OK, we're down to the wire: Choose Unlimited Data, or Flagship Phone?

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
So, as we've all suspected/feared, Verizon will introduce the shared data plan BEFORE introducing any new phones. We won't be able to get the mythical Droid Razr HD in time to upgrade and keep our unlimited plans. Those of us ready to upgrade are stuck with choosing between keeping unlimited or waiting for the flagship phone.
So, given that "Lady or the Tiger" scenario, which will you choose? The flagship phone, or unlimited data?
BTW, Roger Cheng at CNET.com outlines your options for keeping unlimited data here:
Hoping to keep your Verizon unlimited plan? Here's how | Mobile - CNET News

I originally thought that unlimited data was more important, so I was planning to upgrade from my OG Droid X to the SGS3, and keep unlimited data for 2 more years.
On the other hand, it occurs to me that I rarely use more than 2 GB of data a month. I don't watch movies, since it seems impractical on 4.3 (or even 4.8) inch screen. I don't download a lot of music, or watch Youtube videos. Mostly just use data for web searches, weather, news, games, and an occasional song or video. I'm afraid to let go of unlimited because I MIGHT use more once I have a 4G phone.
The complicating factor for me is that I'm loyal to the Droid line....I LOVE my Droid X, and I really, really want the Droid Razr HD, even though its screen will (by all accounts) be smaller than the Galaxy SIII. ALSO, if I do choose the shared/tiered data, I'm on a family plan with 4 other phones, none of which use much data, so I could go with, say, 4GB and likely be fine.
So my choices are:
  1. Pre-order the SGS3, keeping Unlimited Data but missing out on the Razr HD, or
  2. Wait for the Razr HD, losing Unlimited Data but getting the phone I really want
So: Unlimited Data, or Razr HD? The Lady...or the Tiger?
Does anyone else face this decision? If so, what will you choose?
Or can anyone offer any advice or perspective on this for me?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Or, BUY the Razr HD and keep unlimited data. You don't have to use the "upgrade". It'll cost you full retail price but you get the phone you want and the unlimited data.

Or....use the upgrade for the SGS3, sell it on swappa.com when the Razr HD comes out and use that money (plus a little extra) to buy the Razr HD and keep unlimited.

Last edited:
OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to put this in the original post, but I forgot until I'd clicked "submit":
Buying a phone at the unsubsidized price is absolutely out of the question. I can barely justify paying the likely $300 for the Razr HD. $200 for the SGS3 I can handle. I'm married with two teen children, so money is more precious than gold. LOL.
So, five, six, seven hundred dollars for a phone? Not happening.

nikecar

Reaction score
Or, BUY the Razr HD and keep unlimited data. You don't have to use the "upgrade". It'll cost you full retail price but you get the phone you want and the unlimited data.

Or....use the upgrade for the SGS3, sell it on swappa.com when the Razr HD comes out and use that money (plus a little extra) to buy the Razr HD and keep unlimited.

+1...

I'd pick unlimited over a flagship phone any day. Flagships come and go every few months. If you hadn't heard about the DRHD at all, would you have gotten the SG3? Yes? that's your anwser. In 2 yrs there will be another flagship phone, or even 6 months.

If you wanted, get the SG3 now, then when the HD comes out, sell the SG3 for a nice chunk of change as close to retail as possible. Use that chunk of change to pay for the retail price of the HD. Technically, you shouldn't spend $700 on a phone. If you paid $200 for the SG3, and sell it for $500, then buy the HD at say retail of $600, overall, you'd be just putting and extra $100 into it, for a total of $300 ($200 from SG3 and $100 difference of the HD and SG3 profit.)

easier pill to swallow.

however, i use more than 2 GB so unlimited if great for me. I don't need a flagship phone, and can wait to get a prior flagship for cheap. I just got the Rezound for free. Still a good phone, regardless of the age.

Caesars

Reaction score
Ok everyone,go find a friend who wants an sg3 now but has no upgrade. When it's thur turn get the maxx hd...I understand this isn't exactly reliable but we all know someone we could con into a sg3 hehe.

OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
nikecar, you make some good points...if it weren't for the DRHD, I would already have my pre-order in for the SGS3. You've got me thinking.
There's nothing at all I don't like about the Galaxy, so why am I waiting two more months for a phone that hasn't even been officially announced yet? and might cost more anyway?
If I choose the Galaxy, I'll end up with a great phone AND unlimited data... problem solved.
Thanks! That's what I needed, someone to put it in perspective for me!

nikecar

Reaction score
nikecar, you make some good points...if it weren't for the DRHD, I would already have my pre-order in for the SGS3. You've got me thinking.
There's nothing at all I don't like about the Galaxy, so why am I waiting two more months for a phone that hasn't even been officially announced yet? and might cost more anyway?
If I choose the Galaxy, I'll end up with a great phone AND unlimited data... problem solved.
you are welcome.

We will always want the latest and greatest, but forget about looking at the here and nows. You will always wait for the latest flagship phone. You cannot go wrong with either phone, and as I said, you can always get a new phone, but you won't be able to get unlimited again.

Beka27

Reaction score

And if you can be happy with the S3 for 24 months, starting a new phone fund and banking as little as $25-30 a month will pay for your new phone outright. Or you can save a little less if you are not planning on buying brand new phones.

huskur

Reaction score
So, as we've all suspected/feared, Verizon will introduce the shared data plan BEFORE introducing any new phones. We won't be able to get the mythical Droid Razr HD in time to upgrade and keep our unlimited plans. Those of us ready to upgrade are stuck with choosing between keeping unlimited or waiting for the flagship phone.
So, given that "Lady or the Tiger" scenario, which will you choose? The flagship phone, or unlimited data?
BTW, Roger Cheng at CNET.com outlines your options for keeping unlimited data here:
Hoping to keep your Verizon unlimited plan? Here's how | Mobile - CNET News

I originally thought that unlimited data was more important, so I was planning to upgrade from my OG Droid X to the SGS3, and keep unlimited data for 2 more years.
On the other hand, it occurs to me that I rarely use more than 2 GB of data a month. I don't watch movies, since it seems impractical on 4.3 (or even 4.8) inch screen. I don't download a lot of music, or watch Youtube videos. Mostly just use data for web searches, weather, news, games, and an occasional song or video. I'm afraid to let go of unlimited because I MIGHT use more once I have a 4G phone.
The complicating factor for me is that I'm loyal to the Droid line....I LOVE my Droid X, and I really, really want the Droid Razr HD, even though its screen will (by all accounts) be smaller than the Galaxy SIII. ALSO, if I do choose the shared/tiered data, I'm on a family plan with 4 other phones, none of which use much data, so I could go with, say, 4GB and likely be fine.
So my choices are:
  1. Pre-order the SGS3, keeping Unlimited Data but missing out on the Razr HD, or
  2. Wait for the Razr HD, losing Unlimited Data but getting the phone I really want
So: Unlimited Data, or Razr HD? The Lady...or the Tiger?
Does anyone else face this decision? If so, what will you choose?
Or can anyone offer any advice or perspective on this for me?

Get the SG3 and then sell it when the Razr HD comes out. The cost of the Razr HD (full retail) will be offset by the sale of a highly sought after SG3. Have your cake and eat it to!!!

Then when the next phone that peaks your interest comes out just purchase it outright then sell the Razr HD to recoup most of the money you spend on the New phone.

Last edited:
OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Selling the SGS3 to fund the future Razr HD seems to be a common theme among the suggestions... What will likely do is keep the SGS3, but look at the Razr HD when it comes out, then decide which I want more. If I feel that the Galaxy is a better device, I'll keep it; if the Razr seems more compelling (by which I mean, worth the trouble of selling the Galaxy to buy it unsubsidized), then I'll make the switch.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I think you will find that the SGSIII will be a device worthy of keeping once the HD or any other device is released. The SGSII is still an awesome phone.

OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
And if you can be happy with the S3 for 24 months, starting a new phone fund and banking as little as $25-30 a month will pay for your new phone outright. Or you can save a little less if you are not planning on buying brand new phones.

I REALLY like this suggestion. After all, in 24 months, I should be able to see how much data I'm really using, and if it's worth the unsubsidized price at that time to try to keep unlimited data. Thanks!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im keeping unlimited. Now I did rush out to get the razr maxx only to return it. I realize the phone I wanted was the razr maxx hd and If I really want it bad enough ill save up for it even if it means me getting it after the the release day.

dmisc

Reaction score
Question:

When is SGSIII released?
According to the cnet article, June 28 is the day that vzn goes to shared data. If the SGSIII is released afterwards, don't you lose unlimited data, even though you preordered the phone?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If you pre ordered you're fine. If you order the 27th you're fine.. :) you will keep unlimited data :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!