have a job and so there's no wages to garnish.

Anathema

Reaction score
Though it should be noted...

Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be:
  • A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
  • Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
  • Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.
Then, you will only be affected:
  • When you are on the 3G network; and
  • When you are connected to a congested cell site.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Well looks like VZW atleast took a small step to reduce some tethering, although this is not tether related, it will no doubt affect those who use their phone's data as their ISP.

Network Optimization

While this is much better than what ATT/T-Mobile is doing it is still simply putting neosporin and a band-aid on a brown recluse bite instead of going to the hospital. If you have a site you deem congested, then upgrade it. At work when a computer fails to perform and lags the worker behind everyone else we don't slow down other people. We spend a little bit of money to fix the problem.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Though it should be noted...

And also...

How will I know if I’m in the top 5% of data users?
As of August 2011, the top 5% of data users were using 2 GB or more of data each month.

How do I know if I will be impacted by Network Optimization?
A good rule of thumb as of September 2011 is this: If you’re on an unlimited data plan, have a 3G device and are using more than 2 GB of data in a month, you’re in the top 5% of data users and will be impacted by Network Optimization when you’re connected to congested 3G cell sites.

Starting at the end of August 2011, if you are on an unlimited plan, are a high data user and had a contract prior to February 3, 2011, we’ll notify you through bill messages and on your My Verizon account if you may be affected.

How long will 2GB of data be the threshold?
We will update this number as the amount of data used by our customers changes over time. At that time, we will also update information on this website.

So 2GB seems to be the kicker.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Usually they'll end-up garnishing your wages. Tough talk doesn't work in that case, unless I suppose you don't have a job and so there's no wages to garnish.

No they don't. They sell your debt off for a cheap price to collection agencies. Then the collection agencies attempt to recover payment. It goes on your credit report for 7 years. They can't garnish wages lol. It's not child support.

Agencies will also harass u with persistent phone calls and mail. Keep ignoring and they offer you a cheaper payoff and remove from your credit history

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No they don't. They sell your debt off for a cheap price to collection agencies. Then the collection agencies attempt to recover payment. It goes on your credit report for 7 years. They can't garnish wages lol. It's not child support.

Agencies will also harass u with persistent phone calls and mail. Keep ignoring and they offer you a cheaper payoff and remove from your credit history

You clearly have no idea how it works. While the collection agency itself has no authority to garnish your wages, they can file suit against you, get a judgment and the court can absolutely order that your wages are garnished. Now if you take a settlement obviously it won't go that far. But of course in your original post that's not what you said. You said something silly like "they'll never get my termination money"

Believe me, if they want it bad enough they'll get it, and that includes taking it to court and having your wages garnished. Obviously, you'll settle before it gets to that point (unless you're not very bright).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You clearly have no idea how it works. While the collection agency itself has no authority to garnish your wages, they can file suit against you, get a judgment and the court can absolutely order that your wages are garnished. Now if you take a settlement obviously it won't go that far. But of course in your original post that's not what you said. You said something silly like "they'll never get my termination money"

Believe me, if they want it bad enough they'll get it, and that includes taking it to court and having your wages garnished. Obviously, you'll settle before it gets to that point (unless you're not very bright).

Yep...And collection agencies are particularly efficient at this. Lawyers on retainer or in-house, and I believe they can also include court fees in the tab.

JRParsons

Reaction score
There's a collection attorney who has an office around the corner from me, he either leases or owns a very large office building and drives a Lambo.
Garnishing wages is fairly easy. I've represented debtors, Unless they are judgment proof, I always settle. (Unless they have a valid defense as to why they don't owe the money, they never do)
If they are judgment proof they can't afford my fees anyway. But I have represented friends for free.