Verizon Blocks FoxFi Free Wifi Tethering!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The proverbial writing was on the wall. The application that granted subscription free wifi tethering on unrooted devices has finally stopped working on Verizon devices. I had heard rumblings of this starting a few days ago when some of you started to tell me that foxfi was no longer working on your devices, but I had not had the chance to test this out on my own. Of course today I was on the road and actually needed it and it is true, foxfi is no longer working on Verizon devices. I tried on a few devices and couldn't get it to work on any devices. None of my devices received an update from Verizon so as far as I know they have not taken measures to stop it device side.

There has been no mention from either Verizon or FoxFi on this. It isn't clear if Verizon has issued a cease and desist or if they have simply blocked the tethering traffic on their side. Hopefully it has just been blocked and FoxFi can come up with another work around. More than a year ago Verizon put the brakes on FoxFi disabling its methods. FoxFi pretty quickly released an update to circumvent Verizon's block. The update used some VPN trickery to make it work once more. Maybe they can come up with a similar work around.

Unfortunately this may be the end of wifi tethering for unlimited data users on Verizon. This on top of the $20 price hike could send the last few remaining unlimited users running for the hills. For now it looks like you will have to figure out a way to root your device and hack it to get wifi tethering working. This is increasingly difficult on Verizon as rooting methods are becoming pretty scarce.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Works on rooted marshmallow

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Now let's see if it bounces back..

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Another reason why I left big red. o_O

jsandy

Reaction score
I'm stuck with Verizon as the only reliable carrier in my area. I also live in a rural area and don't have access to any high speed internet (Hughes net and other satellite providers are absolutely not high speed) Verizon and Foxfi were my only options. I'm dumping my year old Note 4 and have a 128 Aluminum Nexus 6P scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
So if Kroger catches you stealing food from their store and they ask you or make you stop, you blame them and refuse to shop there any more? LOL
Absolutely. If I'm hungry and walk in there why can't I eat while I'm there? Am I expected to pay for the food while I'm in there? I don't think so. I'm entitled to be there so I shouldn't have to pay. And Kroger sucks. Tops and Wegmans is so much better.
/sarcasm.

It was only a matter of time before verizon finally found a way to stop this. I'm shocked it wasn't done sooner.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm curious, other then people like Jsandy, what is a legitimate use case to tether your phone and use cell data?

I have only ever done it, legally, for my job.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm curious, other then people like Jsandy, what is a legitimate use case to tether your phone and use cell data?

I have only ever done it, legally, for my job.
For work, that is blocked by a firewall. That's about the only time I tether or when I'm traveling and the hotel wants to charge me $4.99 a minute or some stupid amount for WiFi.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

The proverbial writing was on the wall. The application that granted subscription free wifi tethering on unrooted devices has finally stopped working on Verizon devices. I had heard rumblings of this starting a few days ago when some of you started to tell me that foxfi was no longer working on your devices, but I had not had the chance to test this out on my own. Of course today I was on the road and actually needed it and it is true, foxfi is no longer working on Verizon devices. I tried on a few devices and couldn't get it to work on any devices. None of my devices received an update from Verizon so as far as I know they have not taken measures to stop it device side.

There has been no mention from either Verizon or FoxFi on this. It isn't clear if Verizon has issued a cease and desist or if they have simply blocked the tethering traffic on their side. Hopefully it has just been blocked and FoxFi can come up with another work around. More than a year ago Verizon put the brakes on FoxFi disabling its methods. FoxFi pretty quickly released an update to circumvent Verizon's block. The update used some VPN trickery to make it work once more. Maybe they can come up with a similar work around.

Unfortunately this may be the end of wifi tethering for unlimited data users on Verizon. This on top of the $20 price hike could send the last few remaining unlimited users running for the hills. For now it looks like you will have to figure out a way to root your device and hack it to get wifi tethering working. This is increasingly difficult on Verizon as rooting methods are becoming pretty scarce.

I don't tether and my wife's and my lines are still on Verizon unlimited. I am gladly paying the additional $40/month to keep them.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good point. Haha

Yeah, I am always amused at the mock outrage that VZW doesn't like people stealing services from them... And you see the excuses people post...

"I can't get good internet out here, so I put 200GB a month on my $30 Unlimited plan and power my house with it"... LOL