How To Tether For Free On The Note 5!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Fox Fi was able to get free wifi tethering working on the Galaxy S6, and it looks like Samsung and carriers have not been able to block the method. FoxFi is fully functional on the Note 5 too. This also works without being rooted. It launches some sort of VPN which circumvents the subscription request on Verizon. You will want to be very careful using this method on T-mobile since John Legerge CEO has said he will be "going after the Tethering thieves". You can try out FoxFi for free or grab the key for $5.

via Play Store

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like it works on xperia z3v also. Nice!

Also works on LG g4!

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You know, I just have to say that I find it very strange how some phone manufactures are able to lock out Wireless Tether and other hacks, and even virtually prevent root (yes, Turbo has quasi-root, but it's still not the same), or prevent bootloader unlock, and yet other phone manufacturers are unable to keep the same control. Is it the unique hardware architecture from one phone to another that has inherent loopholes that the OS can be manipulated to take advantage of, or is it simply a matter of poor software development?

Seems to me, if the software prevents it, then the hardware has no say in the game and results. Also, many of the phones have much the same hardware architecture, other than different screens, RAM, radios and features such as wireless charging, NFC, SD card slots (or not), etc. I mean, if the phone has the same processor/coprocessor you would think it would be just as easy or hard to gain access to the system level control of the phone.

This may be a Kernel issue, a Bootloader issue, or something else, but since those are all custom written for the specific device, as well as the OS which is tweaked and skinned, I wonder if Motorola for instance, could lock down the Note 5 and Xperia Z3V, as an example, to prevent wireless tether, root and/or bootloader unlock.