USB Mass Storage mode gone after JB update?

klopus

Reaction score
Anybody else noticed this? Before with stock ICS there were three USB connection modes - Mass Storage (appears as a normal external drive), Media Device and PTP. Now after JB OTA only the last two remain. I was always using the most convenient Mass Storage and now it's gone. Any way to restore it back? I have Win8 Home and latest Moto USB drivers.

Spey

Reaction score
Yes "only two remain".

I thought might have been related to something "I" was just missing. Couple weeks ago I went into corp Verizon store and pushed the OTA JB onto the store managers phone, and same thing. Also, had a few other issues related to MotoTools digital signatures and connectivity with laptop after JB OTA. Took a few days, and a few re-downloads to get things workin. Interestingly, while I was at the Verizon store pushing manager phone to JB, early on the MotoDrivers were still reporting as unsigned then after about four successive re-downloads the drivers began working with the OTA JB devices (our assumption we just happen to be in the right time and place for the drivers to get digitally signed by MS).

You will notice a few other changes, but for the most part USB connectivity related to mass storage and control of the device while connected are most frustrating. Secondly, rooting (if that's on your agenda - suggest that you root while device is fresh booted, or maybe wait to see if this issue will be resolved in alternate OTA Push).

Last edited:

KevlarBack

Reaction score
Try resetting these settings as they changed after my JB update.

Jellybean install must have turned off "Developer Options" under "System", seeing all the settings greyed out, I turned it on, and checked the option of "USB Debugging" and now when I plug in my phone to my computer I can see/browse the internal memory of the phone and view the contents of the external SD card.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Jellybean install must have turned off "Developer Options" under "System", seeing all the settings greyed out, I turned it on, and checked the option of "USB Debugging" and now when I plug in my phone to my computer I can see/browse the internal memory of the phone and view the contents of the external SD card.

Thank you! I didn't try that last night on my parents phone and just couldn't understand why was unable to transfer files. Made me mad!

Spey

Reaction score

This is correct - plus;
In my case I also need to have USB computer connection/Camera (PTP) checked.
This however only allows me to access the following:
Internal storage/DCIM & Pictures
SD card/DCIM
So, effectively only accessing photos on Internal & SD card of the XT907.

When Media (MTP) checked - I do not have access (Internal &/or SD card) via USB connection from computer.
XT907 does not even show in the directory tree.
Any ideas what setting I am forgetting to check here to be able to access various files on Internal and/or SD card?

Can anybody explain why anything related to Developer Options must be on for what seems such a simple daily task of accessing the SD card from your computer?
I had thought "Developer Options" to be reserved for more significant control of the device ...

UPDATE:
For a point of reference, here are the setting options on my 2nd Razr M (still running ICS for these types of references):
Mass Storage
Lets you transfer files to your external SD card on Windows and Mac.
Media device (MTP)
Lets you transfer media files on Windows, or using Android File Transfer on Ma (see www.android.com/filetransfer)
Camera (PTP)
Lets you transfer photos using camera software, and transfer an files on computers that don't support MTP

Last edited:
OP
K

klopus

Reaction score
In my case switching get on debug USB didn't help at all. Still only Media and PTP plus funny notification area icon for debug mode.

This lack of normal Mass Storage mode is really limiting.

lwags67

Reaction score
I should say, once I updated my Motorola files on my computer, I had no problem with the SD card being visible.

Spey

Reaction score
I should say, once I updated my Motorola files on my computer, I had no problem with the SD card being visible.

lwags67,
After updating your Motorola files on your computer is anything "visible" other than what I posted in Post #5:
Internal storage/DCIM & Pictures
SD card/DCIM

The issue of the OP was not to make visible; but to have access as "Mass Storage" like we had pre OTA JB update.
Effectively be able to transfer and manage files directly on the phone (Internal & SD) from a computer connected via USB (No Moto-Software involved).
I assume when you write "Motorola files", you are referencing the USB Moto-drivers to your computer?
From here: USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. Rest of Europe
Or here (USA): https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481
OR maybe or the MotoCast Software for USB Syncing and/or Wireless ...?

KevlarBack,
I previously tried what you referenced as solution on your device "Developer Options" & "USB Debugging" and these settings changes still do not allow me to see and/or transfer anything other than photos when in Camera (PTP) mode on the phone. PLease confirm are you able to access Internal Memory and SD-card for contents beyond photo as previously mentioned? Would love to have anybody confirm JB OTA Running and they can access there documents, etc. via USB Connection?

To Forum,
I spent quite a while online with Verizon Tech and senior level Motorola Tech today till I found one tech who said he had helped a lady a couple weeks ago to resolve this issue by "playing around with a few settings" (to get MTP to allow file transfers). Unfortunately, he could not remember specifics and had not documented the solution.

It has been my experience (relating to Device Manager) that if the device (Razr m XT907) does not show up in Device Manager under either Disk Drives and/or Portable Devices, that I will not be able to access Internal Storage and/or SD-card. Currently, when phone set to Connect as/Media device (MTP) it's not there (only displays as USB device - and with exclamation), and when Connect as/Camera (PTP) it displays under new heading of Portable Devices.

Personally I still believe we (at least I) am/are experiences a software related issue (bug, hopefully to be resolved in maybe 4.1.2 in near future along with maybe some software mod's to help Data Radio signal). That is, I am hoping that Motorola has not by design chosen to not allow users this access as part of the JB Update. I have found a page on the Moto-website that specifically stated that USB Mass Storage access was no longer provisioned, but that MTP should provide ability to transfer files to/from device (one of many new pages upped to the Moto-site since the OTA JB push).

From what I read the Razr HD versions are ending there soak-test of JB, and have started pushing JB via OTA as of midnight last night (12/6). So if this is a software issue, that has gone unresolved, it would me my hope that Verizon and Motorola are gona get a barrage of fresh unhappy folks calling in that are pissed 'cause they lost Mass Storage Access to their SD-cards and Internal Memory locations on their devices. My hope to help push for solution to what we are experiencing (provided it's more wide spread than just a few folks like I).

Last edited:

KevlarBack

Reaction score
"KevlarBack,
I previously tried what you referenced as solution on your device "Developer Options" & "USB Debugging" and these settings changes still do not allow me to see and/or transfer anything other than photos when in Camera (PTP) mode on the phone. PLease confirm are you able to access Internal Memory and SD-card for contents beyond photo as previously mentioned? Would love to have anybody confirm JB OTA Running and they can access there documents, etc. via USB Connection?"

-----------------------------------------

When connecting via usb to my Win7 machine, an autoplay window pops up stating XT907
and one option is "open device to view files" using windows explorer
I see the "internal storage" and "SD card"

"Internal storage" has approx 37 folders within it's tree, folders like Alarms, android, audible, Ringtones, com.espn.score_center, VMM, redlaser, media, movies, DCIM, DevIcon, DevLogo etc.

under "SD storage" I see .android_secure, DCIM, LOST.DIR, Pictures, ringtones, videos, DevIcon, DevLogo, etc. When I open DCIM I see "Camera" and within all my pictures and videos I took w/ the Razr M.

I can view everything within all the folders and copy and paste to and from both internal and SD card areas.

p.s. Just after my JB update when connecting to computer the first time it popped up this

-------------------------
Autoplay brings up a CD Drive Device Manager window with the options of

Install or run
1) Install Motorola Device Manager
2) general options, open folder to view files
---------------------------------------
I couldn't view the contents of my internal/SD card folders and I did NOT install the above. I figured out the Developer option setting and never installed the "Motorola Device Manager"
------------------------------------------
My system version:

"Android Version" 4.1.1 "Kernel version" 3.0.31-g2a89152 hudson@buildlinux16#1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Oct 21 16:24:40 PDT 2012 "Build number" 9.8.10_27-2

Last edited:

lwags67

Reaction score
Not near a computer now, but I do remember that XT907 was listed as a separate device with full tree of the SD card. Was able to transfer an MP3 audio books to the audio folder.

Should have read KevlarBack's response. My experience to a "T".

Spey

Reaction score
KevlarBack,
Thanks for your comments.
That's real interesting. Sounds like you were previously running ICS on your Razr M. When I first got my Razr M it was running ICS. Upon connection to computer via USB, the computer would not recognize the device until the Motorola Phone Device Drivers were installed from Motorola Device Manager (basically Win-7 did not have a driver that worked with the phone so could not see the device & also could would not charge the device). So, the Motorla USB Device Drivers were installed on my computer back when I was running ICS, and that allowed me to be able to transfer anything back and forth. After OTA JB I, when Mass Storage functionality had been removed, I updated the computer Moto-drivers - maybe this update is where the problem with MTP happened ...).

So, if I undersatnd you correctly you have the following settings:
Developer Options (On)
USB Debugging (checked)
Connect as (MTP)
and you can see the SD-card and transfer things like documents (.docx) software (.apk's), and things other than photos & media?

This does NOT work on my device :-( and with mass amount of time with SeniorLevel-Moto-Tech still no change/success.

Thanks,

Last edited:

KevlarBack

Reaction score
Yes, when first purchased it was running ICS. I don't remember specifically what software was installed or updated when I got it home when I first purchased it? like the Motorola Device Manager? I think I was alway able to view the contents of the internal and SD card after the very first plug into my Win7 machine after it recognized it and installed whatever software MS needed.

Yes, the settings you list are what I have, and while I didn't copy and paste an .apk file, I did just create a word document in the computer (.docx) and copied and pasted it to my SD card, was able to see it with the "Files" app and it opened and viewed the document

OP
K

klopus

Reaction score
Guys, I can see the SD card as well as internal storage, that's not my beef. Problem is that they appear as part of the Media Device and not as separate normal Windows drives (with a letter assigned to them) like it was in Mass Storage mode with ICS. There are many programs that won't work directly with the Media Device since they need drive letters to read or write files. I'm just trying to understand why the hell Mass Storage USB mode disappeared in JB and how to get it back.

KevlarBack

Reaction score
klopus,
You are right, when plugged into my Win7 machine, my Razr M appears under "Computer" along with my OS (C: ) and DVD RW Drive (D: ) as "XT907" and under this is where I see the 2 drives titled "Internal storage" and "SD card", so these drives are NOT getting seperate subsequent drive letters.

One drawback I see that affects me is that if I view my photos under the DCIM/CAMERA folder using explorer, if I right click on an image, I can NOT open the image say with Photoshop as the "Open with" option is gone. I have to copy the images and paste them onto my C: drive. I can however browse while within Photoshop and open directly from the SD card and open the images. This works for me and I'm not sure how to get the internal or SD card to be assigned seperate drive letters?

Last edited: