Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

RVdroid

Reaction score
From what the telesales person told me, the only way to get any 5gb or higher plans are to:

1) get a 4g air card
2) get a blackberry

they will not be offering 5gb tethering to any other phone or device except for those two.. so.. kinda :icon_evil: about giving up my kick butt plan to go into this droid :-/

That would be awful if you had to deny yourself of your droid. You will survive but still.....
I don't understand why they would support larger data plans for blackberry over androids, unless it's because in popular opinion blackberrys are more "buisness oriented".

I'm in NC, we're not going to get 4g until sept. > jan. from what I was told.
Is it too much to ask for providers to do preemptive upgrades to their network so that when they advertise a product you can actually get it?
I realize that it's some pretty serious work to upgrade every sub-network in the US but it's kind of frustrating.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
they will not be offering 5gb tethering to any other phone or device except for those two.. so.. kinda :icon_evil: about giving up my kick butt plan to go into this droid :-/

That's what is so interesting about the Atrix - it's a game changer. That is NOT tethering when docked to the dumb laptop. I'd have to imagine a similar set-up with a tablet dock is not far behind.

Probably won't matter much to VZW is they have capped LTE, but if they do offer an unlimited plan I suspect they may curiously not offer phones with capability like the Atrix. Or they will charge a ridiculous premium for those accessories. Lots of ways they can get you.

Of course, to the extent these HDMI ports are pretty standard, lots of 3rd party accessories could pop-up that would be compatible with smartphones like the Atrix. So you don't need data for your laptop or tablet, you just plug your phone in and your only limited by your data cap on the smartphone.

Mortiel

Reaction score
I just got my d2g from VZW last week and got an unlimited plan. While I was in the store I overheard another rep speaking to a customer telling him that he had a 2gig cap or maybe that's what it will soon be, or maybe he still has some outdated plan, I don't know. That's all I caught of the conversation but the customer didn't look happy. I guess I'm good for two years. I'm not too worried though, it seems like everywhere I go there's some fool with an open network I can access so I'm almost always running off of Wi-Fi.

That 2 GB cap is referring to the Mobile Hotspot/Tethering feature for smartphones (NOT to be confused with normal mobile broadband with a MiFi, Five Spot, or USB modem). The $29.99 unlimited data feature is still unlimited as far as I have read as of today... And I work for Verizon.

I do not know if that will change, but its that way now.

Device: Samsung SCH-I400 Continuum

Mortiel

Reaction score
Correct! We have Verizon customers with Verizon Mobile Broadband equipment, but Alltel ($59.99 unlimited) rate plans. An upgrade doesn't stipulate a plan change.

The way at&t did it is you had the.plan you have it as long as you want it. So my understanding is even if you sign a new contract you still have it as long as your not changing your plan.

Sent from my ADR6300

DroidForums Junkie!!

Not necessarily though. sure they can't force you mid contract, but once you're up for renewal they can definitely change it if they want.

This is true... they get you with the upgrade. If you want a current or more advanced mobile internet device, you have to upgrade to a current plan. Its that way with any legacy Verizon or Alltel plans.

However, to anyone out there with that Alltel $59.99 unlimited data broadband or the Nationwide Freedom plan, keep it! If you want a new device, start a new line before you get rid of that plan!

RVdroid

Reaction score
That 2 GB cap is referring to the Mobile Hotspot/Tethering feature for smartphones (NOT to be confused with normal mobile broadband with a MiFi, Five Spot, or USB modem). The $29.99 unlimited data feature is still unlimited as far as I have read as of today... And I work for Verizon.

I do not know if that will change, but its that way now.

Ahh..Good to know. It's been in the back of mind trying to figure out what they were talking about.
Thanks Mortiel.

rebaf

Reaction score
id heard that when the 4g comes out; 4g smart phones will get capped, but the 3g will stay the same. (from a different source then previously i brought up).

really, with all the talk and worry....if they cap any smart phone data they are screwing themselves (not talking about hotspot, tablets, etc.), as they will have a leg up on at and t and everyone else with the good network, unlimited data, and now i phone as well, plus nice droids....people are gonna go to verizon.

if they cap my smartphone, ill just turn it off and go back to land line internet....and i know im not the only one....which they have to be aware of.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
id heard that when the 4g comes out; 4g smart phones will get capped, but the 3g will stay the same. (from a different source then previously i brought up).

really, with all the talk and worry....if they cap any smart phone data they are screwing themselves (not talking about hotspot, tablets, etc.), as they will have a leg up on at and t and everyone else with the good network, unlimited data, and now i phone as well, plus nice droids....people are gonna go to verizon.

if they cap my smartphone, ill just turn it off and go back to land line internet....and i know im not the only one....which they have to be aware of.

You kind of lost me there. I can assume when you say landline internet that perhaps you're referring VoIP. But using the phone has nothing to do with data.

IMHO if they do cap the data and I'm kind of on the same page with you, I would think that might just be 4G, then it wouldn't affect me, matter of fact I would probably save money as I do so little anymore with my Droid other then use it as a GPS.

The people it will affect are the ones who hack into the 3G hot spot or 4G as the case may be. Other's who will lose out on this are people who use data frequently, like with Pandora.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really hope VZW can figure something out to benefit the consumer. I don't have the money to put more than I currently do toward a phone. If I'm forced into more, I'll probably end up on prepay without data at all.

You do know that if it came down to that, you could always get a prepaid LG Optimus V from Virgin Mobile and have unlimited everything for $60/month; right? Or if you're not a heavy voice user, they have a 300 minute/unlimited data plan for $25/month. The 1000 minute/unlimited data plan is $40/month.

For those prices, there'd be no reason to go without data.

Mortiel

Reaction score

You kind of lost me there. I can assume when you say landline internet that perhaps you're referring VoIP. But using the phone has nothing to do with data.

IMHO if they do cap the data and I'm kind of on the same page with you, I would think that might just be 4G, then it wouldn't affect me, matter of fact I would probably save money as I do so little anymore with my Droid other then use it as a GPS.

The people it will affect are the ones who hack into the 3G hot spot or 4G as the case may be. Other's who will lose out on this are people who use data frequently, like with Pandora.

Now I most likely am wrong, so anyone is free to correct me, but I thought Sprint had unlimited 4G data for the EVO but capped 3G. Like I said this may be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

tjoney

Reaction score

Now I most likely am wrong, so anyone is free to correct me, but I thought Sprint had unlimited 4G data for the EVO but capped 3G. Like I said this may be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

With the EVO and Sprint you get unlimited 4g and 3g. It is only capped 3g if you buy a 4g esb dongle.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking the caps are going to be on the 4G service and not 3G but we'll have to wait and see.

CrazeePolak

Reaction score
Im due for a new every 2 in july but happen to get a d2g last month free through a junked out droid 1... I see myself as a heavy user n monthly im at 1.2g data at the end of this month... I have unlimited rite now but I don't think a 2g cap would hurt me dunno....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Mortiel

Reaction score
Im due for a new every 2 in july but happen to get a d2g last month free through a junked out droid 1... I see myself as a heavy user n monthly im at 1.2g data at the end of this month... I have unlimited rite now but I don't think a 2g cap would hurt me dunno....

I personally think I could keep myself under 2 GB myself easily, but its the principle of the thing.

shdowman

Reaction score
The whole concept of capping the higher speed data is just ludicrous to me. Its like "here ya go kid..a super size candy bar...oh..you can only take two bites or we'll charge ya more for it"

Now, it would make sense to add a premium to the monthly fee ( you all didn't think you were getting 4g for the same price??) But a cap will only cause those paying attention to perhaps switch carriers. Otherwise, most people will have no idea what is going on. Sometimes people forget that vzw doest care about "us" they care about the uninformed masses who see pretty lighting bolts and will run in thinking its the latest and greatest.

I personally use my phone a lot and really see no reason to jump to the first 4g phones that come out. I don't really need it. Sure it'll be faster, but the coverage is going to be spotty for sometime and I don't see the need to give vzw any more of my money than I already do for something that has been working just fine for over the past year. That's just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

CrazeePolak

Reaction score
Yea but if u look at it from a bigger perspective like.... y should people who use a lil data pay the same as people who rape the network... they slow the whole network down if they rape it with their tethering and other stuff... so id say if u rape the network n slow it down for the rest of us then ull jus pay for it n that's that.... id say I use it alot n im almost 22 on my own plan n probably represent the majority of smart phone users... I don't think I've ever gone over 2g of data in a month... seriously if yur doing 3+ a month then u should get charged more