Verizon and Unlimited Data

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
Currently have unlimited. New Nexus coming to Verizon. This is the first time I am faced with full price to keep unlimited.

Verizon rep said I could get 6 gig a month for the same 30 bucks (technically a penny more).

I usually do use between 5 and 6 gig a month, unless I'm travelling then it usually doubles. I don't seek out WiFi because why, 4G everywhere. So I could lower the usage by connecting WiFi more often.

But the question is, what has Verizon offered to others that have unlimited or if you have already given up unlimited, what did they give you other than the subsidy?

Thanks.

OG Droid to Galaxy Nexus to the 6.

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not giving up unlimited. Occasionally tether to the phone when home Wi-Fi sucks. Razr Maxx for me w/unlimited. Oldest daughter the same. Hubby has ancient BB Curve w/unlimited. Son has HTC1 with 5 GB for $50.00 (never used even 1, as his University has excellent Wi-Fi, and youngest daughter has a Samsung SG4 with 4GB for $29.99....

I don't trust VZW reps, so if needed, I will pay full price for phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Not worth giving up unlimited.
Same price only with 6GB of data.

Reactions: cr6

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wait couple months and buy the phone for 1/2 the price on swappa. Data consumption will only increase (upload 6 minutes of 4k video to youtube and there goes your 6gigs) and unlimited will be invaluable.
Me personally, I wouldn't settle for anything less then 10gb for $10, because that's what I'm paying right now for unlimited.

soulpatch

Reaction score
I guess it really depends on availability of wifi for you. I have it at home and at work so only need phone data in times of outages, when traveling, and to stream in the car. I switched to the 10GB shared option to have overage amount and because we got more off on the edge program. I didnt want to pay full price for phones so it was a hit I was willing to take. I use anywhere from 5-6GB and my wife uses around 1-2 so we have plenty of space.

I was concerned this past month when traveling but all the airports had wifi that I went to so I could stream movies while waiting on my plane and every bar/resturaunt seemed to have it as well. If looking up scores, facebook, or the like I am not concerned. When I went to check a balance though I switch to 4G to be a bit more secure.

4x4tx

Reaction score
Well the time has come to upgrade one of my lines and it looks like if I upgrade just one of them I have to change the plan for all of them which would cause me to lose unlimited data?

TatDroid

Reaction score
Totally depends on your individual usage. Like you, I NEVER used wifi when I had my unlimited plan, but unlike you I never used more than 3 to 4GB in a month. So the switch to the Max plan gave me 6GB for the same monthly cost I had been paying, plus a subsidised phone (saving me about $350). It was definitely the right move - for ME. We now have 2 phones with unlimited and 2 phones with Max on our family plan. Will soon be switching another one to Max, for my wife who never uses over 3GB.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Well the time has come to upgrade one of my lines and it looks like if I upgrade just one of them I have to change the plan for all of them which would cause me to lose unlimited data?

Somebody is giving you the wrong info.
You should not lose it for all lines just for upgrading one line.
Give us more details and we may be able to help you before they take your unlimited data away.
There are legal ways around losing your unlimited data and still be able to upgrade.
Just need your particulars on what lines you have.

4x4tx

Reaction score
Well when I log into verizonwireless and try to use an upgrade on any of my lines it tells me my talk and text plan is no longer avail....wants to upgrade me to a different plan.

Currently I have the 1400 min talk and text plan with 3 lines having UDP and one being on a TDP of 2gb.

I am still on that plan where I was getting $20 data plan credit per line and 3 of those lines being unlimited.

I dont want to change anything other than upgrading my one phone....

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
There are 2 things you can do.
If your tiered data plan line has an upgrade available. You can upgrade on that line and the contract will get extended for 2 years.
When the phone comes you activate it on the tiered data plan that you ordered it on, make a couple of calls and than check the website to make sure it is showing the new phone on that line.
Now you can re-activate the old phone back onto the tiered data plan line on the website by taking the sim card number from the old phone and putting it back onto the tiered data line.
You just click on change sim card and it will walk you through it.

After putting the old phone back onto the tiered data line you now have freed up the new phone to be activated on a different line.
You can now do a sim card change on your unlimited data line with the sim card from the new phone and activate it on your unlimited data line.
You now have your unlimited intact and a new subsidized phone on the unlimited line.

2. If your tiered data line is not eligible for an upgrade you can do what is called a buddy upgrade.
You click on upgrade for the tiered data line and it will take you to the upgrade options page for that line.
Under upgrade options you click on the drop down & select buddy upgrade, press continue.
On the next page you select your unlimited data line phone number that is eligible for the upgrade, than continue. Select phone etc.
This will extend your contract on the unlimited line 2 years but not change your unlimited data as you are not getting the upgrade, your tiered data line is.
When the phone comes you activate it on the tiered data plan line that you transferred the buddy upgrade to, make a couple of calls and than check the website to make sure it is showing the new phone on that line.
Now you can re-activate the old phone back onto the tiered data plan line on the website by taking the sim card number from the old phone and putting it back onto the tiered data line.
You just click on change sim card and it will walk you through it.

After putting the old phone back onto the tiered data line you now have freed up the new phone to be activated on a different line.
You can now do a sim card change on your unlimited data line with the sim card from the new phone and activate it on your unlimited data line.
You now have your unlimited intact and a new subsidized phone on the unlimited line.

This works because you activate the new phone on the tiered data line and move the new phone after activation to another number on your account. So you have met the obligation for activation and kept the phone on your account just different line.

I have done both of these methods in the last 3 weeks to get 2 new Droid Turbos on my unlimited lines.

comk4ver

Reaction score
I thought you had to keep the data plan on the upgraded line due to the August memo that closed up the Loophole

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I thought you had to keep the data plan on the upgraded line due to the August memo that closed up the Loophole

That is correct.. But for dumb phone lines.. Not is you have a data line already and are using it for upgrade but then switching to unlimited line

M8 tap'd

comk4ver

Reaction score
That's the thing the upgrade is on a dumb phone and of course I want it for my unlimited line.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
This is what the memo and closed loop hole was in August stated.

If you transfer an upgrade to a non smart phone line and get a new smartphone a data package will be added and even if you move the smartphone off of the line the data package will stay on the line you moved the smartphone off of.