Updating to new Thunderbolt Update

Jacob9424

Reaction score
I want to get the new leaked update but im not ready to root my phone yet. Is it possible that if i update with the radio version and they change it before it releases OTA can i still get that version?

Also can someone give me a link to download and instructions on how to install it unrooted?

1android

Reaction score
I totally understand why you would be hesitant to root, but let me tell you...one hesitant person to another, it ROCKS!!!!I started with a droid1, went to the droid X and everyone around me had a rooted phone it seemed like, though I was still scared to do so. got the TB and did some real research and asked a lot of questions. I rooted last 5 days ago and I love it. main reason....BATTERY!!! with my X I would take it off charger around 5am and by 3pm I was sprinting to a charger. with my rooted TB, I have been able to take of charge at 5am and go till 9PM with 10-20% charge left!!!!!

I used the long root method. Reason being is the long step shows you step by step how to do everything.
[video=youtube;mc6EMdPpF6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc6EMdPpF6o&feature=related]YouTube - How to Root the HTC Thunderbolt, Steps 2-9[/video]

I was a terrified android owner standing on the other side of the fence looking at all the fun everyone else was having. Now I'm on the other side and I love it!!!! I'm going to try some custom roms tonight. Do some research and ask some questions, you wont regret it!

1android

Reaction score
I think this what they wanted...not root instructions....
yes I understand that, but his first words were...."I'm not ready to root." I've been there for a couple years and was simply telling him not to be afraid of rooting where he would gain much more from.

Last edited:

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I think this what they wanted...not root instructions....
[RUU] 1.13.605.7 Radio 1.16.00.0402 signed - xda-developers

For those that have done this signed version, what do you lose?

Don't you get downgraded to the older market version? What else do you get downgraded to or lose in this process?

Also, what are the dangers of flashing this?

I'm a D1 guy that bought a TB yesterday and am also looking at flashing this, but without root and Rom Manager, I have no way to backup the original image in case something gets boinked...

I would root, but figured it would be best to wait until after the 14day trial period, just in case I experiece any HW issues.

djj624

Reaction score
Subscribed

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

neoterixx64

Reaction score
Has anyone got this ruu to successfully install. I updated and reverted to factory settings when I didn't get Google setup and internet to work. Does anyone notice how battery lasts now?

xXJakeXx

Reaction score
When someone installs and checks it out let me know how it is. Is there a eta on when the real release will be out?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

MrKleen

Reaction score
Since I have installed this I have seen some of the improvements but I have not really seen an improvement in battery life. There may well be one but I just haven't noticed it myself.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
I also installed it and really I haven't noticed any major differences in battery life it really anything for that matter... Well I have noticed a MUCH better 4G to 3G handoff where I used to have to reboot my phone often when going from 4G to 3g the data handoff is seamless

tsitalon1

Reaction score

Don't you get downgraded to the older market version? What else do you get downgraded to or lose in this process?

I'm a D1 guy that bought a TB yesterday and am also looking at flashing this, but without root and Rom Manager, I have no way to backup the original image in case something gets boinked...

I would root, but figured it would be best to wait until after the 14day trial period, just in case I experiece any HW issues.

Asking the above again....I think it got lost in the shuffle.

lazarus2297

Reaction score

Well if u are rooted and do the signed RUU then u would lose root, and all that goes along with that... if not then then you won't lose anything by doing the update the dangers are the same with any flash that you do at home... If for some odd reason you brick your phone then your stuck with a fancy paper weight. If this update is the one that VZW/HTC is gonna release OTA then if you wait for them to release it, and somehow your phones bricks in the update process at least they would replace it

tsitalon1

Reaction score

Well if u are rooted and do the signed RUU then u would lose root, and all that goes along with that... if not then then you won't lose anything by doing the update the dangers are the same with any flash that you do at home... If for some odd reason you brick your phone then your stuck with a fancy paper weight. If this update is the one that VZW/HTC is gonna release OTA then if you wait for them to release it, and somehow your phones bricks in the update process at least they would replace it

Yeah I guess my biggest question is how do I recover if the signed update fails and I do not have Rom Manager?

My guess is I don't :)

Can ADB be used on a completely stock TB ( that doesn't boot to OS) to push the original stock image back to it for recovery?

lazarus2297

Reaction score

Yeah I guess my biggest question is how do I recover if the signed update fails and I do not have Rom Manager?

My guess is I don't :)

I think your guess is correct and as for adb working for that... wouldn't think so but idk for sure