USB Mass Storage mode gone after JB update?

Spey

Reaction score
Appreciate everyone's comments on this thread. Found working solution to the fact that I could not access Internal Storage and/or SC-card from USB connected computer.
dancedroid

Removed all Motorola Drivers from computer (Device Manager - add/remove all Moto).
Reboot Computer (previous removal and or "repairs" to drivers I may not have rebooted each time).
Wiped cache-partition on XT907 (possibly this may have been the missing procedure ...)
Reboot XT907.
Reconnect XT907 to computer via USB and Re-Install Motorola Device Drivers (Motorola Device Manager).

Now when I connect via USB, I have directory tree access to Device Internal Storage & SD-card.
Then just a simple change to not open the annoying Backup Assistant popup upon every connection, and I think things are on track.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-m/232381-backup-assistant-plus-annoying-popup.html

Developer Options & USB debugging (must be ON & Checked) along with (MPT) as noted previously in this thread.

Thanks again to those who confirmed it works for them, to push me to find solution for my issue (corrupted Drivers from initial OTA JB push).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks spey... this will be a great post to point people to who are having the same frustration.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

OP
K

klopus

Reaction score
Good catch Spey. But it still doesn't solve the lack of Mass Storage mode after JB update.

Spey

Reaction score
Good catch Spey. But it still doesn't solve the lack of Mass Storage mode after JB update.

klopus,
You are correct, Mass Storage mode access is still not available. However, for those of us who could not even access storage (Internal and/or SD-card) to transfer file via (MTP), where we were only able to see and transfer photos under Camera mode, now at least I can transfer files without having to remove the SD-card from the device, and now have directory tree access from my computer.

My issues have been related to corrupted device driver download, or perhaps even related to possibly downloading drivers from the "Global" download site vs. the USA download site. When searching for the download page, I have found it quite possible to inadvertently go to the "Global" page. All I do know is that removing all M0to-drivers and resetting the phone and computer with fresh drivers appears to have corrected the issues I was having (for others I have talked to, this has solved there prob's too).

alcas74

Reaction score
Do u have the link for the U.S drivers. I can only find global.

Spey

Reaction score
Do u have the link for the U.S drivers. I can only find global.

Post #10 in this thread are links to both (Europe & USA)
I believe the USA Drivers are at the Global Link. Just make sure you highlight USA on the Global Download page (seems like that option was on the lower left-hand side of the page when I went there to create the link. I think some of my problems were related to having downloaded inappropriate version(s) of the drivers, then kept attempting to repair them instead of the delete/reboot/re-install.

Update: Correction - I believe I already had selected (drilled down to) USA on the Global Downloads page, so the link should be for the USA Drivers in post #10 (which is why I put the USA notation in parentheses when I created the link). This should be what you are wanting for USA device.

Last edited:
OP
K

klopus

Reaction score
Is there anybody with JB update that still has Mass Storage USB mode?

Spey

Reaction score
Is there anybody with JB update that still has Mass Storage USB mode?

Everything I have read (Razr M threads and Razr HD threads), including three personal Razr M's and local corp. store managers (that I updated to JB for him) ...
the answer seems to be NO.
would love to hear otherwise, and hope to find Moto-JB Update that provisions USB-Storage-Access again.
everything I see and read (including the new Moto-Manual w/Updates for the JB OTA 4.1.1 Push indicate access via (MTP) is only provisioning at this time.

I would like to know if the Developer Version of The-M, running JB, has USB Mass Storage provisioning?

The only access via USB to Internal Storage and/or SD-card (standard Razr M) is through the (MTP) setting on the device. Storage locations will appear on computer Directory Tree (but without Drive Letter Association - but you may be able to program Drive Letter Association from the computer).

Motorola Software Download:
Second option I have found is via USB Synchronization.
Third option I have found is via Cloud Synchronization.

Bridgetspace

Reaction score
Change to USB Mode

I stumbled upon this thread looking for how to turn this option on. After ICS update, I switched to "charge only" mode. With the new ICS software, you can turn the USB Debugging on in Developer options. However, I've found where the mode needs to be changed. You go under settings > press "menu" key below the screen > USB Connection Settings and VOILA!

Spey

Reaction score
Most everything in this thread related to JB (JellyBean), not ICS ( IceCreamSandwich).

Sent from my XT907

wkndwrz

Reaction score
So I just recently upgraded my phone from GB to JB, and one of my favorite things about GB was the ability to stream video off of my phone via USB to my Xbox 360 using Mass Storage mode so that my console essentially sees it as a flash drive. However, with the lack of mass storage mode in JB, that makes this difficult. Is there any way to do this, or an app that will allow the device to act as a flash drive? The Developer options fix mentioned earlier didn't work.

Spey

Reaction score
I stream wirelessly from my M to living room LED flatscreen via DLNA (movies, pictured, etc.) over my wifi network. I believe Xbox 360 also supports DLNA, so long as it's on network would assume easy playback option for the M.

Sent from my XT907

Ste87ven

Reaction score
This lack of normal Mass Storage mode is really limiting.
11.jpg

12.jpg

coollikefonz

Reaction score
I stumbled on this thread thru a Google search, so even though it's an old thread I just wanted to post the solution for those that find it same as me or haven't figured it out yet on here...

Go to settings>Storage>menu key>USB mode> Choose Mass Storage

Spey

Reaction score
Edited: wanted to make sure to test that Mass Storage - Drive Letter Access was not fixed (re-enabled) with most recent OTA to JB 4.1.2 prior to my initial post-reply.

Last edited: