Upgraded to ICS, battery life is terrible, is there a fix?

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
thanks man, A TON! seems to be doing it, hopefully give me more battery. How many hrs more did it give ur razr?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mine is charging up after getting 32 1/2 hours on a single charge, but your mileage may vary, depending on what apps you have installed and how your phone is set up, and how much you use it. :)

After it's done, go back into System Settings > About Phone and make sure it says .215 instead of .211

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Don't forget the battery meter training!!! MattyP!!

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
u have the max tho right? how i train my battery also?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah I have the Maxx ...

As far as battery meter training, you need to run the battery all the way down to 15%, it will show red in your battery meter on the notification bar.

Then turn the phone OFF completely, and charge it all the way to 100% ... a battery image will appear showing what percentage it's at. The screen will go off, but you can hit either volume button to check where it's at.

You do NOT have to do it EVERY time you charge it, but a good rule of thumb is about once a month or so. That "calibrates" the battery to the meter on your notification bar, and makes the battery behave nicely. FoxKat is the resident battery expert, that's why he dropped that reminder on me LOL :biggrin:

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
dude thanks again, hopefully will work out. Should i turn it off global and lte/cmda? or leave it on global

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
dude thanks again, hopefully will work out. Should i turn it off global and lte/cmda? or leave it on global

Did you check in About Phone and make sure it says .215?

Global is for international travel outside the US ... if you aren't leaving the country you can put it on LTE/CDMA ... I do, but I'm not planning on going anywhere LOL

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
yep its .215, yea will take it off global. So continously browsing the web on 3g, is 4hrs about right? just estimate with 50% brightness

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Cool beans ... another satisfied customer LOL

If yours is just a regular Razr, I can't even guess ... I just know the battery is smaller than the Maxx. It's essentially the same phone, just different batteries. Just remember the more you use it, the faster the battery drops. Just try it out, see how it goes with the battery. And don't forget to do the calibration I told you about. :)

jaybogg

Reaction score
Hats off to ya MattyP!! I've watched several of these threads, but it was always so convoluted with roots, unroots, reroots, fdr's TB's, Fastboots, and a whole bunch of other acronyms (enough to make a G-man jealous) that you couldn't have paid to get me to try it. That was so straightforward, I will probably give it a try sometime in the next week when I have some time. Thx again!!:biggrin:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hats off to ya MattyP!! I've watched several of these threads, but it was always so convoluted with roots, unroots, reroots, fdr's TB's, Fastboots, and a whole bunch of other acronyms (enough to make a G-man jealous) that you couldn't have paid to get me to try it. That was so straightforward, I will probably give it a try sometime in the next week when I have some time. Thx again!!:biggrin:

Thanks! Always happy to help. :)

jaybogg

Reaction score
Thanks! Always happy to help. :)

I would try it tonight but I have an unexpected road trip early morn. Son's car broke down so 3 hr drive to pick him up, 3 hrs back, so he can drive my spare car back to central Tx to use til he repairs his. On a side note, I plan to turn 4g lte off on the way there and see if I can modulate the problem of the battery actually discharging while using Google Navigation in the car dock even though it shows charging. In another thread, someone suggested that I try preloading Google Maps before leaving and seeing if this would modulate the problem as well. I would like to try that on the return trip, but am not sure how to preload the maps in navigation.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would try it tonight but I have an unexpected road trip early morn. Son's car broke down so 3 hr drive to pick him up, 3 hrs back, so he can drive my spare car back to central Tx to use til he repairs his. On a side note, I plan to turn 4g lte off on the way there and see if I can modulate the problem of the battery actually discharging while using Google Navigation in the car dock even though it shows charging. In another thread, someone suggested that I try preloading Google Maps before leaving and seeing if this would modulate the problem as well. I would like to try that on the return trip, but am not sure how to preload the maps in navigation.

I have never used a dock, so I can't say for sure. I always plug mine in with the car charger. :)

When you're ready to do it I'll be happy to help. Or just use this thread as a reference :)