Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

frostthejack

Reaction score
I have already used 2.7 gb of data this month and this wasn't a heavy month for me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

shdowman

Reaction score
Yea but if u look at it from a bigger perspective like.... y should people who use a lil data pay the same as people who rape the network... they slow the whole network down if they rape it with their tethering and other stuff... so id say if u rape the network n slow it down for the rest of us then ull jus pay for it n that's that.... id say I use it alot n im almost 22 on my own plan n probably represent the majority of smart phone users... I don't think I've ever gone over 2g of data in a month... seriously if yur doing 3+ a month then u should get charged more

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

While I see your point, you are essentially making the argument for tiered data plans. The problem is that when you unleash much faster data capabilities to everyone, they'll actually start using it and you are a proponent of throttling everyone who is using the wonderful, new, heavily advertised tech. You are comparing what people do now on 3g vs what they'll do when they have 4g capabilities. Therefore you're logic is flawed. Secondly, the inherent problem is that with all these upcoming 4g phones, you will be forced to pay for 4g pricing, tiered or otherwise. For my part, I am just not seeing the "need" for that personally. Most places I use my phone for heavy data, I am in a wifi area. So why should I pay the extra for something I don't particularly need? But if I want a nice new dual core phone, I wont have a choice but to pay extra and that was upsets me. The other problem is that once people start getting a taste for what they can do with these faster speeds, they'll likely use it much more (and vzw will be counting on that) I only speak for myself in the argument and have no idea what others data needs are.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

CrazeePolak

Reaction score
Than ull be one of those who gets charged a lil extra... its like car insurance... u wanna drive a sports car? ?? Sports car insurance for ya...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My parents never saw the need for color television.

There will be a huge market for 4G. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon right away myself but I can already tell you that people who have had their phones for less then 6 months will pay top dollar for one of these 4G phones.

And with the 4G coverage that will be available when the phones first get distributed there are going to be a lot of unhappy people. I'm waiting at least 15 months (next upgrade). Then I'll look at the phones.

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You do know that if it came down to that, you could always get a prepaid LG Optimus V from Virgin Mobile and have unlimited everything for $60/month; right? Or if you're not a heavy voice user, they have a 300 minute/unlimited data plan for $25/month. The 1000 minute/unlimited data plan is $40/month.

For those prices, there'd be no reason to go without data.

You're right, if only they had service in my area. ;-) VZW is the only carrier with service in my area. Therefore, Straight Talk and Page Plus Wireless are my only other options because they use VZW's coverage.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Yea but if u look at it from a bigger perspective like.... y should people who use a lil data pay the same as people who rape the network... they slow the whole network down if they rape it with their tethering and other stuff... so id say if u rape the network n slow it down for the rest of us then ull jus pay for it n that's that.... id say I use it alot n im almost 22 on my own plan n probably represent the majority of smart phone users... I don't think I've ever gone over 2g of data in a month... seriously if yur doing 3+ a month then u should get charged more

Of course you say 3+ should pay more when you use 2, but if you used 4 you'd be saying 5+. Point is we all get UNLIMITED. Period. No one should have to pay more.

Now I do expect 4g to be higher, but, only if its unlimited. If its capped then its less valuable than unlimited 3g.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

nakhleh926

Reaction score

Of course you say 3+ should pay more when you use 2, but if you used 4 you'd be saying 5+. Point is we all get UNLIMITED. Period. No one should have to pay more.

Now I do expect 4g to be higher, but, only if its unlimited. If its capped then its less valuable than unlimited 3g.

I agree completely, besides, not everyone tethers, I don't tether and this is my usage, hate me if you want but this is what the phone was made for. We don't deserve to pay more just because we're using everything to its absolute fullest potential.
aefcf198-a335-ed0f.jpg

rebaf

Reaction score
id heard that when the 4g comes out; 4g smart phones will get capped, but the 3g will stay the same. (from a different source then previously i brought up).

really, with all the talk and worry....if they cap any smart phone data they are screwing themselves (not talking about hotspot, tablets, etc.), as they will have a leg up on at and t and everyone else with the good network, unlimited data, and now i phone as well, plus nice droids....people are gonna go to verizon.

if they cap my smartphone, ill just turn it off and go back to land line internet....and i know im not the only one....which they have to be aware of.

You kind of lost me there. I can assume when you say landline internet that perhaps you're referring VoIP. But using the phone has nothing to do with data.

IMHO if they do cap the data and I'm kind of on the same page with you, I would think that might just be 4G, then it wouldn't affect me, matter of fact I would probably save money as I do so little anymore with my Droid other then use it as a GPS.

The people it will affect are the ones who hack into the 3G hot spot or 4G as the case may be. Other's who will lose out on this are people who use data frequently, like with Pandora.
basically i mean that if they cap my data plan ill simply be done with mobile internet, divert my money spent on that to cable internet. then be able to use it as much as i want.
i dont find that mobile internet exactly falls into something necessary, so if im gonna pay for it; im gonna use it as much as i want without worrying about anything.
if i cant do that, then ill just get rid of it....pretty much that easy.
cable internet i can use as much as i want....problem solved.

as far as people hacking it....id say that probably represents a lot of users....if not hackers, those who use pandora, etc.

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I agree completely, besides, not everyone tethers, I don't tether and this is my usage, hate me if you want but this is what the phone was made for. We don't deserve to pay more just because we're using everything to its absolute fullest potential.
aefcf198-a335-ed0f.jpg

Wow! I don't feel so bad for using just over 5GB's, with tethering.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

peterjariel

Reaction score

aefcf198-a335-ed0f.jpg

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOlllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy crap. lol I stoped watching HULU cause I got to 8 gig and I thought I was bad. man Im goin back to watching my show lol dam thats alot of data usage lol

zero7404

Reaction score
if a current unlimited subscriber were to suspend their service and turn it back on after a tiered plan is put in place ... does that subscriber lose the unlimited data and have to choose from a tiered plan?

posted via android

nakhleh926

Reaction score
lol, don't feel guilty for hulu!
how did you get hulu to work though?

as for the usage I'm a very dedicated audiophile, all day every day unless there's a reason why I can't, on top of some youtube videos here and there as well as GPS when directions from friends are sketchy. I've never tethered once, it isn't really necessary imo. If it helps you understand I also don't have internet or cable, so music is one of my necessities.

edit: I'm sure there are others on this forum like me, don't be afraid guyz.

Mortiel

Reaction score
if a current unlimited subscriber were to suspend their service and turn it back on after a tiered plan is put in place ... does that subscriber lose the unlimited data and have to choose from a tiered plan?

posted via android

Your plan *should* be reinstated just as it was since you are still under the same contract, if it was just a suspension. This would not be true if you disconnected fully, as then you are not under contract.

Device: Samsung SCH-I400 Continuum