USB Mass Storage mode gone after JB update?

OP
K

klopus

Reaction score
I stumbled on this thread thru a Google search, so even though it's an old thread I just wanted to post the solution for those that find it same as me or haven't figured it out yet on here...

Go to settings>Storage>menu key>USB mode> Choose Mass Storage

Problem is that on both my Motorola M phone and Lenovo A2109 tablet USB Mode simply doesn't list "Mass Storage", only "Media device (MTP)" and "Camera (PTP)" choices. Both devices are not rooted and were over-the-air upgraded from ICS to JB by Verizon and Lenovo respectively. When they were on original ICS "Mass Storage" was available. It seems that JB (at least as packaged by Verizon/Motorola and Lenovo) to some reason simply doesn't want users to connect via USB as a Mass Storage (disk drive) device which is very unfortunate!.

Spey

Reaction score
klopus,
This is the same for me running Win7 on HP laptop.

I do not think coollikefonz read your OP #1, and/or does not understand how xt907 initially allowed users "Mass Storage" Access previous to OTA to JellyBean. Additionally, posts #"s 14, 15 & 16 further discussing limitations since JB.
Motorola deactivated this functionality with JB introduction to this device on both xt907's that I updated to JB (from ICS), and also xt907's that shipped preconfigured running JB.
I am just happy to have found solution to my issues, where I was unable to even move files around on my SD via USB remote connection (thank you forum members for confirming accessibility that I did not have).
Unfortunate condition for early owners expecting these options related to remote access to their files.
Would be great to find solution to OP (Drive Letter Access to Internal & SD drives).

Sent from XT907 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

nhirsch

Reaction score
I have 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 and had the same problem with not seeing the extenal SD card on my Skyrocket. I disabled developer options and dismounted and mounted my SD drive in Settings Storage and then it worked again.

Bleep

Reaction score
Have to use a card reader (micro SD to USB)

Problem is that on both my Motorola M phone and Lenovo A2109 tablet USB Mode simply doesn't list "Mass Storage", only "Media device (MTP)" and "Camera (PTP)" choices. Both devices are not rooted and were over-the-air upgraded from ICS to JB by Verizon and Lenovo respectively. When they were on original ICS "Mass Storage" was available. It seems that JB (at least as packaged by Verizon/Motorola and Lenovo) to some reason simply doesn't want users to connect via USB as a Mass Storage (disk drive) device which is very unfortunate!.

Workaround. I happened to have a usb card reader that came with my micro SD card. Similarly, if you don't have a card reader, use an old phone you have "lying around" to connect to the PC with a USB cable.

Unmount your sd card via your "Settings" (Left swipe on home). choose "more". Find storage. Then scroll down, down, to "unmount". Then click out the sd card, plug it into a card reader and voila.

On a side note-- if you are having trouble locating files you wished to transfer from your old phone (such as app-dependent personal info) .....install "astro file manager" app to locate the files. Droid Razr M has re-arranged the file structure, somehow, it made itself an "SD card" directory under the file named "storage".

You may find your files in the "storage" folder (Note: I think it was located in a folder in astro called My files 2)

In the storage folder, you may see " Sd Card 0" (I assume that was my old phone? ) and "Sd Card 1" . When I click on SD Card 1, I find all the files for Droid Razr M, including a folder each for "USB Disk Mount 1...2, ....3,......4,,......5......6..." I don't know what these are for. Clearly -- they are not for mounting the phone via USB cable to the PC .

:icon_ banana: