Verizon and Unlimited Data

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo

comk4ver

Reaction score
This is what happens when you play clash of clans, instead of keeping up with more important ****. I guess I'll have to decide if I want to pay $720 in 24 payments or upfront. thanks guys appreciate it!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

4x4tx

Reaction score
I havent changed a line since verizion got sim cards.....so I take it thats the number they use to identify which phone is on each line now? Seems like is it used to be esid or something?

Thanks for your post, appreciate it

There are 2 things you can do.
If your tiered data plan line has an upgrade available. You can upgrade on that line and the contract will get extended for 2 years.
When the phone comes you activate it on the tiered data plan that you ordered it on, make a couple of calls and than check the website to make sure it is showing the new phone on that line.
Now you can re-activate the old phone back onto the tiered data plan line on the website by taking the sim card number from the old phone and putting it back onto the tiered data line.
You just click on change sim card and it will walk you through it.

After putting the old phone back onto the tiered data line you now have freed up the new phone to be activated on a different line.
You can now do a sim card change on your unlimited data line with the sim card from the new phone and activate it on your unlimited data line.
You now have your unlimited intact and a new subsidized phone on the unlimited line.

2. If your tiered data line is not eligible for an upgrade you can do what is called a buddy upgrade.
You click on upgrade for the tiered data line and it will take you to the upgrade options page for that line.
Under upgrade options you click on the drop down & select buddy upgrade, press continue.
On the next page you select your unlimited data line phone number that is eligible for the upgrade, than continue. Select phone etc.
This will extend your contract on the unlimited line 2 years but not change your unlimited data as you are not getting the upgrade, your tiered data line is.
When the phone comes you activate it on the tiered data plan line that you transferred the buddy upgrade to, make a couple of calls and than check the website to make sure it is showing the new phone on that line.
Now you can re-activate the old phone back onto the tiered data plan line on the website by taking the sim card number from the old phone and putting it back onto the tiered data line.
You just click on change sim card and it will walk you through it.

After putting the old phone back onto the tiered data line you now have freed up the new phone to be activated on a different line.
You can now do a sim card change on your unlimited data line with the sim card from the new phone and activate it on your unlimited data line.
You now have your unlimited intact and a new subsidized phone on the unlimited line.

This works because you activate the new phone on the tiered data line and move the new phone after activation to another number on your account. So you have met the obligation for activation and kept the phone on your account just different line.

I have done both of these methods in the last 3 weeks to get 2 new Droid Turbos on my unlimited lines.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I havent changed a line since verizion got sim cards.....so I take it thats the number they use to identify which phone is on each line now? Seems like is it used to be esid or something?

Thanks for your post, appreciate it

You are partially correct. Let me see if I can explain and clarify it better.

The MEID # on the phone is what Verizon uses to authorize which phone is on the line.
The sim card is what Verizon uses to tell which plan your phone is on.

So when you order the phone the MEID # gets put on your line waiting for activation and by using the old sim card instead of the one the phone ships with, Verizon never gets the switch activated for the new plan and you stay on your old unlimited plan.
The pending switch eventually drops of your account in a few weeks to a month.

comk4ver

Reaction score
And you don't have to pay for the data plan on the dummy line?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
And you don't have to pay for the data plan on the dummy line?

If it is a dummy line it will automatically get a data plan and you will not be able to remove it until the contract expires on that line.

If you use your old Sim card and don't activate with the Sim card that comes with the phone you may avoid having the data plan added to the dummy line.
I have not tried that particular scenario so I can't confirm if it will or won't add the data plan.

Last edited:

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I just talked to a customer service rep yesterday and she said they're offering 10gb of data for the price of 6gb and 15gb for the price of 12...I think..either 10 or 12gb. The prices weren't cheap... $80 and $90. She kinda confused me with the way she said it but anyway... I said no thanks... $80/month is too expensive. I'm the only person on the plan.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just talked to a customer service rep yesterday and she said they're offering 10gb of data for the price of 6gb and 15gb for the price of 12...I think..either 10 or 12gb. The prices weren't cheap... $80 and $90. She kinda confused me with the way she said it but anyway... I said no thanks... $80/month is too expensive. I'm the only person on the plan.

Yeah, they've offered some good deals. But I keep doing the math. If you're not a relatively low user (i.e. <5gigs per month), it's generally made more sense to pay full retail to keep unlimited.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I tap the 5 gig mark typically, on a single line it cost more for 2, 6, whatever they want to offer. I'm a happy camper paying $104 a month vs. $115 for less data.

We must...We must...increase our boost

s_cuttic

Reaction score
Check out swappa.com instead of paying full retail. I'm trying to figure out serving similar with amazon but that's a different thread. I can't justify paying $600 for a new phone....it's tempting though. $300-$400 isn't as bad but it still hurts...especially this time of year

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Check out swappa.com instead of paying full retail. I'm trying to figure out serving similar with amazon but that's a different thread. I can't justify paying $600 for a new phone....it's tempting though. $300-$400 isn't as bad but it still hurts...especially this time of year

That's really the frugal choice. I needed to replace my phone and wasn't paying full boat for anything less than 3 gigs of ram, and wanted Moto because I wanted the best call clarity. Didn't really have an option to wait 6 months for the Turbo to appear on EBAY or Swappa. Plus, for basically $200 difference I'd prefer a new phone covered under warranty.

I figure to have this phone for 4 years, unless a smaller but equally powerful beast comes out. Guessing my next phone purchase will be one of those modular deals in 3-4 years. Difficult for me to envision the Turbo being obsolete or underpowered any time soon.

s_cuttic

Reaction score
The turbo is on swappa but it's not much cheaper than full retail... $540 is the cheapest for mint condition.

I'm trying figure out what I'm gonna do. My droid razr maxx drives me insane because it freezes, lags, occasionally reboots on it's own and is just slow. I sometimes have to force it to power off because the screen won't turn on.

I want to upgrade but I'm not sure exactly how to pull off the Sim card swap trick...unsure if anything changes with your plan when you're forced to select new plan details.

My 10 year old laptop boots up faster than my RAZR unlocks and loads web pages and apps sometimes.. That's sad because my laptop is dying too... Blue screen of death about once a week.

s_cuttic

Reaction score
When you upgrade thru a 3rd party... Like amazon... And you select a data plan because you're forced to... I know you swap sim cards in the phones before booting the new phone for the first time but what I'm curious about is the "new" data pan that you selected... You don't have to pay for that and your unlimited data, do you? Like.. You're not paying for two data plans... Just one, correct? I was gonna pick the 5gb plan just in case something got fouled up during the phone swap process and I got stuck on a tiered data plan. I couldn't get by on just 2gb.

I don't mean to steal this thread. I was reading some other threads but couldn't find my answer. I read the article on droid-life and the one on slick deals mentioned above.

steeletown

Reaction score
I upgraded two dumb lines directly from Verizon without having data added to them. I just never activated the phones with the sim cards they came with.

comk4ver

Reaction score
I'm getting my new phone today from best buy, I'll let you guys know how that went