Update Radio to Newest Version (does NOT require root)

inessi

Reaction score
be pretty sweet if the incredible seen as many devs as the droid 1 but not looking good with the amount of phones coming out so quikcly ,

but side note:
the question of signal strength of the radio. My phones been sitting in the same place for the past 30 minutes before the flash i had 1 bar and was at about -10# dBm (# it was varying between 102-108 so just used a # sign), now after the flash of the radio im at a solid -91 dBm.

so not a giant leap in signal strength but a nice little step in the right direction if you ask me.

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Oh don't worry about the developers. I think we're going to get our fair share of the love. There are a lot of people that really like this phone despite the difficulty getting hold of it. Just hang tight.

And that's a good step on the radio. Should actually make a difference. I'll probably do the S-OFF mod this weekend and jump the radio on up to 2.15. Supposed to be at least a little more improvement. Just don't forget, that step does take rooting. No way around it.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
Further, this will NOT prevent you from receiving the new OTA's as they come down the line. Nor should you have to backtrack on your radio version when the new OTA comes down the line. At least that is what I was informed of.

Every other forum/site that has instructions for doing this is saying otherwise. Not sure if they are being overly cautious or what, but they are all saying you most likely WILL need to revert back to the previous radio version before accepting the OTA or you risk bricking your phone. Just want to be sure about what I'm getting myself into.

Bowtie

Reaction score
Apparently, flashing the radio and rooting has gotten really popular with the non-release of the OTA this week. ROFL

And with the release of the OTA Froyo for the X, it will probably increase even more. Still no love for us Incredible owners.

KerrAvon

Reaction score
Well I took the plunge and did this. Worked good.

One question though, I now have the "Droid" sound when I boot my phone. I want to set that to be my notification sound but it is not in the list of available sounds.

Previously I had the ogg file saved on my SD card and was using it from there. The problem is it does not play the sound for the SD card actions when booting the phone due to the fact that the sd card is not mounted yet.

Is there a way to get the sound as my notification sound?

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Further, this will NOT prevent you from receiving the new OTA's as they come down the line. Nor should you have to backtrack on your radio version when the new OTA comes down the line. At least that is what I was informed of.

Every other forum/site that has instructions for doing this is saying otherwise. Not sure if they are being overly cautious or what, but they are all saying you most likely WILL need to revert back to the previous radio version before accepting the OTA or you risk bricking your phone. Just want to be sure about what I'm getting myself into.

Like I said, none of us can say for sure till the first person tries. The people on this forum and on Incredible Forum are both of the opinion it won't be an issue. There's always a chance thought, there's no doubt about that. Since I went ahead and rooted even though I said I wasn't, I doubt seriously I'll worry about OTA's anymore.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
HELP! I did the radio update, and the "DROID" bootscreen loads up fine, but it just hangs up there. ITs just a the red circle and 2 small red circles on the right of it.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
It can take up to fifteen to twenty minutes in the final stages. When the boot screen comes back up and looks like its stuck, it probably isn't. Just be patient. It can take awhile.

oops didn't read this! Thanks! it loaded up after waiting awhile!

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
No sweat. Trust me, it scared the hell out of me, too. I almost pulled the battery midstream and thought better of it, luckily. Definitely nerve wracking knowing what can potentially happen to the phone, but worth it.

Sooooo, how long till you root now? :rofl3:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Sorry, triple post. So, it requires a root for me to flash the Froyo ROM? The unrooted part is ONLY for getting the newest radio update?

If I'm wrong, how do I get my phone to install FroYo?

JayCizzo

Reaction score

Like I said, none of us can say for sure till the first person tries. The people on this forum and on Incredible Forum are both of the opinion it won't be an issue. There's always a chance thought, there's no doubt about that. Since I went ahead and rooted even though I said I wasn't, I doubt seriously I'll worry about OTA's anymore.

Ok. I'm thinking of just rooting and being done with it too. I just don't want to get in the habit of loading new ROM's every other day and stressing over CPU temps like I did with my Moto Droid.

Have you loaded the Unrevoked Forever (-s off) yet?

RyanPm40

Reaction score
No sweat. Trust me, it scared the hell out of me, too. I almost pulled the battery midstream and thought better of it, luckily. Definitely nerve wracking knowing what can potentially happen to the phone, but worth it.

Sooooo, how long till you root now? :rofl3:

Damn, I don't know, I'm really considering it XD.

So what is included in just this radio update? I noticed 720p recording is here. That's pretty awesome. I thought I could have my LED on during video recording, now? I can't find it. Or is that only after FroYo? My video also seems kind of blurry with movement. Could be cause of the dark room? So far I'm not noticing anything huge in difference, which is making me wanna root :)

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I haven't done unrevoked forever, but will be since I'm strongly considering the 2.15 radio update. I honestly don't see playing with ROMs every day. Skyraider is working outstanding and temps are all fine. Great way to get 2.2 with a few "extras". And yes, rooting does allow you to start working with the LED flashlight, something I am finding surprisingly useful.

OP
jkhonea

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Oh, sorry, and yes, you do have to root to get Froyo, but use the unrevoked methods and you're fine. If you're not comfortable with unrevoked forever, use unrevoked three. That works well also.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with rooting. What is the difference between Unrevoked 3 and forever?