USB Mass Storage Not Working

Phone4G

Reaction score
Hey, just joined the forum. Wanted to see if you experts have any idea what would cause this. Been using a RAZR MAXX that I "inherited" for a few weeks now. It's working well except for this. I can not get any computer to recognize the USB connection as a Mass storage device. Actually none of the connection types work - Mass Storage, MTP, or PTP.

I have tried 4 different cables and 3 different computers. It always acts the same. The computer loads some generic USB drivers, but no Mass Storage drivers. And on the phone screen I get this message when I plug in the cable, unplug the cable, and when I change the connection type in USB settings (with the cable plugged in):

"AT Command Service Stop"

I'm guessing that's not normal, but I'm not sure. It seems like it's a hardware issue with the USB port, but just thought I'd check to see if there is a known fix.

I have a workaround using WiFi and FTP to get files on and off, so it's not a huge deal. Just bugs me though.

I'm on JB 4.1.2 (not rooted).

Thanks.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
If you plug a USB cable into the charging port, does the phone indicate a USB connection?
If not, your cable might not be designed for data transfers, and might be a charge-only cable.
If the phone recognizes the cable, and indicates a USB connection, slide the notification tab down and change the connection type on the menu that should pop up.
DSCF1044.JPG
This screen, or something similar should pop up, allowing you to change the connection type for the phone.
This is from my D2.

OP
P

Phone4G

Reaction score
The cables I've tried all work with other phones to transfer data. With this phone I don't get the notification at the top indicating the cable is plugged in. I have to manually go to settings to change the USB connection type.

The only indication I get on the phone when the cable is plugged in is the message mentioned above.

OP
P

Phone4G

Reaction score
Pretty sure I tried that on one of the computers, but I'll double check.

But why would other phones work fine on the same computers, including my friend's newer Moto?

OP
P

Phone4G

Reaction score
No go with the drivers. Probably a HW problem. Oh well.

OP
P

Phone4G

Reaction score
Actually I just figured it out. Someone along the line (before I got the phone) put it in a funky test mode. To fix it I powered down, held the 3 buttons on the side and then picked Normal Boot (something like that).

Works fine now!