Upgraded to ICS, battery life is terrible, is there a fix?

jaybogg

Reaction score
I have never used a dock, so I can't say for sure. I always plug mine in with the car charger. :)

When you're ready to do it I'll be happy to help. Or just use this thread as a reference :)

Yeah, it's a bit weird to have a 60% charge, drive for 4 hrs and have a 40-50% charge when you arrive. I travel a lot of backroads so I suspect the 4G.

When I am ready, I'll give a shout out and see if your online, if not, this thread was so straightforward I think even I could go it alone with the thread as reference.:hail:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a bit weird to have a 60% charge, drive for 4 hrs and have a 40-50% charge when you arrive. I travel a lot of backroads so I suspect the 4G.

When I am ready, I'll give a shout out and see if your online, if not, this thread was so straightforward I think even I could go it alone with the thread as reference.:hail:

You can always use the LTE On/Off app to set the phone to 3G only ... you're probably not going to get 4G on back roads anyway.

jaybogg

Reaction score
You can always use the LTE On/Off app to set the phone to 3G only ... you're probably not going to get 4G on back roads anyway.

My plan exactly!!:biggrin: I have noticed the phone actually gets a bit warm using the Google Nav App on these trips. Cools right back down after closing the Nav app.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My plan exactly!!:biggrin: I have noticed the phone actually gets a bit warm using the Google Nav App on these trips. Cools right back down after closing the Nav app.

I know it sounds crazy, but hold it in front of one of the AC vents for a few minutes. :p LOL

jaybogg

Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy, but hold it in front of one of the AC vents for a few minutes. :p LOL

Been there, done that!! And it works. Can prop it in the air vent on my truck and hold it in place w/ the charge cord. Calling it a night, early start in the morn.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hey matty, before you go... I may do the .215 leak tonight. Do you think doing the leak without rooting will improve battery life that much or do you think rooting and freezing apps is what really does it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey matty, before you go... I may do the .215 leak tonight. Do you think doing the leak without rooting will improve battery life that much or do you think rooting and freezing apps is what really does it?

Hey Tis! :)

The .215 leak has "fixes" within it that help battery life ... even for those who are not rooted. The fixes are built into the system, that addressed complaints from .211. You don't have to be rooted. :)

EDIT: Rooting and freezing the apps keeps those unnecessary apps that never get used from running in the background and keeps them from gnawing on the battery.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks! next questions... and I can wait to tomorrow for the answers.

If I root and the official update to ics comes out, how hard will it be to un-root to install that?

And if I don't root, I'm assuming going back to .211 from .215 with matt's utility will allow me to install the official update... is that correct?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks! next questions... and I can wait to tomorrow for the answers.

If I root and the official update to ics comes out, how hard will it be to un-root to install that?

And if I don't root, I'm assuming going back to .211 from .215 with matt's utility will allow me to install the official update... is that correct?

I'm a night owl, I'm always up late. :)

Rooting and un-rooting are both very easy. With "Voodoo Root Keeper" you can unroot and re-root with a single tap for taking an OTA. Just like I had Jackie do last night.

Yes, Matt's utility will take you back to .211 but if you are on .215 already there won't be any OTA, since you will already be upgraded. If something comes out after .215 then all you have to do is unroot using Root Keeper, install the OTA, and re-root. :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, well I just may go through the "epic" thread and hope I don't wake up the household laughing while following the instructions... There are definitely a few things I want gone. Backup asst, for one!

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm on .211!

If you are on .211 it's easy as pie. We can have you on .215 in no time. If you want to root as well it might take a little longer but I can walk you through it, just say the word. :)

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, if you are on .211 and not rooted, we can get you on .215 easily and then you can root it with Matt's utility later ... the utility is a large download and takes a while, but we can get you on .215 and you can root tomorrow or whenever. :)